Your thoughts on Bristol?

Aunt Agatha

I know nothing about Bristol really (apart from its geographical location and the fact it has a good Uni) but DH has spotted a couple of good job opportunities there. Google tells me that Clifton looks like a nice place to live but it seems quite expensive. What are some similar areas that might be a bit more affordable please? Good schools, somewhere to have a decent coffee/lunch, nice park and public transport are all important to us. That said, if public transport isn't very good we'll have to accept that and drive! I don't mind if we're in the city or an outlying village as long as the commute is sensible.

Also, whats your impression of Bristol generally?

Like I said I'm only just starting my research but your answers will help narrow the search. Thanks!

My OH worked in Bristol for 14 years prior to our move, and my sister used to live in a nice fat in Clifton. Bristol is a lively place with a good atmosphere, lots going on and some nice architecture and history. You are right, Clifton is probably the nicest area, but all around the Uni is very nice eg. Redland. Some of the outer suburbs are pretty rough, personally I would avoid Knowle West and that general area. If you need a largish house and a limited budget I would live in Long Ashton, or somewhere out that way; it's quite villagey, but an easy commute to the South of the city. TBH I am not so familiar with the North of Bristol.

We used to live in Weston Super Mare and my OH caught the train into the South of the city, which was a good commute. Bits of Weston are nice (up on the hill), some are average and some is pretty rough to be fair! But housing is much cheaper than in Bristol.

If you want to ask me anything else feel free, we are still renting out our house over there so still feel in contact with the place.

Great city, seems to be not quite as affected as other cities when it comes to drugs, crime and immigrants etc. (from our experiences anyway)

We have some good friends who live in Portishead and its lovely there too and easy to get into the city also.

I'd say go for it, good train links too.

oh yeah, i agree wattsy, i forgot Portishead, a nice place too, especially if you can get a view across the estuary to Wales. Nice pub there too if i remember rightly...

Yes thats exactly where our friends live, burlington road, in the new(ish) development, some parts they have made it look like an old fishing village with the narrow cobbled streets, great pub too, can see wales and the severn bridge.

I was born & bred there. Very historic vibrant and fairly central. Steer clear of Hartcliffe, Knowle West, Lockleaze, Bishopston, Kingswood, Redfield , St Paul's Eastville, Southmead St Werbergs. Not too keen on Clifton as it's very studenty. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

We lived there while DH was at Uni - very fortunate to find a nice house in Kingsdown but it isn't your 3bed plus garden type of suburb, it's rapidly moving from seedy to gentrified and we liked it! If I were going back there I think I'd be aiming for one of the villages either down to the Mendips or on the Estuary somewhere. Always rather fancied Nempnett Thrubwell myself (just because it'd be a blast to live in a place with a name like that!

Born and raised in Bristol until we came here 6 months ago. My OH moved from Cambridge to do her nurse training and never went back (my good fortune in case she reads this).

Don't really know about schools as we don't have kids. There are issues with public transport being expensive and the buses are always being complained about. Didn't really use them so can't really comment. The council are actively trying to make it a cycling city by closing roads in the centre of the city but, as Bristol is built on several hills they are not going well.

We lived in Fishponds, which we found to be great but there are some awful parts so be careful. As QSS said, there are areas to avoid although Bishopston has become a sought after area now.

I would say its a great place to be, you can be get to see the Welsh hills, the south coast and wonderful countryside all within 1 1/2 hours drive.

As said before, if I can help I will.

Born and raised in Bristol until we came here 6 months ago. My OH moved from Cambridge to do her nurse training and never went back (my good fortune in case she reads this).

Don't really know about schools as we don't have kids. There are issues with public transport being expensive and the buses are always being complained about. Didn't really use them so can't really comment. The council are actively trying to make it a cycling city by closing roads in the centre of the city but, as Bristol is built on several hills they are not going well.

We lived in Fishponds, which we found to be great but there are some awful parts so be careful. As QSS said, there are areas to avoid although Bishopston has become a sought after area now.

I would say its a great place to be, you can be get to see the Welsh hills, the south coast and wonderful countryside all within 1 1/2 hours drive.

As said before, if I can help I will.

Hey we lived just past Mangotsfield and before that St George.

