Bulk billing is dead. Not a good time to be in Australia if you are sick

MichaelP

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hear hear!

Give some people power and they abuse it, they obviously haven't thought it all through nor know the facts themselves to sell this budget. Tony Abbott made a comment yesterday that "the unemployed have no right to hold out for a dream job" - of course they don't but what a condescending inappropriate comment and what is that saying to the unemployed who are actively trying to find a job? He is tarring everyone with the same brush and I hope that the people who voted for him in good faith are seeing him for the person that he really is. And he should also understand that he's the prime minister of all of Australia, regardless of wealth, so maybe he needs to be advised to show a little compassion or even if he doesn't posses that, just show a little tact. If the liberals want to stay in then they need to find someone who commands a little more respect.

And as for his daughter's scholarship, I'm sure she was awarded that when he was a politician, and a politician in a party that believes we should all pay our own way. And here is is spouting on that the changes to education will be helping low income earners - how?! Double standards. Do what I say, not what I do.

I am scared to, in case it cuts to a shot of him wearing his budgie smugglers. If he winks, well that will have me out for the day.

Me too!

The revulsion of seeing this mans face is too much for me these days.

He used be a joke character when in opposition, a bit of a simpleton who accidentally fell into the job of opposition leader, never out of hi viz and safety goggles, and with a brainless three word slogan always on the tip of his tongue, designed to whip up fury amongst xenophobic bogans.

But not in his mind, I'm sure he believes it was god's will for him to become PM. Just like Morrison believes he was anointed by god to block the 'others' from entering the promised land of Australia.

Now they have their claws on the levers of power, it's no longer a laughing matter. How much damage can they do in 3 years, having achieved so 'much' in 8 months?

This isn't really addressed to you in particular, but to anyone who is morally outraged that students have to pay for their education. I find it a bit weird that I, as a high income earner that already pays a higher % of my income over and utilises very few resources, is apparently not paying enough tax and most people on this thread would have 90% of my income taken off me or so it seems. But yet same people are opposed to students having to pay their own way.

The only reason I have my high income now is because I was a student!

When I started a student, there was no such thing as student loans and my goodness did I struggle. I could barely feed myself and I was without doubt the hardest up student I ever met. In my third year student loans came into being in the UK and I was first in the queue and it was a life saver to me. I was never able to really enjoy student life because I was utterly skint the majority of the three years, but the student loan helped me to complete my course, it meant I didn't have to give up. Yes people from well off families had it better than me, but so be it, life is not fair. The student loan in my third year made it possible.

I started off my working life on GBP11,000 a year and it took a couple of years to pay off my loan, but it was paid off a long time ago. Yes I was fortunate, no tuition fees in those days, but even if there had been, I am sure that I would have had the foresight to know that this was an investment in my future. I could have paid off my student loan a thousand times over by now and it would still have been worth it.

Rupert - no-one on this thread is expecting you to have 90% of your income taken away that's just silly! It's just that this budget has specifically targeted a certain group of people so it seems to be more than a financial decision I believe. No-ones doubting that you've worked hard to get where you are and have struggled along the way - I'm sure the majority of us on this thread have also regardless of our incomes. I believe society needs to have empathy for people less fortunate than ourselves and the people who will be affected quite badly by this budget but will just soldier on regardless - they are not the dole bludgers, the single parents who would rather reproduce than work, and the lazy youth of today! That is stereotyping people and by trying to slam down on them, it will be the innocent who suffer.

Low income earners work hard too believe it or not. I'm not a loony left, I just despair sometimes of the stereotyping and not even wanting to try and understand or want to know how difficult it is for other people less fortunate.

Wow gosh, have to drive 30 minutes to work. I have had 90 minutes journey to work for majority of my working life, now a relatively easy 60 minutes. I didn't know I was so hard done by. I think I will refuse from next week and expect other people to pay my bills instead.

