Former 457 visa holder wanting to return to Oz... opinions

stupot29

Hi

I formerly held a 457 visa for around 3 1/2 years but never applied for PR.

I resigned from my job and left Australia late last year for mostly personal reasons, had a lot of loose ends in the UK that needed tying up that were preventing my family from settling down properly.

We would like to return to Australia hopefully next year and am looking for opinions on the route to take from anyone who has knowledge or has been through similar.

My wife is Australian but I don't think a spouse visa would be a viable option as she doesn't work as we have young kids, I plan on working and being the breadwinner.

I could probably get a 457 visa again, but am not keen on being totally tied to and dependent on another employer for my visa. I am a loyal person and don't job hop but by the end of my relationship with my former sponsor in oz I felt like I was being taken for a bit of a ride and was shifted around frequently which led to us being very unhappy as a family (another reason we left).

Is the skillselect scheme an option? Has anyone had experience with this? My occupation is on the list, I have 8+ years experience in my job in the UK, and 3+ in Oz, a degree etc so my points come above the required 60.

Any other options?

I would of course go back on a 457 visa if I can get one but just wondering if there are any other ways of doing this?

I realise in hindsight I am a fool for not applying for PR, not sure what I was thinking at the time.

I came over on a 457 and got made redundant. I also have an Australian wife and applied for an 801/820 Partner visa and it was issued in about 10 days once I got all the paperwork together.

I don't remember any of it being conditional on her working.

Thanks guys. I will definitely look into the spouse visa more then, just the way I read it on the immigration website about the sponsor being obliged to provide accommodation and financial support confused me. I guess after going in the opposite direction and the UK sponsor having to earn a certain amount when I read that I assumed the same. Thanks again.