Carpenters - advice on getting sponsored visas!

RachelManning89

Hi,

I'm currently level 2 NVQ qualified in carpentry, will be level 3 NVQ May 2015. Looking to work in Oz for a few years, moving September 2015. Hoping to get a sponsored visa, ideally a 457, as I don't want to do regional work.

However, it appears you have to undergo a TRA assessment before applying for a visa. Does anyone know if this costs? Or is there any way to get around this?

Is there an easier way to be able to work for up to 4 years, without having to do regional work?

Does anyone have any advice on the best route or path to take?

thanks

Sam

I'm by no means an expert but am currently in the process of doing this (well close) as a joiner.

A couple of questions for you, how old are you? How long have you worked as a carpenter?

TRA will need to be done yes, it costs money yes. That shouldn't be too much of a problem as you'll be fresh out of college with the certificates ready to send of and have check. If everything is ok, you'll then be required to attend a practical (if there is one available) or an interview with a qualified person in your trade via Skype. You'll then have to wait to hear back.

Have you thought about doing a working holiday visa? Doing the first year, then applying for the 2 year purely to get a taste? You mentioned the 4 years, why are you set on that?

I know I've only scratched the surface when it comes to questions but chances are @Rupert will come along and add something :)

Thanks Jack :)

I'm 24, been a carpenter 2 years, but had about 3/4 year extra site experience as well.

Do you know how much it'll cost to get the TRA done? Did think about the WHV, but not really interested in living in a regional area, doing regional work also the downside is you have to find a new employer every 6 months. I wanted to do 4 years so that if we get there and like it I'd like to have the possibility of applying for citizenship. Which you can do after 4 years.

Are you currently looking for a visa too? What route are you thinking of taking?

Thanks

sam

I'm by no means an expert but am currently in the process of doing this (well close) as a joiner.

A couple of questions for you, how old are you? How long have you worked as a carpenter?

TRA will need to be done yes, it costs money yes. That shouldn't be too much of a problem as you'll be fresh out of college with the certificates ready to send of and have check. If everything is ok, you'll then be required to attend a practical (if there is one available) or an interview with a qualified person in your trade via Skype. You'll then have to wait to hear back.

Have you thought about doing a working holiday visa? Doing the first year, then applying for the 2 year purely to get a taste? You mentioned the 4 years, why are you set on that?

I know I've only scratched the surface when it comes to questions but chances are @Rupert will come along and add something :)

Ok that all seems pretty straight forward for you. Chances are you will need to do an IELTS exam - with a minimum of 7 in each exam (Writing, reading, listening and speaking). This will be assuming you need it for the points.

With regards to the TRA Skills assessment. It's $600 for documentation checks, then a further $1500 (+GST) for the practical exam!

I am in the process of applying for the 189 visa. I did my IELTS exam yesterday, I've completed the documentation check and when I get the results back I'll book for technical interview as I hear there aren't any practical exams for joiners!

P.s. I'm from Somerset so just down the M5, near Taunton!

Edited by Jack91

Ah sweet, were only up in bristol! which isnt far at all. Wow thats pricey!!! Working holiday visa wouldnt really work for us. So im looking for the next best thing.

what is the 189?!?! I think i can qualify for the 457 visa 190 visa and a couple others, where about's you looking to move to?

My father lives in Lower Almondsbury - I had my IELTS yesterday at Cotham School.... Very small country buddy!! haha

Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189). 190 is a state sponsored one :)

Sunshine coast will be where I'm going mate :)

You username is confusing, RachelManning - signing as Sam!!!

Hi,

I'm currently level 2 NVQ qualified in carpentry, will be level 3 NVQ May 2015. Looking to work in Oz for a few years, moving September 2015. Hoping to get a sponsored visa, ideally a 457, as I don't want to do regional work.

However, it appears you have to undergo a TRA assessment before applying for a visa. Does anyone know if this costs? Or is there any way to get around this?

Is there an easier way to be able to work for up to 4 years, without having to do regional work?

Does anyone have any advice on the best route or path to take?

thanks

Sam

The WHV and regional work would only give you at most two years anyway.

For the 457, I don't know if you would need skills assessment or not, it often is not required for this temporary visa. I think you might need licensing though, which is a different thing.

The biggest hurdle to this plan though, is finding a willing employer sponsor. This is very hard to line up from the UK and particularly hard in the trades. Have you looked into it already and had some positive feedback? Just wondering why you think this is going to be possible or if it is just an assumption at this stage.

After four years on a 457, you cannot progress to citizenship. You could do 20 years on a 457 and not progress to citizenship. To qualify for citizenship you need to have obtained a PR visa. This is probably yr best bet anyway, to do what you want to do.

http://www.gmskilled.com/carpenter-and-joiner-migration-to-australia/

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/assess_my_trade_skills.cfm

http://www.vu.edu.au/skilled-migration-assessment-services-smas/eligibility

Note that the migration skills assessment in the UK is usually undertaken through VETASSESS or Victoria University, through delegation by Trades Recognition Australia.

Another useful weblink which contains details about licensing requirements in each State and Territory is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/c/carpenter.htm

Best regards.