Bulk billing is dead. Not a good time to be in Australia if you are sick

MichaelP

Slightly off tangent but bear with me.....I saw a documentary recently about the serial killer Harold Shipman. One line struck me particularly. One of his victims apparently went to see him every week for no particular reason, just that she liked him. It got me thinking really that there are many people in Britain who just regard the NHS as free. They make appointments but don't show and visit at the drop of a hat. In my life I reckon on average I have visited a GP once every 3 years.

I think people need to be aware that providing healthcare has a cost. I have sympathy with the arguments of those opposed to these changes but the NHS is struggling with the demands placed on it and I believe that there are too many people using it casually without regard to the costs. I can see what the Liberals are trying to achieve too.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off tangent but bear with me.....I saw a documentary recently about the serial killer Harold Shipman. One line struck me particularly. One of his victims apparently went to see him every week for no particular reason, just that she liked him. It got me thinking really that there are many people in Britain who just regard the NHS as free. They make appointments but don't show and visit at the drop of a hat. In my life I reckon on average I have visited a GP once every 3 years.

I think people need to be aware that providing healthcare has a cost. I have sympathy with the arguments of those opposed to these changes but the NHS is struggling with the demands placed on it and I believe that there are too many people using it casually without regard to the costs. I can see what the Liberals are trying to achieve too.

I see what you're getting at.

We need more Harold Shipman's to deal with these patients.

Now that is too harsh even for me.

The issue is the changes are blanket changes across the board. Maybe people who have a genuine cronic medical condition need to have there records stamped as such and bulk billing continued for these people, others would then pay the leve just a thought. That is all i am trying to say really dont judge everyone as being the same look at the situation and deal with it accordingly.

There are safety nets.

Children and concession card holders are capped at $70 per year and doctors will have discretion to waive the fee in hardship cases.

Many of these poor still find the money to smoke and drink, so maybe they will prioritise their health or their kids health over their cigarettes.

Yes and $70 per year can be equivalent of $700 or $7000 on higher salaries and am sure there'd be a massive uproar if they were expected to pay that.

Once again stereotyping the "poor" as drinkers and smokers. Sure some do but lots don't. The people you are referring to will head straight to an emergency dept & that visit will end up costing a damn site more than $7. And because there are going to be cuts in public health then it's something public hospitals can least afford.

I speak as a single parent who is now in a fortunate position with a highly paid job, the changes will not impact me. However, a few years ago it was was a very different matter.

I think we have all been consistently bombarded over a long period of time, with negative images of single parents from the government and mass media, portraying them has having no intention of working and abusing welfare.

Whilst there are certainly single parents that do abuse the system (and it would certainly be naive to say they don't exist), the majority of single parents do have part time jobs/study and are struggling to create a better future.

Surprisingly the politicians and media forget to mention this....

What happened to protecting the vulnerable and needy in our society? I am more than happy to pay tax if it means another human being has a fair go in life.

Well done Sammy that is great and you are typical of the majority of single parents, they try to improve there lives and there childrens lives but quite simply some need help. Have we totally lost our humanity when we hear people say oh they are just single parents, let them starve maybe then they will get a job. We are not all born with the same IQ, some are far more capable than others, and there are many factors to take into consideration. If a single mum cant get a job locally and her ex refuses to let her re locate even a couple of hours up the road should we all just then say "tough" not my problem ? I agree things need to happen to fix the emergency if there is an emergency but make the changes with some compassion for those doing there best in very difficult curcumstances.

The Commissionin of Audit recommended a $15 co-payment, so I think $7 is reasonable.

Bottom line is medicare is unsustainable as it is and must be reformed.

Says who? There are already enough barriers in place to prevent abuse of the system. Medicare actually works very well.

I'd say offshore detention is unsustainable as it is but that's a whole nother issue.

The Commission of Audit recommended a $15 co-payment, so I think $7 is reasonable.

and just how does introducing a co-payment to fund a research fund reform an unsustainable Medicare?

Edited by Peach

Says who? There are already enough barriers in place to prevent abuse of the system. Medicare actually works very well.

I'd say offshore detention is unsustainable as it is but that's a whole nother issue.

I wonder if this useless Govt, stopped blowing OUR money on foreign aid and fighter jets, would they have more money to pay of their dept??, and

then make our life better?...Just a thought....Did you know Australia is a registered corporation in the USA..Funny that hey?

The Commission of Audit recommended a $15 co-payment, so I think $7 is reasonable.

Good on you. You tell the doctors that.They seem very unimpressed at the moment but I'm sure they'll bow to your superior wisdom and experience.

Good - so do it intelligently...not in a way which will ultimately cost more and produce worse health outcomes.

]The Commission of Audit recommended

The Commission of Audit was a handpicked group of individuals who would produce recommendations compatible with the LNP's agenda - that governments should get the hell out of people's lives and let the free market and natural selection do the rest. Which is fine if you want to live in a country like that. You could try the US - where the median family income is less than it was in 1989.

Part of it is aimed at doctor's overservicing.

Introducing the fee will cut down on many of the people who just like to visit their doctor for a chat. Also there are some doctors who play the system too.

So the fee should cut down on the discretionary use of doctor visits.

