Bulk billing is dead. Not a good time to be in Australia if you are sick

MichaelP

Well it's going cost me a fortune then , son is insulin dependant , bllod tests , then results , prescriptions , ect.... Free prescriptions on the NHs for life if on meds for life I do miss that lol .... But if you've got pay it , you've got pay it , not great but health comes first . :biggrin:

But some CANT pay it that is the truth. Especially single parents many of who only eat every second day so they can feed the kids. Places like the salvos are going to be over run with people seeking help.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I heard on the radio this morning that none of the $7 is to raise any money for this manufactured 'budget emergency' but will in fact be used for the 'medical research donation' Abbott is offering (which I am sure will go to big pharmaceutical companies - such as maybe the one that sponsors Abbott's cycling shirt? #justsaying.... especially as the CSIRO budget has been cut in the budget too), so what you are saying sounds more and more likely

And when they make these major medical discoveries who do you think will benifit ? The RICH because the poor wont be able to afford the treatment costs which will be in the thousends.

Total Americanization of Medicare is under way.

The irony of people not being able to go to the doctor unless they can afford to pay into the biggest medical research fund in the world is lost on these pollies. Australia is just 1/350 of the world's population, why do we have to fund such a large research fund anyway, that will mostly benefit international pharma companies?

The cost of people not going to the doctor is going to be very expensive in the long term.

Funeral Companies will do well out of the GP Tax !

But some CANT pay it that is the truth. Especially single parents many of who only eat every second day so they can feed the kids. Places like the salvos are going to be over run with people seeking help.

For heavens sake put a sock in it and stop being so ridiculous!

Single parents are not eating every other day, they have benefits chucked at them left right and centre, they are not eating every other day and even you don't really believe this.

Single parents are not eating every other day, they have benefits chucked at them left right and centre, they are not eating every other day and even you don't really believe this.

So do you have first hand knowledge of the situation ? Because I do. Are you even aware that Tax Benifit A and B are not welfare they are in fact a replacement for no longer being able to claim dependents on your tax? Maybe if ex partners were made to pay up on child Support single parents would not need so much help from Center Link. Are you aware that many single parents do work and do pay taxes ? Are you aware many pay rents in excess of $400 a week and are not "allowed" to relocate to find a better job or cheaper accomadation with out the approval of the Ex partner ? Are you aware that before and after school care cost $60 a day ?

Actually I heard on the radio this morning that none of the $7 is to raise any money for this manufactured 'budget emergency' but will in fact be used for the 'medical research donation' Abbott is offering (which I am sure will go to big pharmaceutical companies - such as maybe the one that sponsors Abbott's cycling shirt? #justsaying.... especially as the CSIRO budget has been cut in the budget too), so what you are saying sounds more and more likely

Yes, exactly so. There are 2 problems with this. They said 5 of the $7 is going to establish a new medical research unit. So why isn't all the money going to the budget if it's such an "emergency"?

And they said months ago they were not going to give handouts to businesses. So, if they are so short of money, why are they establishing a new business which will employ very few people, have no guaranteed outcomes...and compete with the other excellent medical research centres already operating in Australia?

I'd suggest you talk to people who deal daily with those on low incomes - including the working poor, not your stereotyped "dole bludgers" - before you tell anyone to put a sock in it. Otherwise you just show your ignorance.

So do you have first hand knowledge of the situation ? Because I do. Are you even aware that Tax Benifit A and B are not welfare they are in fact a replacement for no longer being able to claim dependents on your tax? Maybe if ex partners were made to pay up on child Support single parents would not need so much help from Center Link. Are you aware that many single parents do work and do pay taxes ? Are you aware many pay rents in excess of $400 a week and are not "allowed" to relocate to find a better job or cheaper accomadation with out the approval of the Ex partner ? Are you aware that before and after school care cost $60 a day ?

You are correct and I do see it.

They are many people doing it very tough. There are many single parents who are working two or three low paid part time jobs and they are still barely able to afford rent, food and living costs.

They do not have benefits thrown at them.

Unfortunately with the abolition of Family Tax B to those with children over six, the vulnerable and those in need will be hit even harder. That's the reality.

Edited by Sammy1

It costs us $74 for a 5 minute consultation anyway- and you don't get much back. Not many bulk bill round here.

I also go to a doctor who doesn't bulk bill. But I can afford to make that choice. Many people can't.

The cost of people not going to the doctor is going to be very expensive in the long term.

It has been calculated. I can't remember the exact figures but it ends up costing the hospital system many, many times what preventative care at the GP level would cost.

So it doesn't even make economic sense, quite apart from any social ideology about a fair and accessible health system.

You are correct and I do see it.

They are many people doing it very tough. There are many single parents that are working two or three low paid part time jobs and they are still barely able to afford rent, food and living costs.

They do not have benefits thrown at them.

Unfortunately with the abolition of Family Tax B to those with children over six, the vulnerable and those in need will be hit even harder. That's the reality.

