Returning Residents Visa (RRV)

Sids Dad

After being frustrated with the RRV form I downloaded from the IMMI website and having left it for several days, I actually loged on and opened an account with them. What a difference, the online form was only two small pages long and the questions were easy with only basic info required! I then was taken to the online payment and the very next day received an e-mail informing me that it was granted and linked to my passport!

My point is folks, don't bother downloading the RRV form but open an account with IMMI and getting this renewed is a breeze.

• 4 years later...
12 minutes ago, Sharry said:

Has anyone experienced applying when we have been out of the country 9 years? We were residents when we left and would like to go back, have sister there so family ties are ok. What’s people’s experience of getting an RRV. Thanks

There seems to be a mixed response - some have got the 5 year and other 1 year.   You have to demonstrate strong family ties and links to Aus.  It may be that you only get granted the 1 year.

6 hours ago, ali said:

There seems to be a mixed response - some have got the 5 year and other 1 year.   You have to demonstrate strong family ties and links to Aus.  It may be that you only get granted the 1 year.

If you’ve been gone for 9 years, the best you would get is a one year RRV. Definitely worth getting advice on the best way to craft an RRV application. At this length of absence, it begins to get complex as you will need to demonstrate substantial ties and compelling reasons for the length of absence. 

4 hours ago, paulhand said:

If you’ve been gone for 9 years, the best you would get is a one year RRV. Definitely worth getting advice on the best way to craft an RRV application. At this length of absence, it begins to get complex as you will need to demonstrate substantial ties and compelling reasons for the length of absence. 

Thanks Paul, yes I’m aiming at gathering all the info, hospital clinical letters/reports and also the evidence of substantial ties (Sister & her Children) before submitting it,  we came back originally because Dad died and we had no kids but sister in ASU’s did so less disruptive for us to move back to uk then after that Mum got ill, more recently had the stroke but recovered now so hoping that’s enough. We’re 48 & 45, have Children also now so it’s our last chance to go back really as I know over 50 it gets complicated in terms of paying into the system long enough before retiring. Any advice would be very welcomed in terms of what would be needed in the application. Thanks again. 

Substantial ties come first - if you can’t show this then no amount of compelling circumstances for absence matter, so approach it from that angle. Remember also that you cannot add dependents to an RRV application, so if you get granted yours you will still need to separately arrange visas for the children. 

Thanks Paul that’s good to know, very close to sister and children, 1 over here with us for 2yrs going back next year!

As for RRV we will apply for child 101 for 17yo as he’s in education but the 21yo is a qualified joiner/carpenter so will apply for residency in own right. We know they can’t be added though lots of ppl think they can!! 

Thanks for all your advice it’s much appreciated, will start gathering our ties info first I think. 

Sharry 

No they have never lived in aus, we lived there pre-kids then just had RRVs in the past which expired 09 but never actually got to move back for good so now hoping to!

we took the kids on many trips but under the 3 months holiday visas for them. 

Got to now check Uni costs and if the youngest will be eligible without it costing the earth. 

8 minutes ago, Sharry said:

No they have never lived in aus, we lived there pre-kids then just had RRVs in the past which expired 09 but never actually got to move back for good so now hoping to!

we took the kids on many trips but under the 3 months holiday visas for them. 

Got to now check Uni costs and if the youngest will be eligible without it costing the earth. 

So how long is it since you actually lived there? Your earlier post gave the impression you lived in oz till 9 years ago, but now it sounds like you left about 20 years ago!

28 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

So how long is it since you actually lived there? Your earlier post gave the impression you lived in oz till 9 years ago, but now it sounds like you left about 20 years ago!

Yes it does indeed. Professional advice with all the facts known is definitely the best way forward in a case like this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sharry said:

I lived there, Children didn’t but visited regularly, thanks all your advice though. 

Your original post said you returned home when your dad died and you had no kids at that time so that must have been over 21 years ago. So since then you had kids then you moved back to Oz and left them behind?  It's quite confusing and I think you will struggle to show genuine ties. 

Edited by Tulip1

2 hours ago, Sharry said:

Thanks again everyone,

(starting to wish I’d not mentioned by beautiful kids/young adults now! (Fostered/adoption) not relevant to my original question, but see the confusion now)

Will see an agent as kindly suggested by Paulhand. 

Thanks ?

Didn't mean to pry, but it did look rather confusing and could have made a big difference to your application. Sometimes not asking the questions and getting the whole picture can result in people getting in a bit of a mess visa-wise.