I don't think the 30 minutes travel was the main issue. However, when you add it to the expense of child care before and after school, earning minimum wage/casual work and petrol, well then that's a different story for a single parent. It all adds up and it is incredibly tough for a lot of people.

Rupert - no-one on this thread is expecting you to have 90% of your income taken away that's just silly! It's just that this budget has specifically targeted a certain group of people so it seems to be more than a financial decision I believe. No-ones doubting that you've worked hard to get where you are and have struggled along the way - I'm sure the majority of us on this thread have also regardless of our incomes. I believe society needs to have empathy for people less fortunate than ourselves and the people who will be affected quite badly by this budget but will just soldier on regardless - they are not the dole bludgers, the single parents who would rather reproduce than work, and the lazy youth of today! That is stereotyping people and by trying to slam down on them, it will be the innocent who suffer.

Low income earners work hard too believe it or not. I'm not a loony left, I just despair sometimes of the stereotyping and not even wanting to try and understand or want to know how difficult it is for other people less fortunate.

Oh really do you think? So what percentage of income do you think it is ok to take of a hard working higher income payer then? Because nobody seems to think that the current % is enough as far as I can tell. So I would be interested to hear a figure. Name it.

And could I be any clearer. In my real life, I do not know ANYONE, who has struggled as much as I have in my past. I was brought up in abject poverty. So don't assume that people don't understand just because they don't support a benefits culture. I believe the route out of poverty is through work, not benefits. And yes, even if that does mean a 30 minute journey to work.

Oh really do you think? So what percentage of income do you think it is ok to take of a hard working higher income payer then? Because nobody seems to think that the current % is enough as far as I can tell. So I would be interested to hear a figure. Name it.

And could I be any clearer. In my real life, I do not know ANYONE, who has struggled as much as I have in my past. I was brought up in abject poverty. So don't assume that people don't understand just because they don't support a benefits culture. I believe the route out of poverty is through work, not benefits. And yes, even if that does mean a 30 minute journey to work.

I am not saying that you should be paying more tax at all, I'm trying to emphasize with the low income earners who are undoubtedly the worse hit. Also I am not questioning the struggles you have had in your life to get you where you are as I have no idea, just as you have no idea of the struggles other posters or myself have been through but this post has nothing to do with that, I'm trying to think about people who have less than me and I know some of them too. This budget is not only attacking people on benefits, it is also attacking people in low paid employment who are seeing their family tax being taken away which is NOT a benefit so they are certainly being asked to pay just as much if not more tax than the high income earners.

Once again let's get rid of the stereotyping. What about the disabled? What about the single parents with disabled children. It's all just so wrong.

I have been following this thread intermittently and a few things spring to mind.

It annoys me at the moment in the UK that I work 60+ hours per week (admittedly from home so no commute or childcare costs, but crazy hours, working till 1/2 am each day) and there are people who have never worked and are generational claimants. I have met people who are desperate to work and equally, I know people that have no intention of ever getting a job.

I can completely appreciate where @Rupert is coming from here. The tone of some of the posts seems to be that higher wage earners should support the people who don't work. The actual words aren't there, it's the tone.

Of course, as a society we all have a responsibility to look after those less fortunate than us, especially the most vulnerable in society; the disabled, the elderly and children. But does that mean that we should take the food out of our own children's mouths in order to give to other people's children?

In the UK, I have a lovely lifestyle. I live in a big house, can afford to buy what I want, when I want etc., etc. I know that when we move to Aus, that lifestyle will take a hit as I've promised my children (rather stupidly) that I won't work until they go up to Senior High School. That's fine, I'm going in to it with my eyes open, knowing that careful budgeting is the way forward. But I had children knowing that I could support them. I had them knowing that if things went south between Mr MtT and myself, I could afford to pay the mortgage and bills on my own. I've always worked and had seven children and living so far from my family, not had family to turn too and struggled. But I never once said to Mr MtT it's okay we can get benefits. Because that's not okay (to me). Benefits to help top up your income are one thing, benefits to give you a living are another. I feel so sorry for the lady in the example as it seems to me that she wants to work so badly. But (and you will all shoot me down now) she shouldn't have had children until she knew she could support them.