I have to admit Sammy that up to 3 years ago I thought the same, my impression of single parents were the young teenager down the park with 3 kids and no intention of getting a job. Boy have my eyes been opened since our daughter marrage failed. Via our daughter we have been introduced to a whole new world, A world of never ending struggle to make ends meet, a world where jobs and cheaper accomadation are just a couple of hours away but they are not allowed to move there. You are 100% correct many work 2 or 3 jobs trying to make ends meet and many also study to try to improve there chance of getting work. All I can say to people is please dont judge untill you have walked in there shoes.

I have to admit Sammy that up to 3 years ago I thought the same, my impression of single parents were the young teenager down the park with 3 kids and no intention of getting a job. Boy have my eyes been opened since our daughter marrage failed. Via our daughter we have been introduced to a whole new world, A world of never ending struggle to make ends meet, a world where jobs and cheaper accomadation are just a couple of hours away but they are not allowed to move there. You are 100% correct many work 2 or 3 jobs trying to make ends meet and many also study to try to improve there chance of getting work. All I can say to people is please dont judge untill you have walked in there shoes.

I speak as a single parent who is now in a fortunate position with a highly paid job, the changes will not impact me. However, a few years ago it was was a very different matter.

I think we have all been consistently bombarded over a long period of time, with negative images of single parents from the government and mass media, portraying them has having no intention of working and abusing welfare.

Whilst there are certainly single parents that do abuse the system (and it would certainly be naive to say they don't exist), the majority of single parents do have part time jobs/study and are struggling to create a better future.

Surprisingly the politicians and media forget to mention this....

What happened to protecting the vulnerable and needy in our society? I am more than happy to pay tax if it means another human being has a fair go in life.

Edited by Sammy1

Sorry but that is such an unfair comment. I am a single parent and I do not have benefits thrown at me left, right and centre. I receive family tax only but I was under the impression that this was a tax concession and NOT a benefit but this budget says that I will soon no longer receive it. I work hard and I am privileged enough to earn enough to support myself and my 2 children but after doing that I have little left. However, I know for a fact that there are plenty of people out there, single parents, unemployed, pensioners who have far less than me and we as a society should be looking after them, not making their lives even harder.

I find it very sad that not more compassion is shown to people who have less and even sadder when people are all stereotyped. Of course some people milk the system but not all and why should the majority be punished because of that. $7 to someone on a larger income is the equivalent of $70 or even more. In a fair society health care should be free so the needy and vulnerable can be looked after. Unfortunately under Mr Abbott, Australia is becoming a bit of a "I'm alright Jack" society.

There are safety nets.

Children and concession card holders are capped at $70 per year and doctors will have discretion to waive the fee in hardship cases.

Many of these poor still find the money to smoke and drink, so maybe they will prioritise their health or their kids health over their cigarettes.

Sorry but why should that be the general populations problem? Has nothing to do with the general population if people split up and partners don't pay their share, well it shouldn't do until it starts costing the tax payer money.

There are safety nets.

Children and concession card holders are capped at $70 per year and doctors will have discretion to waive the fee in hardship cases.

Many of these poor still find the money to smoke and drink, so maybe they will prioritise their health or their kids health over their cigarettes.

Why should it be up to doctors to divine whether someone can or can't pay?

As I said before, it is perverse to expect the poorest in society to fork out $70 each per year, when they struggle to pay for food, heating etc

Let's face it, the poor suffer from relatively ill health due to a myriad of reasons. That's just a fact of life. There is an unwritten rule in medicine called the 'inverse care law': the most needy in society are the least likely to seek medical attention and vice versa. This system will take that to a whole new level.

Do you libtards actually believe in a fair go or not?

Why should it be up to doctors to divine whether someone can or can't pay?

As I said before, it is perverse to expect the poorest in society to fork out $70 each per year, when they struggle to pay for food, heating etc

Let's face it, the poor suffer from relatively ill health due to a myriad of reasons. That's just a fact of life. There is an unwritten rule in medicine called the 'inverse care law': the most needy in society are the least likely to seek medical attention and vice versa. This system will take that to a whole new level.

Do you libtards actually believe in a fair go or not?

Libtards aye? There's an intellectual argument right there.

There are safety nets.

It's completely unworkable from both a financial and bureaucratic angle according to doctors - for the reasons Harpo outlined earlier in this thread. They've already said it will cost more to administer than any revenue raised. They already have a huge bureaucratic paperwork load demanded by government - even without this new system.

So doctors will have the discretion to withdraw from bulk billing altogether. (As many have already done, because of government interference. I had a GP once who told me he didn't bulk bill because the government wanted too much information about the patients in return which he thought was none of its business).

Many of these poor still find the money to smoke and drink, so maybe they will prioritise their health or their kids health over their cigarettes

And many many more of them don't do either because they can't afford to. But you wouldn't know because they don't go around with a placard saying "I don't look like a bogan and I don't smoke or drink but I'm struggling to provide the basics for my kids".