SOL List 2014 Help!

marsh942

Hi all, looking for some guidance please! I am a carpenter from

Scotland and am looking to move to oz on a family sponsored 489 visa. It's taken me months to gather all my evidence and get it certified in order to apply for a skills Assessment to vic uni/vetassess. I've read a couple of things online that IMMI could be removing carpenter from the SOL from

july 2014 and with it being a 12/13 week turnaround for a skills assessment from receipt of payment there's no way I could get my skills assessed in time to send an EOI before July 1. So should I hold off applying for the SA until the 2014 SOL is published? And is the general consensus that carpenter will be removed from

The list? I'll be devastated if it is removed!

Even if Carpenter is taken off the SOL, it will remain on the CSOL and probably also on the lists of occupations eligible for state sponsorship by several states/territories (it's currently on at least 4). If you can get enough points for a Family Sponsored 489, that means you also have enough points for a State Sponsored 489. If you have the bare minimum of 60 points, you'll get a SS 489 far sooner than a FS 489 - the number of FS 489s is extremely limited and it's possible you could have a long wait before getting a visa. IMO, you should get your skills assessment and look into the possibility of getting a SS 489 instead of a FS489.

There are two lists - the SOL and the CSOL. If an occupation is only on the CSOL then it requires state or company sponsorship. Carpenter is unlikely to be removed from the CSOL and a number of states would probably keep it on their lists as eligible for state sponsorship. So, instead of using family sponsored 489, you could go via state sponsored 489 if it is only kept on the CSOL.

The CSOL is the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List and includes the SOL occupations plus a fairly large number of other occupations that are only eligible for state or employer sponsored visas. When an occupation is removed from the SOL, it almost always stays on the CSOL (IIRC, only one or two have ever been removed from both). I think you can count on a mainstream trade like Carpenter staying on the CSOL even if it's taken off the SOL.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx The CSOL

If you have 60 points even without family sponsorship, you should definitely either go for a 189 (if still on the CSOL) or a 190 (if only on the CSOL) - both are PERMANENT visas, MUCH better than provisional 489s and with nothing like the same location strings attached. Going for one or the other (depending on the list it's on at the time) is an absolute no brainer compared to any 489, particularly a FS 489.

Every month, hundreds of 60 point 189 EOIs get invitations and in the last round (28 April 2014), 60 point EOIs submitted before 22/03/2014 8.04 pm were invited so the wait isn't long at all. ALL 60 point 190 EOIs get immediate invitations.

Thank you very much for the reply! That's a great help! I'll read into the 189/190 visas and their differences today! Appreciate the feedback! I (rather naively) just assumed the option with FS would be the best because I'd be applying with the most points possible