Cost of Living Brisbane \ adelaide

GoldcoastMAD

Trying to work out the cost of living in Brisbane and Adelaide, do the below figures look accurate? for a family of Four ( 2 adults and 2 children) am I'm missing anything?

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Austrailia bills ($)per month[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rent[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1800[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]food[/TD]

[TD=align: right]800[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]elec and gas[/TD]

[TD=align: right]320[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]petrol[/TD]

[TD=align: right]250[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]rates?[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]house insurance?[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]intenet[/TD]

[TD=align: right]100[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car insurance[/TD]

[TD=align: right]150[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car rego[/TD]

[TD=align: right]120[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]water?[/TD]

[TD]Included in rent[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]mobiles[/TD]

[TD=align: right]120[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TV Licences? [/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #F2F2F2]Web Hosting[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #f2f2f2, align: right]20[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Health Insurance[/TD]

[TD=align: right]280[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Monthly Total[/TD]

[TD=align: right]3960[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Im in Brisbane my food bill is higher per month than you quote, at the moment its around $300 per week plus extra bread and milk as and when needed.

My electric is less than you quote (around $700 pr quarter) ,and there isnt much Gas around Brisbane so no costs there.

No TV licence so no costs there. Freeview and DVDs work well for us.

We dont need ambulance cover in QLD and dont have private health insurance, we have found the public system fine.

You dont pay rates in a rental only in your own home. We do own our home and live on acreage and pay around $400 a quarter.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Have you had a look on poms in adelaide? There are quite a few threads on this subject, this is one of the more recent ones...

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/money-finance/42418-cost-living-comparison.html

Are you trying to decide whether to move to Brisbane or Adelaide?

Thanks Both, I will take a look at that forum. I got most of the costs from the forums, just wanted to check if I'm about right. Regarding the food bill , I'm pretty good with the shopping bill, no waste and we live of a fresh diet ( I used to be a chef and love cooking) which cost us about for about £80 £100 a week..i would expect to do the same cost cutting in Oz.

and yes I'm unsure of which city to move to...cost is important, but it will probably come down to work

• 2 weeks later...

Car rego is around $600 a year for a normal car

My car insurance (through Coles) is about $450 a year.

Contents insurance (through youii) is about $300 but that really varies depending on risk factors.

If your property is water efficient, then you will pay for water. Ours is about $50 a month from memory.

Not sure what you are factoring in for health insurance as they are all different but the people I have spoken to pay around $500 a month for good cover.

Don't forget to factor in doctors visits (unless bulk billing), all prescriptions we have to pay for and the dentist. I recently paid around $500 for check up, clean, small filling and 2 fissure seals to give you an idea.

We budget with food and probably spend around $700 a month which is the main shop at Aldi, meat at a butcher and fruit and veg at a market.

Also don't forget about school stuff. We pay around $150 a year for book pack, probably another $100 on uniforms and probably another $100 on trips, donations, fundraising etc.

Mobiles - I brought my own and pay $30 a month with Telstra (same as pay as you go) which does me well.

You will need to service the car (well should do anyway!) but no MOT to pay for obviously.

If the kids want to do any sports then they are often pretty pricey - often around $15 a session. You do get some short courses of things like AFL, cricket that come into the schools which are reasonable prices. We use the PCYC which have great prices.

Rent is obviously very dependant on area. We pay $2000 a month for a basic house in a good area.

Hope that helps. x

I can't help with family of 4 costs but here is some savings you can make:

I get unlimited internet in Brisbane for $59.99 (that includes line rental) tpg.com.au

mobiles i pay $17 a month for a good package vaya.net.au

Fuel is hard to say but it is about $1.50 a litre

Car insurance we pay $550 a year for a VW jetta

Think your elec/gas should be cheaper than that

rego is cheaper than that (can't remember off top of head)

Rent again hard to say look at realestate.com.au

I can't help with family of 4 costs but here is some savings you can make:

I get unlimited internet in Brisbane for $59.99 (that includes line rental) tpg.com.au

mobiles i pay $17 a month for a good package vaya.net.au

Fuel is hard to say but it is about $1.50 a litre

Car insurance we pay $550 a year for a VW jetta

Think your elec/gas should be cheaper than that

rego is cheaper than that (can't remember off top of head)

Rent again hard to say look at realestate.com.au

hi.

live in adelaide, family of 3, in a large 4 bed house.

you have underestimated food.

it's the biggest expense. i shop at a greengrocers and bulk cook and we cant' get our bill below 250 a week. fresh produce is very expensive. We are all eagerly awaiting ALDI stores, which should open in 2016 apparently.

as to utilities- adelaide has the highest in the country at present. i have lived in WA and NSW and SA is by far the dearest. I pay around $180 a fortnight on a payment plan for both gas and electric. That seems to cover heating and air con throughout the year.

Others will say it's cheaper, but I know what i pay is pretty average as i've asked a lot of families etc. smaller houses maybe....but overall it's fairly expensive here.

on the upside, rent can be a bit cheaper than the other states. depending on where you rent in adelaide- some areas are obviously cheaper than others.

Yes, food/groceries is a big expense for us (Adelaide, 2 adults, 2 kids). We shop around and frugally. I cook all our meals, nothing ready made and we can't spend less than $300 a week. I sometimes think if we didn't eat fresh healthy food we'd be better off as it is so expensive. It's the one area where we feel we should be able to cut down as it's all about choice but just cannot.

Rego, insurance, petrol will all depend on the car you get.

Water not generally included in rent here.

We don't have foxtel and survive. We watch far less tv than we used to anyway.

