Moving To The Gold Coast - Countdown!

dissolvedgirl

Thanks for your comments @freebo.

My husband and I are torn whether to live closer to Brisbane so that he/we can avoid the daily commute that we'll no doubty end up having to do, but I'm not so sure we can sacrifice the beachside living for a city pad just so we can get to and from work quicker! I'm coming around to the idea of being closer to Brisbane but I'm still not sure - it's interesting to hear you commute 2 hours so you can be on the Gold Coast - can I ask which suburb you are in? Thanks

We live in Sanctuary Cove next to Hope Island, average commute takes about an hour into the city but this can vary. Key is to be near the freeway and at the North end of the GC (which is not on the beach but close by). I've written a lot about the commute - can't recommend it, we choose to do it but that's our choice.

Seems to me there are Brisbane folk and GC folk, some prefer one, some the other. Me, I just love the Gold Coast, always have, spent nearly 10 years living there and to me its just one of the best cities on Earth, I mean how can you get past this:

Gold_Coast_Convention_and_Exhibition_Centre.jpg

slide1.jpg

Skyline-04.jpg

slide1.jpg

Skyline-04.jpg

slide1.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in Sanctuary Cove next to Hope Island, average commute takes about an hour into the city but this can vary. Key is to be near the freeway and at the North end of the GC (which is not on the beach but close by). I've written a lot about the commute - can't recommend it, we choose to do it but that's our choice.

For future reference Freebo so I can advise others, how far is it to the beach in your experience from your place and surrounding suburbs...I've always wondered..though I'm guessing time of day has a big influence ?

Another thing if you'll humour me, I also have always wondered how much you get to experience the beach throughout the week ? What is it that makes driving 2 hours 5 days per week better than driving a bit longer on the weekend to go the beach ? Not being facetious as I know there must be some reason for it, I've just never understood it and it always make me hesitant to recommend the northern gold coast motorway suburbs ?

I've always thought if I was a beachy person I would rather live right on the beach at the Gold Coast "proper" (where the beaches are) and drive ~90 minutes so I could experience beach during the week, rather than drive 60 minutes and live in a motorway suburb where I presume you would end up normally waiting to the weekend to drive to the beach anyway....just a shorter drive than from Brisbane ?

I really should emphasise I am not criticising the decision , just was hoping you could tell me more about how it works in real life....genuinely curious ?

Seems to me there are Brisbane folk and GC folk, some prefer one, some the other. Me, I just love the Gold Coast, always have, spent nearly 10 years living there and to me its just one of the best cities on Earth, I mean how can you get past this:

I totally agree...very few people I know in Brisbane talk of wanting to live on the Gold Coast...I think they obviously offer very different things and it really depends on your personal balance of wanting beaches, beachy vibe and beachy people versus access to bigger city stuff like jobs, arts, events, facilities, city vibe, city people etc.

Some like a big dose of beach so obviously gold coast is ideal despite the commute. Others prefer a middling of beach so are happy to drive 1 hour on the weekend sometimes rather than 5 days per week. Others don't care at all for the beach and only go occasionally. I guess each person has to judge exactly where they sit on this continuum though it must be hard to know sometimes without living it.

Love those photos by the way...always love looking at aerials of the gold coast. I reckon that tram is going to be a great addition as well.

Edited by fish.01

From Upper Coomera (about 10 mins from Sanctuary cove) the gold coast beaches are about a 20 min drive. Closest is probably the spit, maybe 20-25 mins to surfers paradise max. Really not a big issue. And the other beaches (Kirra, Burleigh, Tallebudgera, Coolangatta) are so accessible from the Pacific Highway that it's by no means a mission in the car. I find the most of the time to get to surfers is taken up with finding somewhere to park.

From Upper Coomera (about 10 mins from Sanctuary cove) the gold coast beaches are about a 20 min drive. Closest is probably the spit, maybe 20-25 mins to surfers paradise max. Really not a big issue. And the other beaches (Kirra, Burleigh, Tallebudgera, Coolangatta) are so accessible from the Pacific Highway that it's by no means a mission in the car. I find the most of the time to get to surfers is taken up with finding somewhere to park.

