AHPRA and why UK Diploma Nurses shouldn't bother applying

Guest TheJinkIsBack

Yes I take your point - but why would they take just so long to make a decision based on something so elementary as not having a Degree - they have been asking me for extra evidence all the time (sylabus, etc...) all 37 pages etc... it is just weird I cant do the bridging program (even if I get that) - because of the cost and also because it seems you cant apply for a student visa either. So that option is out Is there anywhere I can find out about what NZ's requirements are please?... as alternative option ALso, does anyone know of any Diploma nurses that have recently succesfully achieved AHPRA registration please? I am waiting for AHPRA's decision since February. I am a Diploma nurse - and I am very worried because there seems to be some people being refused because they do not have a Degree. I got ANMAC acreditation (for degree) - but that aparantly does not count. And weirdly - I actually have a job waiting for me in Oz. And also, my agent who found the job for me seems to think I will get AHPRA. And yet if you look at this forum - it seems that Diploma nurses are being refused Can anyone help please?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I've recently joined this forum and I'm sorry if I burst anyone's bubble but I have just been told on Friday that ahpra are refusing my application for registration! They received my form on the 8th October 2013 and they have had me waiting 9 months to now tell me that my diploma is not recognised as it is not the equivalent to an ausralian bachelor degree. The most frustrating part is that I sent my form last year and there was no indication on any website to say that they would no longer be accepting English nursing diplomas. I'm also annoyed as the new assessment process for internationally qualified nurses was not introduced until February this year!! I wouldn't have bothered wasting all my time and money waiting for this reply!! I have been qualified for nearly 4 years and in that time i worked in a high secure hosptial in Liverpool (none of this seem to have been taken into consideration!). They have offered me the opportunity to do a bridging course. I am currently in Adelaide and I have looked at the fees in flinders universty and it says that it will cost me $23,000!! It's a full time course for twelve months which means I wouldn't be able to work to fund this. They have also said I can make a submission (which I assume it means it can appeal) but I'm unsure of what information I could give them for them to reconsider. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this please?? Or is there anyone who has beenin the same situation as me?? I don't think I will get my registration but I feel like I need to try.

Thanks in advance

Claire

That's dreadful news Claire, don't think you're bursting anyone's bubble, it's what we've suspected for some time. I thought the bridging programme was a 3 month course? Are you sure you're looking at the right one? It is run by a few Aussie universities, and is called the IRON bridging programme?

Also take a look at twitter, as there is someone on there bringing legal action against AHPRA because of these changes.

Best wishes,

Hi

I've recently joined this forum and I'm sorry if I burst anyone's bubble but I have just been told on Friday that ahpra are refusing my application for registration! They received my form on the 8th October 2013 and they have had me waiting 9 months to now tell me that my diploma is not recognised as it is not the equivalent to an ausralian bachelor degree. The most frustrating part is that I sent my form last year and there was no indication on any website to say that they would no longer be accepting English nursing diplomas. I'm also annoyed as the new assessment process for internationally qualified nurses was not introduced until February this year!! I wouldn't have bothered wasting all my time and money waiting for this reply!! I have been qualified for nearly 4 years and in that time i worked in a high secure hosptial in Liverpool (none of this seem to have been taken into consideration!). They have offered me the opportunity to do a bridging course. I am currently in Adelaide and I have looked at the fees in flinders universty and it says that it will cost me $23,000!! It's a full time course for twelve months which means I wouldn't be able to work to fund this. They have also said I can make a submission (which I assume it means it can appeal) but I'm unsure of what information I could give them for them to reconsider. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on this please?? Or is there anyone who has beenin the same situation as me?? I don't think I will get my registration but I feel like I need to try.

