What to do if you miss the school application deadline?

Aunt Agatha

Guest Guest 47403
My friend lives in Boston Spa and commutes to Leeds. It's a lovely little town with a good community. She had one child at the Grammar School at Leeds - http://www.gsal.org.uk and has one here - http://sjfchs.org.uk, which is obviously Harrogate. Her daughter gets the bus to Harrogate.

Boston Spa is lovely, your friend must be minted if she has kids at Leeds Grammar lol

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harrogate itself is not great for work, most work is in Leeds, Harrogate is nice but not worth living in if you have to commute to Leeds IME. There are nice areas closer to Leeds without the nightmare commute.

Are there many tier 3 data centres around leeds?

Guest Guest 47403
Are there many tier 3 data centres around leeds?

Plenty, the company I have just finished working for looked after loads for different companies as we were an outsourcing company, we also had our huge own tier 4 in Leeds as do a number of other companies I did a load of netapp installs for Morrisons in Bradford at there data centre.

Boston Spa is lovely, your friend must be minted if she has kids at Leeds Grammar lol

They were until they sent him! . He's left now and doing sixth form in a state school in Wetherby, I think....

Boston Spa is lovely - I could live there. So easy to get anywhere from there too.

That's exactly it Gbye Grey Sky, we need to be "on the ground". Yes I've noticed the increased rents around a good school when searching on Rightmove and I read that a property in a good catchment can add 20% to it's sale price.

This moving countries thing is not for the faint hearted. My head is spinning.

Hello again AA. I feel for you this is a hard one. We have 2 little ones too, and a storm was whizzing around in my head. I remember being in Canberra between Xmas and NY frantically applying with North Somerset council using a wrong password we used 4 years before, that blocked our account, had to call the council when everyone was on holidays, emailed to wrong dept, had to chase, got the right dept, all the time the clock was ticking, and finally hit the send button 3 hours before shut of point 14th Jan I think it was........my blood is bubbling up just recalling this episode..

Now, you have time and lots of it- almost 1/2 a year or so worst case. Don't panic, deep breath and take some time to think things through. Compartmentalise, prioritise, and form a plan. Believe me its the only way. I handed in my notice at work in AU Mid Nov and everything was in place and dealt with by the time we left in Mid Jan. It can be done.

IMO, if your planning to return home anyway, you may as well get underway and get back sooner than you originally planned, AU circumstances permitting of course. No point in hanging around in AU with time to kill if there are Schools to fix up here, as this will be your priority. If you decide to do this, get things moving. Finalise job offer as this will drive where you return to, then start looking at area's/Schools simultaneously. Book flights and and organise packers, start closing things down. Arriving in UK in winter is the best time, believe me. You'll have welcome relief from the heat, and you'll REALLY appreciate what spring has to offer when it comes, not to mention Xmas and the like at home with family. Then get out and about, booking slots with Schools to view, research, look at rentals / mortgage, and you'll find everything starts to fall into place and you'll find a great sense of control sweeps over you.

You could of course dilly and dally and end up in no-mans land with life controlling you, and not the other way around. My analogy is this. I have a very busy life and a packed diary. I make the diary work for me, I don't work for the diary.

Good luck? You don't need it. You'll make your own.