Thanks for the replies so far, really useful to have some insider knowledge - especially on which areas to avoid.

I don't mind a bit of seedy-on-the-upturn and have done that in the past when we lived in East London and loved it. But now with kids, we'd like a bit of space inside and out. I'd love to live in a village with a fabulous name!

I'm not a huge fan of rain but I guess being so close to Wales means Bristol sees a fair deluge?

Just moved to Brisbane from Bristol (where I lived for 3 years) originally from South Wales - loved Bristol as a city, vibrant and exciting with plenty of cafés, parks and independent shops etc. Lived in Bishopston which is a great place to live - however I would warn against living any further down Gloucester road.

Public transport is OK - however traffic can be a nightmare so leave a little slack!

Guest Bora

Hi Aunt Agatha, your post stirred me from my slumber this afternoon just nicely ! You know I came back this year and we moved back to Portishead (we moved back from where we left even though were from the SE, so says it all....) a truly wonderful place, on the coast, a real community vibe about, stunning walks, great pubs, lovely people, stunning victorian high street with all major brands rubbing shoulders with quaint little cottagey shops, great sought after schools ......dont know why we left TBH.....Summer Carnival and Christmas is just amazing living here.

The commute to Bristol for your OH potential job is something a lot of people do. 20 mins of stunning North Somerset countryside, GOVT/North Somerset are also investing in re-awakening the dis-used railway line which will see property soar as demand rises - so get in quick !

If you do come back, and to this part of the world PM me and we can hook up happy to show you around. Presuming your not an axe murderer !

Guest Bora
Hi Aunt Agatha, your post stirred me from my slumber this afternoon just nicely ! You know I came back this year and we moved back to Portishead (we moved back from where we left even though were from the SE, so says it all....) a truly wonderful place, on the coast, a real community vibe about, stunning walks, great pubs, lovely people, stunning victorian high street with all major brands rubbing shoulders with quaint little cottagey shops, great sought after schools ......dont know why we left TBH.....Summer Carnival and Christmas is just amazing living here.

The commute to Bristol for your OH potential job is something a lot of people do. 20 mins of stunning North Somerset countryside, GOVT/North Somerset are also investing in re-awakening the dis-used railway line which will see property soar as demand rises - so get in quick !

If you do come back, and to this part of the world PM me and we can hook up happy to show you around. Presuming your not an axe murderer !

Here's what's nestled into this beautiful town.

Portishead Marina.jpg

Portishead Marina.jpg

Hey I born,lived,work in Bristol until moved in 2012, so that's my background, and best part of Bristol, depends on work location, due to the commute, as found it getting more difficult with traffic to get about, as the M32 and River Avon cut a slice through the city, so bottle necks form on the crossing points, also if you choose to get on the bike, you have access to the bike routes and Bristol is home to Sustrans and the Bristol to Bath Cycle Path! It also depends on the style of house, as this does limit the location, Newer builds, in Patchway,Bradly Stoke,Emersons Green,Warmley, have a look at rightmove,zoopla for ideas.

Thanks Boro! And everyone for the very useful comments. Quaint little shops, sought after schools and stunning walks do it for me. Living in a north Somerset village really appeals.

I will PM you if we do end up in Bristol Boro, it would be good to have a guide. I' promise I'm not an axe murderer, not anymore anyway! ;-) It looks lovely in your pic and blue skies too!

Guest Bora
Thanks Boro! And everyone for the very useful comments. Quaint little shops, sought after schools and stunning walks do it for me. Living in a north Somerset village really appeals.

I will PM you if we do end up in Bristol Boro, it would be good to have a guide. I' promise I'm not an axe murderer, not anymore anyway! ;-) It looks lovely in your pic and blue skies too!

Please do, more than happy to help. Very close to Portishead is the hamlets of Sheepway, Easton-in-Gordano, Clapton-in-Gordano, Portbury - all of which are truly stunning buried in the swaths of the English countryside. I was up this morning at 5.20am - I couldnt sleep such is my excitement of being home, in my new house, trying to make sense of the wonderful things I have to do today. So I sat in my courtyard with a cup of coffee listening to the spectacular dawn birdsong, with the Sun bursting through the early morning haze. God I feel good.