Thanks Londongal, so if you worked in Brisbane would you go to the beach after work or would it be dark already after the commute and you would just go on the weekend ? Do you go most weekends or is that 25min drive an artificial barrier to doing it that often, if you know what I mean ?

Gold_Coast_Convention_and_Exhibition_Centre.jpg

slide1.jpg

Yep, that's why we've chosen the commute over Brisbane.

I'm not there yet Fish but hoping to end up in Coomera by my friends who live there. Have been there enough to know it's not a huge issue. In reality as much as I like to think I would, I'm not sure I'd end up at the beach every day anyway. But it's close enough to go before work if you wanna surf, and to pop in after in summer.

For future reference Freebo so I can advise others, how far is it to the beach in your experience from your place and surrounding suburbs...I've always wondered..though I'm guessing time of day has a big influence ?

Although there is a beach 10 mins away at Paradise Point we hardly ever go to the beach during the week.

I should emphasise though, even though I love the Gold Coast I'm personally not particularly a beachy person, we have a pool & we use that more often than travelling to the beach, although its fabulous when we do and usually we go to Main Beach, sometimes Broadbeach, Miami or Currumbin, they're all stunning, largely empty, spotless and visually amazing with the high-rises in the backdrop.

When I've talked about distance to beaches etc its been in response to posters who obviously place importance on that, not because its the main thing for me. So, what is the reason I do the commute rather than live in Brisbane?

Gold Coast (rather than Surfers Paradise which as you know is just a small suburb) and Brisbane are very different places.

Brisbane is a huge, sprawling city with miles upon miles of residential neighbourhoods and a relatively small city centre on the river. Nothing wrong with that, but it has an older, more historic feel about it, lots of people love the victorian architecture and Queenslander style homes but to be honest they don't do much for me and this is probably a key difference, so an aspirational type of home in a Brisbane suburb is probably something like this:

Queenslander2.JPG

Gold Coast on the other hand is a new, modern city built against the pacific ocean no history beyond the 50's, no really old buildings but the city is a forrest of highrises, skyscrapers with an ocean backdrop. When I visit the surf its either on our boat or to have coffee or breakfast in a surf club overlooking the ocean.

More to follow - laptop battery running out!

This would be a typicalish aspirational N Gold coast house (don't know how to make it bigger).

main.jpg

The houses would be similar in price depending on exact suburb, the gold coast one could be on water for a bit more, some prefer one, some the other.

So, for us its the lifestyle, the area, the water etc etc. I don't mind Brisbane but if I didn't worth there would rarely feel the need to visit.

I fully take the point that if all you care about is beach you'd drive less to visit on a weekend but for us its about a lot more than that, as I said I think you're either a Gold Coast person or a Brisbane one, I'm definitely Gold Coast and luckily after all of these years have a job where I should be able to work some of the time from home, because be under no illuision, the commute is a major pain by road or public transport and its a major sacrifice to live in what I consider to be the best city in Australia.

Queenslander2.jpg

Queenslander2.jpg

main.jpg

Edited by freebo

Although there is a beach 10 mins away at Paradise Point we hardly ever go to the beach during the week.

I should emphasise though, even though I love the Gold Coast I'm personally not particularly a beachy person, we have a pool & we use that more often than travelling to the beach, although its fabulous when we do and usually we go to Main Beach, sometimes Broadbeach, Miami or Currumbin, they're all stunning, largely empty, spotless and visually amazing with the high-rises in the backdrop.

When I've talked about distance to beaches etc its been in response to posters who obviously place importance on that, not because its the main thing for me. So, what is the reason I do the commute rather than live in Brisbane?

Gold Coast (rather than Surfers Paradise which as you know is just a small suburb) and Brisbane are very different places.

Brisbane is a huge, sprawling city with miles upon miles of residential neighbourhoods and a relatively small city centre on the river. Nothing wrong with that, but it has an older, more historic feel about it, lots of people love the victorian architecture and Queenslander style homes but to be honest they don't do much for me and this is probably a key difference, so an aspirational type of home in a Brisbane suburb is probably something like this:

Queenslander2.JPG

Gold Coast on the other hand is a new, modern city built against the pacific ocean no history beyond the 50's, no really old buildings but the city is a forrest of highrises, skyscrapers with an ocean backdrop. When I visit the surf its either on our boat or to have coffee or breakfast in a surf club overlooking the ocean.

