graham834

HELP!!! Uk passport expired and due to travel 25th June

Hi Guys,

we are in a bit of a dilemma. We've booked a family holiday to Bali leaving on the 25th June and just realised our daughters uk passport has expired.

Having looked online the processing times to renew it are about 8 weeks at the min so wouldn't be back on time.

Would she be eligible for an emergency travel document and if so can she use this to get back into Australia - without proof of visa? We have PR.

Any advice would be most appreciated..... Feeling very stressed as we have spent a lot of money on this holiday.

We renewed our UK passport last year at our local post office in Dee Why, only took 2 weeks to get the new ones.

As far as I know you can still renew a UK passport at certain Australian Post Offices, check out Australian Post's website.

We renewed our UK passport last year at our local post office in Dee Why, only took 2 weeks to get the new ones.

As far as I know you can still renew a UK passport at certain Australian Post Offices, check out Australian Post's website.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately Aus Post stopped this service on the 13th January and now all applications have to be done online :-( Current processing time is 8 weeks.

How did you book your holiday, I thought you had to have the passport number to book the flights. I only ask as we are having to wait to book flights for September for our sons passport to come

back. Worried the flights will go up in the meantime.

How did you book your holiday, I thought you had to have the passport number to book the flights. I only ask as we are having to wait to book flights for September for our sons passport to come

back. Worried the flights will go up in the meantime.

We didn't have to provide passport numbers when booking. We have to log into Virgin Australia's website and add this information before we fly.

We didn't have to provide passport numbers when booking. We have to log into Virgin Australia's website and add this information before we fly.

Ah thanks for that :wubclub:

Any advice would be most appreciated..... Feeling very stressed as we have spent a lot of money on this holiday.

Here's an option and you're not going to like it. Travel to the UK and sit in a passport office until they process the renewal paying the super-expedited fee - then go back to Australia with it. This would only work if the flight for one person would cost less than you'd lose on the holiday.

Another option is to call the British Embassy and see whether they can get the Passport Agency to do something special for you. But that is a gambler's option and I wouldn't want to have the anxious wait for an envelope.

I think though that you won't get an emergency travel document. Those are for people who are stranded overseas for a specific journey home, not to embark on a holiday. But ask the Embassy anyway - you never know.

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

Guest ellieday

Hi Graham. Am in a similar situation with my daughters. Trip to UK, fly 24th June and their passports are still not back. I'm a fool for not doing them much, much earlier, but that doesn't change anything now. After reading a few posts here I'm going to call the passport office daily. I will also phone the Embassy and see what they can do. I'm praying worst case scenario I could get emergency travel docs from Sydney for the kids. Not really sure what basis though. My uncle has MND, my Gran is 'only hanging on to meet her great granddaughter' but isn't actually diagnosed with anything apart from being really old and very depressed. Not exactly an emerge he, but will turn into one. I'm devastated I've been such an idiot.