The doctors get $2 of the fee too it doesn't all go into the research fund.

The issue is the changes are blanket changes across the board. Maybe people who have a genuine cronic medical condition need to have there records stamped as such and bulk billing continued for these people, others would then pay the leve just a thought. That is all i am trying to say really dont judge everyone as being the same look at the situation and deal with it accordingly.

I thought parley said the doctor could decide to waive the $7 fee? Surely that's a good idea.

Co payments were introduced for prescriptions and no doubt had a hysterical reaction back then also.

But people are used to it now.

Nothing is really free.

If you get it for free it just means someone else is paying for you.

Introducing the fee will cut down on many of the people who just like to visit their doctor for a chat. Also there are some doctors who play the system too.

So the fee should cut down on the discretionary use of doctor visits.

Yes, some do visit to have a chat. Many with mental health issues, this 'chat' keeps them going and out of hospital.

For the elderly it often provides a lifeline.

Perhaps more funding for programs in the community might combat this. Oh wait......

Sorry but why should that be the general populations problem? Has nothing to do with the general population if people split up and partners don't pay their share, well it shouldn't do until it starts costing the tax payer money.

Didn't you have a new baby recently? Why should it be the general population's problem to pay for the birth and health care and schooling of your children? It has nothing to do with the general population if you and your wife decide to have a baby....but the other residents of the UK are expected to pay for them.

......... Also there are some doctors who play the system too.

There are perfectly efficient ways of detecting deliberate overservicing in place at the moment. Of course, with the planned reduction in public servant numbers, these will be harder to detect in future because there will be fewer people to audit bulk billing claims.

Introducing the fee will cut down on many of the people who just like to visit their doctor for a chat

You area must be oversupplied with doctors: any bulk billing doctor around here is too flat strapped with genuinely sick people to have any time to chat.

:shocked: I thought it was to pay off the "budget emergency".

But some CANT pay it that is the truth. Especially single parents many of who only eat every second day so they can feed the kids. Places like the salvos are going to be over run with people seeking help.

Im im quite aware that peeps carnt afford and my heart goes out to em , I'm not a heartless so and so , I also know what it's like to not be able afford when my mother was a single parent .

I also give give ex amount of dollars to homeless charities , diabetes Australia , and wwf a month . I also was feeding homeless guy on the park near southbank for 3 month who was ruffling it under a tree , but he did have money when we asked if he needed anything he had a pocket full of money .

I dont believe people eat every second day if ya single parent , if you have a sack of spuds you have many meals and rice , ok I know they are living hand to mouth and it's difficult and I do feel sorry .

There re will be things in place to make sure peeps can get treatment if needed , they just carnt refuse , what they going do refuse then someone dies , just because of money I doubt it .

Its like in uk now from sept every kid under a certain age to get free meals so they know theve had at least one good meal .

Surley there will be a system in place for the vulnerable and needy hear too . They just won't refuse treatment in a dire situation that will be abuse Noway I don't believe it will happen there will be help for people .:biggrin:

Im im quite aware that peeps carnt afford and my heart goes out to em , I'm not a heartless so and so , I also know what it's like to not be able afford when my mother was a single parent .

I also give give ex amount of dollars to homeless charities , diabetes Australia , and wwf a month . I also was feeding homeless guy on the park near southbank for 3 month who was ruffling it under a tree , but he did have money when we asked if he needed anything he had a pocket full of money .

I dont believe people eat every second day if ya single parent , if you have a sack of spuds you have many meals and rice , ok I know they are living hand to mouth and it's difficult and I do feel sorry .

There re will be things in place to make sure peeps can get treatment if needed , they just carnt refuse , what they going do refuse then someone dies , just because of money I doubt it .

Its like in uk now from sept every kid under a certain age to get free meals so they know theve had at least one good meal .

Surley there will be a system in place for the vulnerable and needy hear too . They just won't refuse treatment in a dire situation that will be abuse Noway I don't believe it will happen there will be help for people .:biggrin:

It's lovely to have optimism, but to me that just feels like brushing the issues under the carpet and assuming everything will be alright.

Just because we ignore something does not mean that it is not there.

The people you are referring to will head straight to an emergency dept & that visit will end up costing a damn site more than $7.

And clog up the emergency dept for real emergencies like heart attacks and car accident victims.

It's lovely to have optimism, but to me that just feels like brushing the issues under the carpet and assuming everything will be alright.

Just because we ignore something does not mean that it is not there.

I also know know that too. I don't ignore but I carnt changed the world if I could I would , the thing is someone gets screwed somewhere along the line no one will be happy whichever result comes out , peeps moan when they get hit with something .

And clog up the emergency dept for real emergencies like heart attacks and car accident victims.

Our ED gets a lot of people attending for non emergencies and we have an out of hours GP on campus. At one point the ED staff were directing people to the OoH's GP if it was a non emergency when they were really busy.

Honest question. Do these changes need to be approved by the Senate in order to become law?

Well yes. All bills go before the Senate prior to becoming law. ALP claim they will not support this and other bills along with Greens. At least from what I understand. Greens look like supporting the petrol levy and ALP the levy on those earning over $180,000 after previously going against it. What will Palmer do?