I'm not in the same position as Rupert. I wasn't brought up in poverty by any stretch of the imagination but I was brought up in a family of migrants who worked hard for what they had and I was taught that the only way I would ever get anywhere in life was to work hard (or marry a rich man; I chose Mr MtT!!).

I have been following this thread intermittently and a few things spring to mind.

It annoys me at the moment in the UK that I work 60+ hours per week (admittedly from home so no commute or childcare costs, but crazy hours, working till 1/2 am each day) and there are people who have never worked and are generational claimants. I have met people who are desperate to work and equally, I know people that have no intention of ever getting a job.

I can completely appreciate where @Rupert is coming from here. The tone of some of the posts seems to be that higher wage earners should support the people who don't work. The actual words aren't there, it's the tone.

Of course, as a society we all have a responsibility to look after those less fortunate than us, especially the most vulnerable in society; the disabled, the elderly and children. But does that mean that we should take the food out of our own children's mouths in order to give to other people's children?

In the UK, I have a lovely lifestyle. I live in a big house, can afford to buy what I want, when I want etc., etc. I know that when we move to Aus, that lifestyle will take a hit as I've promised my children (rather stupidly) that I won't work until they go up to Senior High School. That's fine, I'm going in to it with my eyes open, knowing that careful budgeting is the way forward. But I had children knowing that I could support them. I had them knowing that if things went south between Mr MtT and myself, I could afford to pay the mortgage and bills on my own. I've always worked and had seven children and living so far from my family, not had family to turn too and struggled. But I never once said to Mr MtT it's okay we can get benefits. Because that's not okay (to me). Benefits to help top up your income are one thing, benefits to give you a living are another. I feel so sorry for the lady in the example as it seems to me that she wants to work so badly. But (and you will all shoot me down now) she shouldn't have had children until she knew she could support them.

I'm not in the same position as Rupert. I wasn't brought up in poverty by any stretch of the imagination but I was brought up in a family of migrants who worked hard for what they had and I was taught that the only way I would ever get anywhere in life was to work hard (or marry a rich man; I chose Mr MtT!!).

You have seven children, so of course you are receiving government help via child tax credits etc etc. It really does annoy me when people disclaim that they receive anything.

It is too easy to say to another human being that they should not have had children if they cannot support them. Seriously how condescending.

Many women through circumstance find themselves on their own, whether that be though becoming a widow or a breakup. I was one of those ladies.

I did it tough for quite a while when I became a single parent, now I have a very comfortable lifestyle/career and support my family. Just because I am ok does not mean I have a "I'm alright Jack" attitude to those who do not.

The wealthy receive welfare, a lot, have no doubt of that.

Edited by Sammy1

Guest The Pom Queen

I started off my working life on GBP11,000 a year and it took a couple of years to pay off my loan, but it was paid off a long time ago. Yes I was fortunate, no tuition fees in those days, but even if there had been, I am sure that I would have had the foresight to know that this was an investment in my future. I could have paid off my student loan a thousand times over by now and it would still have been worth it.

£11,000 a year, hey that's a great wage, I was on £1040 a year, yes £20 a week when I first started working.

£11,000 a year, hey that's a great wage, I was on £1040 a year, yes £20 a week when I first started working.

Mine was $17.50 and as a student nurse I came out with less than $400 per month and had to pay board. Our combined income here excludes us from any family payments here

Edited by ali

You have seven children, so of course you are receiving government help via child tax credits etc etc. It really does annoy me when people disclaim that receive anything.

It is easy for you to say to another human beign that they should not have had children if they cnanot support them, but seriously how condescendign. Many women through circumstance find themselves on their own, whetehr that be though becoming a widow or a breakup. I was one of those ladies.

I did it tough for quite a while, now I have a very comfortable lifestyle and support my family. Just because I am ok does not mean I have a "I'm alright Jack" attitude to those who do not.

