Newbie, Saying Hi

dkeith109

Hi everyone

Just joined and thought I'd say hi.

Myself and my partner (Simon) are applying for a 189 Skilled - Independent Visa and are just back from a 3 week recce to Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney (hence why I'm typing this message at 4am UK time - still on Oz time!). Absolutely loved Melbourne and Sydney, and think the latter just swings it for us due to the better weather and closer proximity to beaches. Both had great public transport systems (that Melbourne tram system/MyKi is VERY impressive for commuters) but the beaches are a big factor for us, so Sydney is just edging it at the moment. Still got loads of research to do though into job prospects and property prices etc, but the trip was massively useful in terms of getting a feel for each city and general info.

My other half is a bit younger, so although both our professions are eligible for a 187 visa (I'm an Accountant, he's an Electrician), we're applying under his job to get the extra 'age' points he earns. We've completed 2 of the 3 stages of his skills assessment. His process is a much more long and drawn out process than mine would have been (and MUCH more expensive!), requiring lots of paperwork and a manual skills test, which unfortunately has been delayed as he broke his hand mountain biking a couple of weeks before our trip and needed a metal plate inserted to fix it. So, a little bit frustrated at the moment as we just want to get on with things (especially having visited now and confirmed it's absolutely what we want to do). Hopefully he'll be able to complete his skills assessment in the next month or two and we can finally apply for the visa.

Anyway, that's us. Hoping to learn loads from you guys about every little detail about applying and moving (all going well). Look forward to your support and advice in the months ahead :smile:

Thanks guys

David

Hi David!

If you are resolved on NSW, maybe you should do the skills assessment and look at a NSW sponsored subclass 190 visa?

The skills assessment process for Accountants is quick: we tend to see applications for members of the UK professional bodies processed by the ICAA (our preferred assessing body for accountants) processed in about 7 to 10 days.

This said, the upside of your partner doing the skills assessment is that he secures a recognised Australian qualification alongside the migration skills assessment: an AQF Certificate III.

Best regards.

Best regards.

Hi Alan

He still will need to do the necessary training though to be able. To work as an electrician? I know those coming into WA do?

Hi David!

If you are resolved on NSW, maybe you should do the skills assessment and look at a NSW sponsored subclass 190 visa?

The skills assessment process for Accountants is quick: we tend to see applications for members of the UK professional bodies processed by the ICAA (our preferred assessing body for accountants) processed in about 7 to 10 days.

This said, the upside of your partner doing the skills assessment is that he secures a recognised Australian qualification alongside the migration skills assessment: an AQF Certificate III.

Best regards.

Best regards.

It is not just your partner passing the visa assessment. It is about him working here. Even with a positive skills assessment he will need to retrain once here. It varies by state, but generally takes at least a year of working as a trade assistant (like an apprentice) as well as some college courses.

Thanks Alan.

I'd be too young though. Cheers

Too young for what? :confused:

I guess it it is too late now, but it was madness for your OH to be main applicant, waste of time and money and he will have even more hoops to jump through later. You could have sent off a few bits of paper and got skills assessment back in a fortnight for a few hundred. Surely it is not hard for an accountant to pass points test, it is a degree level qualification and IELTS so required anyway, you are nearly there. If there is some issue with proceeding, I would look to switch main applicant. Shame you did not find us sooner..

• 8 months later...

All water under the bridge now, as we were both granted 189 skilled visas in Dec. He's younger than me so qualified for extra points, hence why he was lead applicant. My points would have got us a restricted location visa, his got us a 189 visa which means we can go anywhere. Thanks for your advice anyway.