Australian Post, now that's a joke!

Jameister

Yep happens to me all the time, and its when the postman has a DVD or something, cannot be bothered to get out of car and put it in the box. Have watched him do it. Workmen here at the minute cannot believe it. The ones who deliver larger parcels always leave them on my doorstep if I do not have to sign.

It really just depends who is contracted to do our mail and the way they choose to do it.

I can't wait to catch one doing it, but unfortunately I'm always at work when they get delivered or should I say not delivered!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same issue here in ACT and not only that, since I have filed an official complaint and was supposedly "resolved" it is now worse, I had a parcel or two go missing and a parcel or two that did not require signature and would fit the mailbox had to be collected at the local depot, which is out of my way and takes 30 minutes to get to.

Just yesterday I snapped at the woman at the window because it is so annoying. Our postie doesn't even ring at all. I hope to catch him in the act one day and film him, but who wants to sit in on a stake out for ours? And I am not sure it would help.

Once I caught one at the box and told him about my problem and he said to me " can you imagine me ringing every bell when I have to deliver 400 parcels?" I couldn't believe what I've just heard and all I could say is "isn't that your job to do so?" of course I got a smile and he zipped away......

And at one point I thought the UK postal service was bad, living in a rural setting we got mail once a week. But at least you could arrange for re-delivery, same in the US. It seems to be a taboo here in Australia to even complain about it. I contacted the local newspaper a few times and they wouldn't touch it.....

Has anyone had issues with Australian Post?

This has happened almost every time I've expected a delivery where a card gets put in the post box outside even though there is someone currently in the property. I mean don't these guys even bother to knock or is this asking too much?

And I'm not taking about anything big being delivered just a bit bigger then the actual post box.

I think it's a bit cheeky to put a card in the post box saying I have a parcel when they haven't actually attempted delivery.

Unless of course I'm missing something and it's different here, I don't know but shouldn't the postie actually knock on the door to see if anyone is at home first?

Poms are very lazy too. Some on here resent walking down the drive to the letter box, and reminisce about England where they get the mail on the mat and don't have to step foot outside the house.

Regardless of some on here saying about walking to the letter box at the end of the drive, that is not the point here, the point here is the Australian Post service and how appalling it is, fact.

Why do people go to live in another country and then think its OK to abuse the people who live there. Then wonder why they can't settle and don't make friends.:frown:

This has nothing to do with abusing people, it's about a service that we all pay for regardless of any country you live in.

I think on the whole it is an excellent service and cheap too.

If you honestly think this is an excellent service then you must have some incredibly low standards either that or have been blinded by what 'you' think is a good service.

Parcel post is done by contractors not your postie. Small packages that can be carried by your "average postie on a bike" (who, although not a contractor is invariable employed on a part-time temp position) are left to the discretion of the postie as to whether they are left or not.................Aus post receives thousands of complaints about small packages getting damp in the letterbox, nicked etc so prefer, (thereby "turning a blind eye" to the postie), the recipient to pick it up from the post office

I think on the whole it is an excellent service and cheap too.

My experience is rather different to yours then. Recently we had trip back to the U.K. Away for 8 weeks or so went to post office to organize a hold for our mail. Cost nearly $60 and lo and behold some of the mail was not held 3 parcels were delivered and left shoved up against the front door. Two were rescued and taken by a neighbour (luckily she was honest enough to pass them onto us) the other was still on the door step when we arrived home. Complained to post office i was given a twenty dollar refund. Next example i sent a package from country Victoria to Melbourne Yes it was a largish one cost me almost the same as it would cost to send the same parcel from the U.K. to Australia, So no i don't think the service is good or cheap. Quite the opposite in fact.

This has happened almost every time I've expected a delivery where a card gets put in the post box outside even though there is someone currently in the property. I mean don't these guys even bother to knock or is this asking too much?

I know what you mean. I get the same thing. There's obviously been a recent change in how Australia Post pays or hires their postmen, because it's only started happening in the last year or two (I've been in Oz nearly 30 years). They used to come and ring the bell before leaving a card - now I don't think they even bother putting the parcel in their bag.

A soggy letter when it rains and its sitting in the mailbox rather than being dry on my hall if it was posted through the door.

You could say that if you had a properly designed mailbox it wouldn't get soggy. Our mail stays perfectly dry because we got a mailbox that's big enough and has a protective lip. At our last place we were in a townhouse and we got the strata to install protective flaps on the mailboxes, which also solved the problem.

The funny thing is that when I tell some Aussies about getting mail put through the letterbox into their house, they are horrified - all they can think of is the chance for kids to put nasty things through it!

Edited by Marisawright

You probably get good and bad in both (and all) countries. We have great posties here, our parcel delivery contractor is excellent. I used to have lots of packages for work, and if he saw me near the school when I was dropping the kids off, he would check to see if I had anything and give them to me then. On a Wednesday I used to go to a playgroup, and he would drop my parcels in there. I sent out something like 3000+ packages to customers in the time that I ran my business, and I had only one go missing, which I don't think is too bad really.

The clue is in the name "AUSTRALIAN POST" as the majority of Australians are a lazy bunch anyway and want top money for doing very little for it.

You are exactly right, lazy good for nothing Aussies, always looking to get away early and have those long lunches, living the dream aye?

Australia Post??

I try not to write letters and my postie tries not to deliver any to me. A rather good postie, I think.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

I mean it's something to complain about sure, but is it really a big deal if you don't get your post the day you want it ?

Gone are the days of waiting for the postman to arrive. The important stuff comes by courier we just have to live with unpredictable post.

I mean it's something to complain about sure, but is it really a big deal if you don't get your post the day you want it ?

Gone are the days of waiting for the postman to arrive. The important stuff comes by courier we just have to live with unpredictable post.

It's nothing to do with getting your post a particular time, it's actually getting it at all! The issue here is the post service doing there job, i.e. to deliver post.