Australia - October, here there and everywhere!

Jack Harding

Hi everyone I'm 22 and have spent the last 12 months fighting off the traveling itch but now I've finally given in.

Have a good job but have quickly realised that I need to let my hair down a little bit! Going to work everyday and coming home to rain every night isn't for me at all! Money doesn't mean anything if you aren't enjoying life!

I'm currently living the in North Yorkshire and have had my visa accepted to come across the pond.

Flight is the second week of October, just checking what everyone else plans to do once arriving?

I'm coming on my own, and don't really know many people out there! Even if its just a few introductions its certainly a good starting point.

I want to see as many places as possible, but I also would like to have a little taste of city nightlife everyone once in a while!

Also I've been reading a lot about the couch surfing website, has anyone used this?

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I'm way too keen for this trip :tongue:

Hiya Jack. Welcome to pio. There's plenty people on here who have either been on a WHV or are just about to go. Have a look around the site and don't be afraid to ask any questions. I think there's also a thread with dates/plans of people who are going, most are going alone too. I don't know much about couch surfing tbh other than I know quite a lot of people use it. There's also helpx as well

Hey Jack, it looks like we both had the same train of thought here! I'm also 22 and pretty sick of my job tbh, and just spontaneously applied for my WHV a couple of months ago!

Where about are you headed first in Oz? I'm headed out in early November to Sydney and plan to stay in and around there for at least Christmas and New Years.

Thanks Stacey! Have spent the afternoon scanning through the posts.

Chris I'm heading over to the Gold Coast I think first (Queensland). Just to drop a few bits off there! Not entirely sure if I want to start with a little holiday before travelling. I will be working right until I leave I think so I'll be ready to relax.

Its once of those things that if you don't do it then you'll regret it I guess. I don't want to wake up one day and realise I haven't done it all!

Thanks Stacey! Have spent the afternoon scanning through the posts.

Chris I'm heading over to the Gold Coast I think first (Queensland). Just to drop a few bits off there! Not entirely sure if I want to start with a little holiday before travelling. I will be working right until I leave I think so I'll be ready to relax.

Its once of those things that if you don't do it then you'll regret it I guess. I don't want to wake up one day and realise I haven't done it all!

Yeah there's loads of info! Could spend a full day looking lol. The admin of this site put up jobs too quite often so that will help you once your over there. Hope you have a great time :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I'm Lillie, 22, flying to Perth on 1st August to crash with my cousin and see what the job situation is like. Spent a year in Brisbane last year but don't know anyone on the West coast so definitely keen to try and get to know some people before I head out if possible! Will be staying in Perth at the very least Aug-November and then hoping to do Melbourne December - April and travel the rest :)

Hi guys , am Ross, 20 coming over to oz in middle September early October , on my own Aswell will be arriving in Melbourne on 23rd of September :) staying in Melbourne for 2 weeks with family then haven't got any plans after that :) message me if your in the same situation and could plan something or just meet up .

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm flying into Sydney from Heathrow on 29th September. Seems a similar story to lots of people, fed up of the same old and it's something I've wanted to do for years so thought it's now or never! At the moment the plan is to stay in Sydney for a bit then head to wherever opportunities take me! I'm travelling alone which is a bit daunting so it's good to know that other people are in the same boat. You never know, might even see a few of you around! 23 sleeps and counting!!! :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! Sorry I started this post then totally forgot to keep an eye out.

So I fly on the Monday night into Brisbane, I'm staying next to Surfers paradise near Southport for the first month. Then from there I just plan on moving around, maybe to Sydney first then up the coast to Fraser island and to Cairnes.

Any ideas on meeting new people apart from the hostels of course? To be honest thats half the reason I'm going on this adventure.