Freebo, whats Sanctuary cove like to live on? We've been looking at houses online around there and hope is, genesis, river links etc.. We like the look of the modern contemporary builds. I also like the look of Oxenford. We visited a couple of years ago so know the Gold Coast is where we prefer as a family.

Freebo, whats Sanctuary cove like to live on? We've been looking at houses online around there and hope is, genesis, river links etc.. We like the look of the modern contemporary builds. I also like the look of Oxenford. We visited a couple of years ago so know the Gold Coast is where we prefer as a family.

We love it, but of course its not the cheapest place. Depends what you're after really, is there anything specific you need to know? We like the peace, security, resident kangaroo's, living here is like being on holiday and we all get around on golf buggies (handy for going to the village for drinks & dinner).

<snip>

This would be a typicalish aspirational N Gold coast house (don't know how to make it bigger).

<snip>

The houses would be similar in price depending on exact suburb, the gold coast one could be on water for a bit more, some prefer one, some the other.

T

So, for us its the lifestyle, the area, the water etc etc. I don't mind Brisbane but if I didn't worth there would rarely feel the need to visit.

I fully take the point that if all you care about is beach you'd drive less to visit on a weekend but for us its about a lot more than that, as I said I think you're either a Gold Coast person or a Brisbane one, I'm definitely Gold Coast and luckily after all of these years have a job where I should be able to work some of the time from home, because be under no illuision, the commute is a major pain by road or public transport and its a major sacrifice to live in what I consider to be the best city in Australia.

Great to get your perspective freebo...might just add that modern house you posted is an aspirational house in Brisbane as well amongst those people who like modern homes rather character homes. Brisbane is full of modern homes like that all over the place, along the river, out on acreages, middle ring suburbs, they are everywhere...I've lived in a few and am not a fan but plenty will only try that type of home.

That's probably the downside of a lot of the Gold Coast to me as it reminds me of Brisbane outer suburbia, modern, low walk score, housing estates, though I can fully understand if you did like them, having one on water is a lot nicer that plonked in the middle of a suburb where all you can do is drive to a mall. I can totally relate, if I understand you correctly, the "feel" of the Gold Coast really suits you.

This is my type of aspirational home :)

8160792525_71e8efed8b_b.jpg

Untitled by fish.2, on Flickr

I have owned and lived in both and just adore these homes in comparison to the modern homes, they just fit sub tropical qld so well, but fully get that everyone is different. I do know some people in outer Brisbane have rarely stepped inside a home like the above so really have little understanding of what it is like to live in them.

I find it is not just the home but the whole feel of the area as well. The old trees and gardens, the hills, the lovely little shops, the built history, the local facilities, people walking rather than driving, the lovely old parks, the ability to cycle places etc.

8160795643_1fdc020a57_b.jpg

I think if I had to live on the Gold Coast I would pick a "place", rather than in the middle of a suburban housing estate. Somewhere right on the water or on the tram line or in the hinterland or sanctuary cove....lots of choices though that damned commute is always lurking :(

I like looking at Gold Coast skyline shots as well...it can really take your breath away when you drive around a corner and see the view, or look back at it from a boat out at sea. It has some absolutely lovely spots like Burleigh, Currumbin, Tugun, Kirra etc. The hinterland is absolutely fantastic. Totally underrated place by some, specially those surfers paradise tourists who never see the half of it.

I don't like the street life under those high rises anywhere near the life of inner Brisbane, it is way behind, but that is to be expected given its age and size and being a city focused on beaches....the Gold Coast is constantly improving though and I hope the light rail opening next week and the declaration of southport as the official CBD brings it to the next level in time.

It is easy to understand why parts of the Gold Coast are some peoples idea of nirvana as it has some great things going for it.