The wealthy receive welfare, have no doubt of that.

Excuse me @Sammy1 but I DO NOT receive Government help whatsoever. And I have not ever done so. Because my children have always been at different stages and even now, I have seven children, five of whom are over 18. How dare you tell me what I receive and don't receive. I don't know how generous benefits payouts are in Australia but in the UK we have both earned too much to be awarded Government help and actually, for your information, when I DID apply for Family Tax Credit (as it was called back then) I was eligible for £27 per week, which I told them to keep! £27 per week!! They can stick that where the sun doesn't shine. So you don't dare make assumptions about me and my situation or call me a liar either. I receive my child benefit payments and that is all.

Excuse me @Sammy1 but I DO NOT receive Government help whatsoever. And I have not ever done so. Because my children have always been at different stages and even now, I have seven children, five of whom are over 18. How dare you tell me what I receive and don't receive. I don't know how generous benefits payouts are in Australia but in the UK we have both earned too much to be awarded Government help and actually, for your information, when I DID apply for Family Tax Credit (as it was called back then) I was eligible for £27 per week, which I told them to keep! £27 per week!! They can stick that where the sun doesn't shine. So you don't dare make assumptions about me and my situation or call me a liar either. I receive my child benefit payments and that is all.

Oh my goodness. How dare I point out that all classes of people receive government help in one way or another, whether that be through tax credits, salary sacrifice or tax breaks. How very dare I.

Oh dear. I must be really ancient. I started on £4.50 (£ 4 and 10 shillings then). I remember it clearly as my fares for the week were exactly £1 and my mother took £2.00 off for keep. but I still managed and to be fair, my wages rose rapidly

Oh my goodness. How dare I point out that all classes of people receive government help in one way or another, whether that be through tax credits, salary sacrifice or tax breaks. How very dare I.

Actually @Sammy1 you were making direct assumptions about me when you don't know anything about me and then to cap it all off, you inferred I was a liar by secretly claiming Government help and pretending I didn't. This isn't about "other people" this is about what you directly said about me. I do my own tax returns as I am a sub contractor and I don't have a salary sacrifice and I am one of those people who don't even lie about their income but declare everything to the Inland Revenue. My husband doesn't do salary sacrificing either. I am not trying to get out of paying tax and never have done. I have no issue with paying tax, I have an issue with generational benefit claimants who make claiming benefits their sole and only source of income.

You have seven children, so of course you are receiving government help via child tax credits etc etc. It really does annoy me when people disclaim that they receive anything.

It is too easy to say to another human being that they should not have had children if they cannot support them. Seriously how condescending.

Many women through circumstance find themselves on their own, whether that be though becoming a widow or a breakup. I was one of those ladies.

I did it tough for quite a while when I became a single parent, now I have a very comfortable lifestyle/career and support my family. Just because I am ok does not mean I have a "I'm alright Jack" attitude to those who do not.

The wealthy receive welfare, a lot, have no doubt of that.

I'm condescending because I believe that women should be able to support children in the event of anything happening to their partner/husband? I would have thought a better word for it would have been sensible.

Absent Fathers paying their way would help an awful lot!

This is really the root of at least a part of the problem isn't it?. The government should be doing more to help sort the problem of absent parents not contributing to their own children's upkeep

Guest The Pom Queen

Can we stop getting personal please otherwise some will be having days off and seen as I won't be on for a while it may end up being a week.

This is really the root of at least a part of the problem isn't it?. The government should be doing more to help sort the problem of absent parents not contributing to their own children's upkeep

Definitely and there should certainly be something in place that makes a man temporarily infertile so that he can't go off and have more offspring with other people and then ditch them too. If he can't afford to pay properly to support the children he has, it should be chopped off.

Definitely and there should certainly be something in place that makes a man temporarily infertile so that he can't go off and have more offspring with other people and then ditch them too. If he can't afford to pay properly to support the children he has, it should be chopped off.

I'm not sure I'd go that far. I was thinking more of jail or fines