Thanks in advance

Claire

I think this is the news we've been expecting and we'd much rather people told us so we can have an idea! So sorry for you, it's absolutely devestating the effect this is having on everyone. Have you done any post grad courses? Re check the bridging course as I too have heard it's 10 weeks & about $10,000. I haven't applied to aphra yet as I was waiting to see what results everyone was getting. Don't see if there is any point wasting my money now! In desperation I looked at registering as a enrolled nurse but it states that overseas registered nurses can't apply. So what can we do?!?!?! Just heartbreaking to think all those years of training & working not counting for anything! Let us know how you get on with the bridging course. I am going to adelaide so I might be joining u on it!!! Nat x

My nursing qual is only Dip-He, but I am registered with AHPRA, and completed assessment I hold PR visa, I had to certify all additional studies and froward these, I had to send a date order list of all subjects studied since I qualified in Jan 2001, it was a nightmare putting in order, but I have been registered two ears with AHPRA and 14 years with NMC.

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum so please be gentle. This may seem long-winded but please bear with me...

I've seen plenty of threads discussing AHPRA with lots of puzzled/frustrated applicants so I thought I would gain as much information from them prior to siphoning our bank account on an application. I wanted to help others with my findings too - hence, this new thread. Here goes...

I've been having a "discussion" with AHPRA (and other users) on Twitter regarding my wife and her potential registration.

My wife has a Dip-He in Adult Nursing and five years post-grad experience (qualified 2009) in Stroke & ICU - Critical Care. We "were" intending to emigrate on a temporary visa and then go for permanent a couple of years later. However, with the recent "assessment" changes (in October 2013, implemented Feb 2014), AHPRA want Australian Degree qualified nurses (or equivalent to Level 7 on the AQA framework scale)... I guess you all know the drill there.

Anyway, back to my twitter discussion...

I have raised the question (more than once) why a Dip-He qualification and five years experience is no longer sufficient and their reply is the usual IQNMs are the way forward and working experience is not part of their assessment (feel free to check my Twitter feed). Therefore, the Dip-He will probably be classified as a Level 5 on the AQA scale - So no luck there.

I questioned how a newly qualified nurse (with a degree) with no working experience could possibly be viewed as a better candidate for registration over someone with five years experience. I'm still waiting for an adequate response to that one.

In addition, a tweet from AHPRA to another twitter user states the NMBA does NOT accept ANMACs assessments for registration purposes. When ANMAC say a Dip-He is equivalent to Australian Degree it means absolutely nothing to AHPRA for registration (just like the song - Oh Vienna).

I've also raised the question if the UK & Australia have reciprocal healthcare agreements for tourists, which they currently do then why is it ok for an Australian national to be treated in the UK but if the nurse (with a Dip-HE) treating the Australian national decides to apply to AHPRA, s/he is basically incompetent. The intellectual at AHPRA didn't quite grasp my point.

In conclusion...

1. Dip-He nurses - You're not welcome, seriously! Save yourself the fees ($520)

2. AHPRA does not currently acknowledge ANMACs assessments. Save yourself the $900 assessment fee.

3. If you have a Dip-He and want to "top-up" to a Degree, I guess you'll need to fund it yourself. Don't be surprised to be quoted around £2,700 in the UK or even more on an Australian "Bridging Program".

4. The only valid reason to be assessed by ANMAC is for the extra 10-15 points for the permanent visa application. However, if you've still "only" got a Dip-He, the assessment still won't gain AHPRA registration. If you're happy with that, good luck to you.

5. If you've a Dip-He, don't bother with the English test because even if you were to score 10's, your Dip-He qualifications aren't good enough (save £125 there).

Taking into consideration all of the above points, we are saving just over £3,500 by not bothering. That's excluding the Visa fees, medicals, flights...

Until things change... Good luck Australia in filling those nursing posts.

Paddy.

P.s I've nothing against degrees. If you've got one... Fantastic, genuinely, well done, I know how difficult it is. My gripe here is against common sense and people being ripped off.

That's dreadful news Claire, don't think you're bursting anyone's bubble, it's what we've suspected for some time. I thought the bridging programme was a 3 month course? Are you sure you're looking at the right one? It is run by a few Aussie universities, and is called the IRON bridging programme?