6947148574_2a519c2d6a_b.jpg

7093215261_7e84a27bc6_b.jpg

Edited by fish.01

Great to get your perspective freebo...might just add that modern house you posted is an aspirational house in Brisbane as well amongst those people who like modern homes rather character homes. Brisbane is full of modern homes like that all over the place, along the river, out on acreages, middle ring suburbs, they are everywhere...I've lived in a few and am not a fan but plenty will only try that type of home.

That's probably the downside of a lot of the Gold Coast to me as it reminds me of Brisbane outer suburbia, modern, low walk score, housing estates, though I can fully understand if you did like them, having one on water is a lot nicer that plonked in the middle of a suburb where all you can do is drive to a mall. I can totally relate, if I understand you correctly, the "feel" of the Gold Coast really suits you.

This is my type of aspirational home :)

8160792525_71e8efed8b_b.jpg

I have owned and lived in both and just adore these homes in comparison to the modern homes, they just fit sub tropical qld so well, but fully get that everyone is different. I do know some people in outer Brisbane have rarely stepped inside a home like the above so really have little understanding of what it is like to live in them.

Sure, and the home I used was just picked at mid level from realestate, we sold our place last year (pics below) and we're in the process of building on the golf course at S Cove.

I know that new homes can be found in Brissy too, but round here its easy to find them in easy reach of water, shops, restaurants and bars etc etc, on a weekend sometimes the car doesn't move, we walk or golf buggie everywhere.

I definitely prefer a modern home though and each to their own. Bet you'd be cold in a QLDer at the moment? its bad enough in the newish place we're in at the moment!

Our old place, which tbh I'm not sure I could have got in Brisbane, definately there's no-where like where we're living now in Bris:

image11.jpg

image6.jpg

image23.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

image6.jpg

image23.jpg

image3.jpg

image2.jpg

image11.jpg

Edited by freebo

Sure, and the home I used was just picked at mid level from realestate, we sould our waterfront place last year and we're in the process of building on the golf course at S Cove.

I know that new homes can be found in Brissy too, but round here its easy to find them in easy reach of water, shops, restaurants and bars etc etc, on a weekend sometimes the car doesn't move, we walk or golf buggie everywhere.

I definitely prefer a modern home though and each to their own. Bet you'd be cold in a QLDer at the moment? its bad enough in the newish place we're in at the moment!

Yeah agreed, thats what I meant saying if you do like modern houses it's better to be somewhere like sanctuary cove than in the middle of a housing estate with just a local shopping mall. Brisbane has very well located modern houses but probably more expensive than Gold Coast.

Still undies and t-shirt at night so not too bad :) ...we have ducted heating but haven't used it much so far. We found our modern house freezing sometimes due to the acres of cold tiles, glass, open plan, high ceilings etc. I think it can come down to the house sometimes.

Edited by fish.01

Sure, and the home I used was just picked at mid level from realestate, we sold our place last year (pics below) and we're in the process of building on the golf course at S Cove.

Our old place, which tbh I'm not sure I could have got in Brisbane, definately there's no-where like where we're living now in Bris:

<snip>

what is it about it that you think you wouldn't find it in brissie? The water ?

Edited by fish.01

what is it about it that you think you wouldn't find it in brissie? The water ?

Water, jetty, open preserve outlook, they probably all exist in Brissy but not at the price, also it was gated which I think isn't as common there. Regardless as I said each to their own, I'd prefer to be down here but anyone considering it needs to be aware the commute is painful.

Water, jetty, open preserve outlook, they probably all exist in Brissy but not at the price, also it was gated which I think isn't as common there. Regardless as I said each to their own, I'd prefer to be down here but anyone considering it needs to be aware the commute is painful.

That style of house with jetty looks like the suburban houses at Raby Bay, Newport and Bribie but their commute wouldn't be that much shorter than Sanctuary Cove...maybe take 15-20 mins off in some cases....without the bush outlook...you'd have to go to the brisbane river houses to get that.

Some of the Brisbane river homes are a little over budget :) ...this example is about 13km from the city:

image3.jpg

image5.jpg

main.jpg

image8.jpg

image12.jpg

image13.jpg

Edited by fish.01

Raby bay might be a similar commute but Bribie would be further.

