Putting in a pool

fifi69

Had one for the past couple of years, but the new house doesn't have one. Can't imagine not having a pool now.

so its pretty much top of the agenda.....but where do we start? I've got lots of pictures and designs in mind.

so do we need the plans put on paper and then submit to.....the local council?/ board of pools? ...

im assuming even though its our garden we need some sort of permission?

Whats the step by step procedure?

From the start of the process....how long before you actually have a pool?

No idea about putting a pool but can we fast forward to when the first pool party at yours will be please? :yes::rolleyes:

my fault for posting when Oz is asleep.....

Haha, had so many pool parties since being here....

now you know why I need/want one so much...

A pool....just the best thing..

Guest The Pom Queen

I think the pool companies sort out the planning side. One thing I will say Fi is go for the largest you can afford, or even save up a bit more. Our pool was already in when we bought the house but it is too small. The best pool I've very seen here was @calNgary their pool must be the size of an Olympic swimming pool lol

I think the pool companies sort out the planning side. One thing I will say Fi is go for the largest you can afford, or even save up a bit more. Our pool was already in when we bought the house but it is too small. The best pool I've very seen here was @calNgary their pool must be the size of an Olympic swimming pool lol

I wish...but in my garden, I will be happy with a lap pool xx

you doing ok PQ?? Xx

Guest The Pom Queen
I wish...but in my garden, I will be happy with a lap pool xx

you doing ok PQ?? Xx

Just build It into next doors land as well I'm sure they wouldn't mind :wink:

re, me, let's just say I keep fighting

If you have a standard block, flat and enough set back from boundaries the pool will be dealt with entirely by the pool people.

If you have a sloping block, retaining walls or a small area you might have issues; I've just been dealing with a couple who were blissfully unaware that you can't dig a big hole in front of a retaining wall without permission, it's cost them many $$$ and me many hours to find them an engineering solution that will get it through council.

If you have a standard block, flat and enough set back from boundaries the pool will be dealt with entirely by the pool people.

If you have a sloping block, retaining walls or a small area you might have issues; I've just been dealing with a couple who were blissfully unaware that you can't dig a big hole in front of a retaining wall without permission, it's cost them many $$$ and me many hours to find them an engineering solution that will get it through council.

food for thought..thanks.

mmm...a retaining wall in our new place may be a issue, I did think about that, but because I had seen plenty who had pools in with retaining walls I assumed there may be a way round it.

Oh well, will get a few people round and see what they say.

We used Sapphire Pools in Port Kennedy Fifi they did all the paperwork for us. It took a few months to get council approval.

Thanks hun, so would you recommend them?

re time for council approval....doesn't look like we will get one in for this summer then:cry:

never mind, will just have to come round and use yours:tongue:

The pool company sorted all council plans out, the excavating of the land, basically everything etc ,it was all in with the price.

Different companys do different designs, so i would take a look around to see what designs are available. As Kate said ours is pretty big, but when deciding if to have one put in we asked around for advice, lots of people we spoke to said their only regret was not getting a bigger one, we decided not to make the same mistake and dont regret it, being deep enough to dive and wide enough for the kids to play on toys without falling sideways and banging their heads in a big bonus, the only downside is a game of Marco Polo can take forever! lol, no seriously the only regret we have is not adding solar power at the time of building when we could have had a great deal.

Dont forget to add in the cost of fencing, the pool company provided a temp fence for a few weeks, but purchase and erection of a permanent one was our responsibility.

Cal x

Edited by calNgary

food for thought..thanks.

mmm...a retaining wall in our new place may be a issue, I did think about that, but because I had seen plenty who had pools in with retaining walls I assumed there may be a way round it.

Oh well, will get a few people round and see what they say.

The pool has to be designed to take the load from the wall, either that or have a large set-back. It's not an insurmountable problem, it's simply not a case of dig out a hole and drop one in, in that case.

The other thing that might be an issue is if the walls have gone in without planning permission; under certain circumstances you don't need council permission (walls less than 1m high, and more than 1.5m from any structure without surcharge loading). If you load the wall with a pool you have to then get engineering certification that it can take it. That's the issue my customers recently had and took a fair effort to sort out.

Guest Guest66881

We have been through the process twice now, both times the pool installer/supplier as done all the work (it is what you are paying for).

First off pick a company you like or have heard good things about, go to their showroom and see the pools for design ideas, are you going in ground or above ground - as room for a pool will impact on your choice (building regs concerning closeness to house and retaining walls/fences).

The man and his tape measure then come to your house and take a look at the area you wish to dig up and install a new pool, from this he can give you a good idea of what can be fitted and what cannot, he will also give you a time frame from council approval dates to install and completion.

I Would say this time of year would be best for a pool instal as the two we went through, both companies said the same winter installs are few and far between for them most want them fitted in the summer for the summer.

We went with preformed fibreglass pools on both occasions as they had the sizes we needed and at the right price (all in), concrete and tile is an option but vastly more expensive.

From start to finish our pools took about two months to jumping in, it does depend how busy they are and we found they tend to group installs (have two or three in one area) as not to be moving all over the place keeps their internal costs down i suppose.

Day of dig out takes four men half a day, one in bobcat or mini digger and three on barrows to bin lorry outside (our first pool was all dug by one man and a bobcat as he had access) our new one had limited access no room for bobcat mini digger got in so they had to use manpower to shift all the spoil, make allowances for hitting rock - it will add to the original costs (the pool guy will explain this fact)

Once the site as been dug, it usual takes about a week for the crane crew and the new pool to be delivered, this takes about two hours i suppose they level it and semi compact the sides at this stage, it is then partially filled to help with settling and levels.

About a week after that the pool instal guys come in and do all the pipework and connect it all up to the new pump and electrical panel (not wired to mains yet), the pool as then been filled to set level to test run pumps to check for leaks etc.

You then get a call from a registered electrician to come out and wire the pool into your service board (two hour job).

Last part is the pool company send out a guy to clean and show you how to work the control panel and clean out collection filters etc.

Now you need pool fencing and a new inclusion here in W.A. is the extra of fixed locks to windows that are pool side, with a window opening of no more than 100mm (key locks are no longer enough).

We paid in three instalments (it is how the pool company wanted it done), x amount at start of contract, x amount at pool install and a final pass off payment.

Council then come and inspect your fencing to make sure it is all safe and satisfactory.

Enjoy your pool.

Edited by Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

@HappyHeart first pool was a 8x4 all in it was $22000, it was a reconditioned pool with new pump.

Second pool the one we have here now was all in $26500 for a 7x4, because we had paving and bullnosing fitted (another extra cost), i did all the fencing myself both times.