Also take a look at twitter, as there is someone on there bringing legal action against AHPRA because of these changes.

Best wishes,

Hiya

i might be looking at the wrong one cos I thought the cost sounded a bit steep, 'll have a look again today. I've started following that actions ahpra but I can't make out whether it's a scam or not. I just hope when I ring them today I've got son sort of chance of getting it...but I doubt it very much!

I think this is the news we've been expecting and we'd much rather people told us so we can have an idea! So sorry for you, it's absolutely devestating the effect this is having on everyone. Have you done any post grad courses? Re check the bridging course as I too have heard it's 10 weeks & about $10,000. I haven't applied to aphra yet as I was waiting to see what results everyone was getting. Don't see if there is any point wasting my money now! In desperation I looked at registering as a enrolled nurse but it states that overseas registered nurses can't apply. So what can we do?!?!?! Just heartbreaking to think all those years of training & working not counting for anything! Let us know how you get on with the bridging course. I am going to adelaide so I might be joining u on it!!! Nat x

Hiya nat

it's terrible isn't it? I can't believe it...especially the fact that they've had my application for 9 months and I've practically stalked them every week to get info off them and not once did they tell me they were not accepting diplomas! If that bridging course is only 10 weeks I could've had that done by now. I haven't really done any courses cos in my last job I got tied up being the lead nurse in productive ward so I didn't bother. I'll definitely have to look more into the bridging course I must have looked at the wrong one. I'm just about to ring them so fingers crossed!

Well I have rang and I basically have no chance of appealing unless I do the bridging course and go through the whole assessment process with ahpra once I've completed the course. For anyone who wanted to do the bridging course in Australia, you still need to apply through ahpra for them to refuse you because you need a letter from ahpra before any university will accept you to do the course!

They are not taking any experience into consideration-they said it has to be additional qualifications.

Thanks alant have just sent an email to that link to enquire about the online course. I'm hoping I can get this sorted soon.

Well I have rang and I basically have no chance of appealing unless I do the bridging course and go through the whole assessment process with ahpra once I've completed the course. For anyone who wanted to do the bridging course in Australia, you still need to apply through ahpra for them to refuse you because you need a letter from ahpra before any university will accept you to do the course!

They are not taking any experience into consideration-they said it has to be additional qualifications.

Thanks alant have just sent an email to that link to enquire about the online course. I'm hoping I can get this sorted soon.

Someone raised an interesting point, when they asked you for your extra criteria did they ask for any more regarding criteria 4, about your qualification being equivalent to a degree?

I wonder what additional qualifications they accept? Let us know how you get on with the bridging course, do they do one in adelaide? It's crazy, we have to pay to be told to do a bridging course & then pay again!!!!!!!! They should keep you on file & just register you once they get your bridging course certificate!!!!!!! I always thought the nhs was inefficient but I think this beats it!!!

When they had my form for a whole 9 months I was told at Christmas time by my registration officer that once I had received my reference from my manager then I had all the relevant documents for my form to be completed. Not once from then until now did they ask for any qualifications that matched degree level. When I rang she basically told me that I have to do the bridging course if I didn't have any other qualifications. I asked what was it that they were looking for once again (typical for ahpra!!) she couldn't answer my question.

I've found one in Adelaide but I'm unsure of the cost of it yet. I'm looking into doing it online from a uk uni....knowing my luck though ahpra won't accept it!! Ha

its terrible that you have to waste all that money knowing quite well you're gonna be refused... It's like some kind of money making scam!!

When they had my form for a whole 9 months I was told at Christmas time by my registration officer that once I had received my reference from my manager then I had all the relevant documents for my form to be completed. Not once from then until now did they ask for any qualifications that matched degree level. When I rang she basically told me that I have to do the bridging course if I didn't have any other qualifications. I asked what was it that they were looking for once again (typical for ahpra!!) she couldn't answer my question.

