Injustice!!!

arq

So DIBP increases subclass 189 allocations from 1250 to 2000 places but family sponsored 489 remains at 15 places only!!! What is DIBP upto? 489 applicants are also skilled professionals, have passed the necessary assessment and English language requirements then why on earth are they being discouraged!!!!

This entire process is indeed biased as it is clearly preferring candidates who can score an 8 in each of the IELTs test over professionals with more than 5 years of relevant experience. Similarly 15 places for family skilled 489 visa over 2000 places for skilled independent 189 highlights DIBP's hypocrisy in curbing family based preferences. If skilled relatives of Australian citizens or PR holders are such an economic and financial burden on the country, why does not DIBP close down this visa!!!

Be thankful to Australia for claiming points and do what? With only 15 invitations being given in each round and no invitations being given out for 489 applicants in more than 6 occupations!!!

Be thankful that Australia allows you to claim points towards a skilled visa, simply for the fact that you have family living here.

I agree with arq, people who would like to apply for 489, invested a lot of time and money, as well as we on 190 visas, or people on 189 visas. It would be fair to tell them in advance that only 15 people per round would receive the invitation, and that not all occupations would be eligible for that visa. Australian assessment bodies received money for assessments people did, believing that they would have a real chance for applying for that visa.

So there are two applicants:

Applicant X:

Age=25, Points=30

Education=Bachelors, Points=15

Work exp=1 yr, Points=0

IELTs=8,8,8,8, Points=20

Total=65

Applicant Y:

Age=25, Points=30

Work exp=3 yrs, Points=5

IELTS=8,8,8,7.5, Points=10

Total=60

So Applicant X makes it through and Y does not. I dont see any "viable" or "desirable" selections being made.

PS. I am not only concerned about "family sponsored" visa's but in general as well. Why to have provisions for family members, have them go through the entire process of assessments and IELTs only to tell them in the end that we are only giving out 15 invitations per round, that too in only certain occupations where the applications for independent 189 are the least??

I'm sorry you're having trouble gaining a visa, but I don't get why you're suddenly p*ssed off about the process.

So Australia favours qualified applicants with strong English above those with some work experience? The way points are awarded is made known to applicants in advance of you starting the process.

As are the number of places available for each visa type. We're rapidly approaching the end of the visa year, so places remaining are bound to be limited at this time of the year.

So there are two applicants:

Applicant X:

Age=25, Points=30

Work exp=1 yr, Points=0

IELTs=8,8,8,8, Points=20

Total=65

Applicant Y:

Age=25, Points=30

Work exp=3 yrs, Points=5

IELTS=8,8,8,7.5, Points=10

Total=60

So Applicant X makes it through and Y does not. I dont see any "viable" or "desirable" selections being made.

Well by your own admission Applicant X makes 65 points which is viable for an invite, Applicant Y doesn't. Blind Pew could see that.

Rules are rules old boy. No point being a sore loser.

Be thankful to Australia for claiming points and do what? With only 15 invitations being given in each round and no invitations being given out for 489 applicants in more than 6 occupations!!!

Would you prefer they eliminate this visa category altogether? They're doing that with several Family visa categories, which is leaving people scrambling to apply before the deadline or having to look into other options. So yes, if I were in your shoes I'd be thankful I had an option even if it had limited availability.

I've been searching everywhere but I'm afraid I can't find the reference but I recall clearly that a few years ago, DIBP (then DIAC) conducted research and found that people who came to Australia on family sponsored visas were far less successful immigrants than people who qualified completely on their own merits. Given those findings, I haven't been at all surprised over the last year or so to see the reduction in the availability of family sponsored visas. I don't know if this adds anything to the discussion in this thread but it perhaps provides the thinking behind their actions. Hopefully someone else can find that reference - it was on the .immi site.

It is what it is.

That daft quote " It is what it is" seems to be becoming an increasing rapidly amongst the herd.

Its one reason why the world is in such a mess and why the population of Australia is treated like

a doormat by the Govt, because of the " It is what it is" attitude..Wake up and fight for your rights.

Edited by blossom
Insult

Whilst i can understand your frustration with the system, who are you to tell the Australian government and people that you think you are entitled to emigrate on your terms? Australia is not like the EU where any EU citizen has the right to live in another country - even with a criminal history. In the past, many of the 10 pound poms came on a family visa because Australia was less choosy about what skills emigrants have, but now needs highly qualified emigrants with specific skill sets. You are free to try for another visa type and if you meet the criteria you will be accepted.

Perhaps if the UK had limited the family visa to very low numbers from some Commonwealth countries, it wouldnt have the social problems and division it has now.

That daft quote " It is what it is" seems to be becoming an increasing rapidly amongst the herd.

Its one reason why the world is in such a mess and why the population of Australia is treated like

a doormat by the Govt, because of the " It is what it is" attitude..Wake up and fight for your rights.

I'm afraid there is little in the sense of fighting spirit in Australia when it comes to taking on authority. A herd mentality is increasingly the norm. I hear your anguish with regards changes to the rules. I'm afraid the rules change on a regular basis from one year to the next. It should be remembered immigration is a business here and a bit of a Ponzi one at that. AS such doesn't always make a lot of sense.

Business is calling for a relaxation of the rigid English language test and today I read changes are en train that will allow other tests to be accepted. I expect far less rigorous in application to meet corporate demand.

I suspect a country that uses immigration as a tool to growth and maintain housing prices is bound to flounder over the medium to long term.

Edited by blossom
Editing quote

In Australia, experience counts for nothing. In work its all who has done a relevant coarse (box ticked). In work its basically he who has verbal diarrhoea is the one taken seriously rather than the one who actually has the experience

My hubbie does believe it's a money making racket though , he says the skills that are getting in the country are not the right ones just because they have a degree in that field ,

he he knows of a engineer who got in with a degree , been designing white boards all his life , he said he rests his case lol .

No idea why you feel the need for a stupid personal comment, when everyone else me included is discussing the post.

If somebody is applying for a 489 visa they are not a citizen or a resident and do not have any rights to fight for in Australia. It is as daft as me announcing I am going to fight for my rights in Japan next week.