Anyway, enough of this property porn (the brissy river one was nice for an older place though, but again a long way from the beach :smile:).

I'm off to fire up the buggy (its electric) and on to the pub then a meal at the local (excellent) Italian restaurant! :cool:

Edited by freebo

Raby bay might be a similar commute but Bribie would be further.

Anyway, enough of this property porn (the brissy river one was nice for an older place though, but again a long way from the beach :smile:).

I'm off to fire up the buggy (its electric) and on to the pub then a meal at the local (excellent) Italian restaurant! :cool:

Enjoy. Hopefully someone moving here will ask more questions soon so I can stop talking shite and be useful.... :)

• 3 weeks later...

One bonus of Brisbane living though is that it gives you the option of the Sunny coast and Gold Coast at the weekend as well as Bribie. Im guessing if you live on one of the Suburbs north of the gold coast you only really visit the Gold Coast at the weekends.

If in Brisbane before you buy CHECK THE FLOOD MAP ! available from Brisbane council and also on line. We had a Queenslander in Graceville and it went well and truly under in the 1974 flood and then again up to the top story windows in the last big flood, now sold LOL

If in Brisbane before you buy CHECK THE FLOOD MAP ! available from Brisbane council and also on line. We had a Queenslander in Graceville and it went well and truly under in the 1974 flood and then again up to the top story windows in the last big flood, now sold LOL

Yes agreed, even though only 3% of Brisbane houses went under everyone should just check as routine now matter how far from the river. Here's the new flood mapping tool: http://floodinformation.brisbane.qld.gov.au/fio/

Edited by fish.01

One bonus of Brisbane living though is that it gives you the option of the Sunny coast and Gold Coast at the weekend as well as Bribie. Im guessing if you live on one of the Suburbs north of the gold coast you only really visit the Gold Coast at the weekends.

Gold Coast city goes all of the way to Logan where it has a boundary with Brisbane city, so the suburbs to the north are actually part of the GC. If by Gold Coast you mean Surfers (which is a common misconception) I don't go there more than once a month and that's usually passing through, but I much prefer my part of the Gold Coast to anywhere I've seen in Brisbane, and I've seen a lot of it, in fact if I didn't have to work in Brisbane I would probably never go there.

Gold Coast city goes all of the way to Logan where it has a boundary with Brisbane city, so the suburbs to the north are actually part of the GC. If by Gold Coast you mean Surfers (which is a common misconception) I don't go there more than once a month and that's usually passing through, but I much prefer my part of the Gold Coast to anywhere I've seen in Brisbane, and I've seen a lot of it, in fact if I didn't have to work in Brisbane I would probably never go there.

I was actually referring to beaches, not Surfers Paradise. Apologies I worded it badly.

To the bolded, i'm not sure apart from beaches/hinterlands what the Gold coast beats Brisbane for apart from maybe a quieter life? Restauarnts, Sport, Facilities, Culture etc Brisbane wins hands down for me.

To the bolded, i'm not sure apart from beaches/hinterlands what the Gold coast beats Brisbane for apart from maybe a quieter life? Restauarnts, Sport, Facilities, Culture etc Brisbane wins hands down for me.

Just down to personal preference really, many parts of Bris feel old fashioned to me, which I understand many people like. GC is a modern city on the beach, Brisbane is an older city on a river. Where I live I'm surrounded by large waterfont and golf course properties, shops, marina's, nice restaurants etc etc and I'm 10 mins from the nearest beach, when I choose to visit.

I don't much care about classical "culture" but we have the blues & jazz fests, & lots of other events year round. Plenty of sporing facilities and many more coming when we host the Commonwealth Games, local AFL and NRL teams (not doing well, granted), a racetrack etc etc. Honestly, if I had to live in Brisbane I'd rather move to Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, even Perth but this is the best city in Aus for me, I've loved it since I first arrived in 1989, suburban Brisbane just does nothing for me, I tried it once, lived in Kangaroo Point for a year, it was OK & handy for the CBD but really, I like the GC so much more.

Its horses for courses, good job we don't all like the same things...

Edited by freebo