I've found one in Adelaide but I'm unsure of the cost of it yet. I'm looking into doing it online from a uk uni....knowing my luck though ahpra won't accept it!! Ha

its terrible that you have to waste all that money knowing quite well you're gonna be refused... It's like some kind of money making scam!!

Clairemolly, I think it's disgraceful how you've been treated, I would be sending in a formal letter of complaint! I think when you received any conformation that they (AHPRA)had received your application 9months ago then your application should be based on the rules then.

Ive been here 5 years and with a DipHE, so I'm glad I got in, but to only accept Degree level nurses then Australia is making a mistake. Yes there are Graduate nurses without jobs but that's because employers want experienced nurses. I remember qualifying in the UK 10 years ago and we all struggled to get jobs too. I'm in WA and there is a job freeze here at the minute because of Fiona Stanley opening next year.

They are apparently needing thousands of extra nurses to fully staff the new hospital, which I'm led to believe is coming from (partly) a recruitment drive from the UK. AHPRA is a pawn in a government led change of policy.

I know lass81 I can't believe it either. I'm thinking in writing a complaint letter but I know it falls on deaf ears when it comes to ahpra....they seriously don't seem to care! I think they have tried covering their backs by sending an email which states any form received after the 7th October will be assessed under the new guidelines.....they received mine on the 8th! The annoying thing is that it took me nearly a month to gather all my evidence for my application so I had been doing that form through the whole of September then add on the time it takes for a letter to get from the uk to oz!

Thats exactly my thoughts! All newly qualified nurses struggle to get jobs due to lack of experience! I think this is going to backfire very soon and they're gonna have to change the assessment guidelines back to the old one. Although that's not helping all us nurses now who are stuck in the middle of these changes.

Hi Everyone,

AHPRA received my application on the 21st October and I've yet to hear back re registration. I am University Diploma qualified Registered Nurse with 14 years experience (Mental Health) and I am currently living in Melbourne since March on a PR State Sponsored 190 Visa, due to my job (oh the irony). Only for the fact my hubby got a great job and is supporting the family we'd be home.

I applied to the Melbourne office but my application is currently in Sydney being 'finalised', I was told a month ago it would be at least another 2 months, they have all relevant/requested paperwork.......watch this space!

Kim

If you choose to follow twitterers advice rather than applying mate go for it. From your wifes quals and experience I would be looking at applying for a permanent residency visa. Don't even bother with the holiday one.

There are people on twitter, facebook and all those social media sites that would argue black is white if they thought it was going to wind someone up. That's a lot of people's idea of fun these days.

Hi Everyone,

AHPRA received my application on the 21st October and I've yet to hear back re registration. I am University Diploma qualified Registered Nurse with 14 years experience (Mental Health) and I am currently living in Melbourne since March on a PR State Sponsored 190 Visa, due to my job (oh the irony). Only for the fact my hubby got a great job and is supporting the family we'd be home.

I applied to the Melbourne office but my application is currently in Sydney being 'finalised', I was told a month ago it would be at least another 2 months, they have all relevant/requested paperwork.......watch this space!

Kim

Hi kim

the best thing you can do is keep ringing Everyday and demand to speak to your registration officer in Sydney. I was constantly on the phone to them trying to push for results, I obviously didn't want my application to be refused but at least I know now. It's a shame because they don't even take your experience into consideration and you have 14 years!! Just keep ringing tell them you need to know because you will have to book a flight back home because you can't afford to be waiting round any longer.

Hi,

What a nightmare everyone seems to be having. I applied to AHPRA in February I think it was. Just last week I finished forwarding university module details (Syllabus) as requested and they now state my qualification is under assessment and they can't provide a time frame. I am an advanced diploma trained adult nurse with 4 years in trauma orthopaedics and 2 years ICU. I am currently completing Bsc honours degree, due to the fact I was qualified more than 2 years before starting my degree I have had to do extra modules. I have completed 4 modules 3 are 30 credits at level 3 and one was 20 credits at level 3, I am just finishing writing my dissertation to complete this. I am hoping these extra modules I have completed at university will mean I am at level with an australian bachelors degree so I can get registration. The whole situation is very worrying, I am due to go travelling from November and was hoping to work with an agency to help find my trip around Australia. I guess if my registration is refused I may have to cut my trip short or even just not visit Australia. The agency I am signed on with have stated that nobody really seems to know what's happening at present.