We have health insurance $108 a fortnight for all 4 of us including dental, hospital and extras. Ambulance cover $100 a year for a family.

We have solar so can't comment on electricity.

Internet we pay $60 a month but about to change to NBN so don't know how much it'll be yet.

Hope all this helps.

For 2 of us (& 2 cats), our grocery shop costs about 300 per week, at Coles or Woolies. We could be more frugal and do it cheaper, I guess. Farmers market for fruit, veg. and meat may lower that figure a bit. Shopping at Aldi is cheaper than the two dominant supermarket chains I would imagine.

Your rental figure for Brisbane is not high enough IMHO, but it depends what you are prepared to accept. We have a 3 bed townhouse in a good neighbourhood for 600 per week.

Very happy to be proved wrong.....

• Like 1

For 2 of us (& 2 cats), our grocery shop costs about 300 per week, at Coles or Woolies. We could be more frugal and do it cheaper, I guess. Farmers market for fruit, veg. and meat may lower that figure a bit. Shopping at Aldi is cheaper than the two dominant supermarket chains I would imagine.

Your rental figure for Brisbane is not high enough IMHO, but it depends what you are prepared to accept. We have a 3 bed townhouse in a good neighbourhood for 600 per week.

Very happy to be proved wrong.....

We are 2 and 2 cats too, not sure how we spend so much less on groceries?

Do you get your cat food from petbarn or the supermarket? Much cheaper in pet barn when on offer

We get it from supermarket. Our cats are getting through 3 tins of wet food between them a day plus cat biscuits.

If you can do your groceries cheaper good on you. :-)

Yeah pretty much the same on the cat food. I find you can get fancy feast tins on offer for 69c while the cheapest they get in the supermarket are $1. It's quite a big saving.

We're in Brisbane. Our rent is $440/week for a 2 bed detatched house on a big plot in Chermside. We spend about $200/week on groceries (2 adults, 1 hungry cat), usually about $150 at Coles and another $50 Aldi (usually including a few non-food Weekly Specials like cat stuff, knives, radio bla bla). Electricity and gas around $300/qtr combined, no solar. We have TPG internet unlimited with land line and 100 mins free international calls at $69/month. Eating out tends to be cheap, but we are into casual places, pubs etc. recently stuffed ourselves with beautiful food at a craft beer place for $24 between us. We find travel, hotels to be very reasonable, last weekend stayed in Byron Bay at a very decent hotel 2nights $245 all up, and that was a holiday weekend.

• Like 1

We are 2 and 2 cats too, not sure how we spend so much less on groceries?

Do you get your cat food from petbarn or the supermarket? Much cheaper in pet barn when on offer

We are 2 + 2dogs and spend a lot less than $300, well I suppose it adds another reason as to why dogs are better than cats:wink:.

We mix our shopping between Aldi, Coles & woolies, Aldi are cheaper but all their products do not necessarily meet to our tastes or preferences, so that's why we then use the others, Coles & Woolies are good for the specials and reduced stuff, but then we still only buy these if it is what we use normally.

We're in Brisbane. Our rent is $440/week for a 2 bed detatched house on a big plot in Chermside. We spend about $200/week on groceries (2 adults, 1 hungry cat), usually about $150 at Coles and another $50 Aldi (usually including a few non-food Weekly Specials like cat stuff, knives, radio bla bla). Electricity and gas around $300/qtr combined, no solar. We have TPG internet unlimited with land line and 100 mins free international calls at $69/month. Eating out tends to be cheap, but we are into casual places, pubs etc. recently stuffed ourselves with beautiful food at a craft beer place for $24 between us. We find travel, hotels to be very reasonable, last weekend stayed in Byron Bay at a very decent hotel 2nights $245 all up, and that was a holiday weekend.

Where is this craft beer place paisleylass? your power bills are good too we are double that.

We are 2 + 2dogs and spend a lot less than $300, well I suppose it adds another reason as to why dogs are better than cats:wink:.

We mix our shopping between Aldi, Coles & woolies, Aldi are cheaper but all their products do not necessarily meet to our tastes or preferences, so that's why we then use the others, Coles & Woolies are good for the specials and reduced stuff, but then we still only buy these if it is what we use normally.

Yeah it definitely does pay to shop around. I actually do the majority of my shopping at the grocery store and butcher in Clayfield and spend way less than some. Then pick up bits and pieces from the supermarkets

Yeah pretty much the same on the cat food. I find you can get fancy feast tins on offer for 69c while the cheapest they get in the supermarket are $1. It's quite a big saving.

Wow! 69c and the food of choice! We'll be off to Pet Barn next time! ;-)

How are your rates so cheap! We are on half acre and our rates are more than $700, I bet its my kids water usage!! :)

Im in Brisbane my food bill is higher per month than you quote, at the moment its around $300 per week plus extra bread and milk as and when needed.

My electric is less than you quote (around $700 pr quarter) ,and there isnt much Gas around Brisbane so no costs there.

No TV licence so no costs there. Freeview and DVDs work well for us.

We dont need ambulance cover in QLD and dont have private health insurance, we have found the public system fine.

You dont pay rates in a rental only in your own home. We do own our home and live on acreage and pay around $400 a quarter.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

We are also In Brisbane

Our electric is $200 approx pr mth and our gas is bottled and one bottle is $100 ish but lasts 3 or more months.

Car insurance is $37 pr mth for us

You dont pay rates renting and no TV license.

I dotn have private health, public has been great :)

Trying to work out the cost of living in Brisbane and Adelaide, do the below figures look accurate? for a family of Four ( 2 adults and 2 children) am I'm missing anything?

[TABLE]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]