K

Hi Clairemolly

I just wanted to thank you for your post and also say how sorry I am. I'm a Diploma Nurse who qualified in 2009 and applied in October too (I moved to Oz 18 months ago on a spouse visa as my hubby's an Ozzie). I thought everything was going to be straightforward with AHPRA (yeah right) but it's been one long nightmare. I was calling every week and NOT ONCE did they mention the new assessment criteria they were bringing in in February. When they did finally tell me (in March this year), I then had to get the NMC and Uni to provide further evidence as I'm sure you did too, yet they still didn't say that they won't consider Diploma.

I still haven't had a decision from them, but reading your post means I know what to expect. I just wish they'd put me out of my misery!! When I do finally hear from them I'm definitely going to appeal and think the more of us who complain/appeal the better.

I was also wondering what they said about your decision. Did they classify you as an enrolled nurse by any chance?? Obviously need to consider my next move - it's going to kill me to do a bridging course when I'm a RMN. Sure everyone else feels the same :mad:

Thanks, Lorna.

Hi

Thanks in advance

Claire

Totally agree, I am also RGN Dip HE (2000) and have a Health visiting degree. Just finished my midwifery degree in preparation to go on a permanent visa (this is a requirement to register and work as a family child health nurse in oz. Anmac assessment back, Ielts passed....All for nothing. Just glad I didn't part with the visa money and sell my house like some nurses on the Whats happening at Ahpra forum.

• 2 weeks later...

After only discovering this situation whereby UK Diploma nurses are being refused registration in Oz, I am now in full panic mode!! I have been qualified for 7 years and obtained a working holiday visa in March and booked flights for September. I am awaiting the outcome from AHPRA after submitting my application about 4 weeks ago completely clueless to all of this and the timescales. Subsequently, I have changed my flight until next year and hope I can undertake CPD modules to top up my diploma to degree. Does anyone know if this will be acceptable to AHPRA for registration?

As I understand Hollie there are some nurses who have dip he with top up degree that have been given registration, however ahpra reiterate time and time again that all applications are viewed on an individual basis. There is another thread what's happening at aphra - yes spelt wrong, Lots of info on there, ahpra are also on twitter so you may want to read some of their recent tweets. Hope this helps and best of luck :))

As I understand Hollie there are some nurses who have dip he with top up degree that have been given registration, however ahpra reiterate time and time again that all applications are viewed on an individual basis. There is another thread what's happening at aphra - yes spelt wrong, Lots of info on there, ahpra are also on twitter so you may want to read some of their recent tweets. Hope this helps and best of luck :))

I think the moderators have corrected the spelling mistake! So it does now read AHPRA! [emoji12]

Hi,

Are there any diploma trained midwives on this thread? I'm guessing were going to have the same issues as nurses with regards to diplomas v's degree etc. but my question is regarding the element that states you have to have caseloaded 20 women from early pregnancy to 4-6 weeks post birth. I know a lot of university's include a caseloading module now, but 5 years ago when I trained it wasn't included and how am I supposed to get that experience now when the hospital I work at doesn't have a caseloading team???

Anyone know anything??

Hi,

Are there any diploma trained midwives on this thread? I'm guessing were going to have the same issues as nurses with regards to diplomas v's degree etc. but my question is regarding the element that states you have to have caseloaded 20 women from early pregnancy to 4-6 weeks post birth. I know a lot of university's include a caseloading module now, but 5 years ago when I trained it wasn't included and how am I supposed to get that experience now when the hospital I work at doesn't have a caseloading team???

Anyone know anything??

I just completed 18 month bsc hons midwifery and only caseloaded 4 women. Even the 3 year degree students didn't caseload 20 women.