Solicitor applying for VISA 189. Skills assessment

Guest manrug

29 minutes ago, loveaustralia said:

Does anyone know how you a get skills assessment? I’ve qualified in Australia but it asks for a reference number.

many thanks 

You need a letter from the legal admission board of whichever state you’re qualified in. You should be able to find further details on their website. There will be a fee (NSW fee is $85)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I’m pleased to say I’ve finished the studying required for a solicitors skills assessment, now just waiting patiently for a visa.

For anyone else doing the solicitor studies, you may find the text books are very expensive. Ive attached a photo of the books I used which I now no longer need. If anyone would like them, send me a message and we can work something out. I’m UK based. 

I studied constitutional, equity, civil & criminal, ethics, administrative and companies, so these books may suit any of you doing similar.

Good luck all! 

B0208481-E253-4271-88BE-0003A28F9B13.jpeg

Edited by emperormoose

From one of my scrofulous novels:

"You really reckon all the lawyers and doctors are thieves?"

"Bloody thieves! Look at this bloke in here. You could have galloping knob rot and he'd give you an aspirin if you were lucky. I used to steal to order, textbooks and stuff. There isn't a bookshop in town I can go near. You can check how many medical and legal books get knocked off. Who would have a use for them? Some of the names would amaze you. The same

pricks would cross the road if they looked like running into you. Struck one in a pub once. I says, how long you been out of gaol, so all his mates could hear. Do I know you? he says in a poofy tone of voice. Know me! I says, I used to thieve all your bloody books for you when you were at uni, you bloody scholar. And keep away from my kids you bastard or I'll do you. I was pissed out of me brain. None of them ever done a day’s work or a day inside."

On 14/10/2018 at 13:28, emperormoose said:

I’m pleased to say I’ve finished the studying required for a solicitors skills assessment, now just waiting patiently for a visa.

For anyone else doing the solicitor studies, you may find the text books are very expensive. Ive attached a photo of the books I used which I now no longer need. If anyone would like them, send me a message and we can work something out. I’m UK based. 

I studied constitutional, equity, civil & criminal, ethics, administrative and companies, so these books may suit any of you doing similar.

Good luck all! 

B0208481-E253-4271-88BE-0003A28F9B13.jpeg

Congratulations. It's a real slog. Well worth it in the end. Do you have an admission date in mind?

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am a lawyer from India and I am looking to become a Solicitor in Australia (NSW). I recently got my qualifications assessed by the Legal Profession Admission Board and they suggested I complete four subjects in addition to PLT. I have been told that PLT is only undertaken after completing the recommended subjects by LPAB. Can someone please tell me what all options do I have?

8 minutes ago, IndianLawyer said:

Can someone please tell me what all options do I have?

No, you can do select PLT subjects alongside select academic subjects. In practice - it becomes a lot of work and it was too much for me to manage alongside the day job. So I got the academic subjects out the way then turned my mind to PLT.

Does that answer your question?

On 13/04/2018 at 19:58, emperormoose said:

You need a letter from the legal admission board of whichever state you’re qualified in. You should be able to find further details on their website. There will be a fee (NSW fee is $85)

Just a heads up, this wasn't correct as of when I applied for a visa early in 2018. You simply need to attach a scanned copy of your admission certificate. The reference number is your admission/roll number.

7 minutes ago, LawyerAbroad said:

No, you can do select PLT subjects alongside select academic subjects. In practice - it becomes a lot of work and it was too much for me to manage alongside the day job. So I got the academic subjects out the way then turned my mind to PLT.

Does that answer your question?

Hi there,

Can you please tell me which University/institute offers to do the selected subjects alongside PLT as suggested by you? I will have to apply for a student visa accordingly. Or do you think it is possible to study any of the subjects or PLT on a tourist visa? 

Just now, IndianLawyer said:

Hi there,

Can you please tell me which University/institute offers to do the selected subjects alongside PLT as suggested by you? I will have to apply for a student visa accordingly. Or do you think it is possible to study any of the subjects or PLT on a tourist visa? 

I studied the PLT subjects through the College of Law in Australia from the UK (remote learning). You submit coursework online and oral assessment takes place via a platform similar to Skype. You don't need to do it in Australia.

3 minutes ago, IndianLawyer said:

Hi there,

I studied the academic subjects through the University of New England. Again, all remote learning from the UK. Online lectures and tutorials. I sat the exams at a venue in the UK.

You may find this thread I set up helpful: 

2 minutes ago, LawyerAbroad said:

I studied the academic subjects through the University of New England. Again, all remote learning from the UK. Online lectures and tutorials. I sat the exams at a venue in the UK.

I did follow your thread earlier and it is helpful with respect to the timelines. Unfortunately, I do not have an option of studying any of the subjects from India. There is no University providing a remote learning of the subjects in India. I will have to complete the subjects in Australia itself along with PLT.

Therefore, let me put forth my question again. I have 4 subjects to complete and PLT. How do I go about it in Australia? Can I do PLT on a tourist visa? Is there any course I can apply to which will include the 4 subjects and PLT?

9 minutes ago, IndianLawyer said:

I did follow your thread earlier and it is helpful with respect to the timelines. Unfortunately, I do not have an option of studying any of the subjects from India. There is no University providing a remote learning of the subjects in India. I will have to complete the subjects in Australia itself along with PLT.

Therefore, let me put forth my question again. I have 4 subjects to complete and PLT. How do I go about it in Australia? Can I do PLT on a tourist visa? Is there any course I can apply to which will include the 4 subjects and PLT?

It's outside of my experience to advise you on appropriate visas for your particular circumstances. From my own enquiries, I did not find any Australian institution that ran both PLT and academic subjects. In my experience, they must be studied at two separate institutions, although I will defer to anyone else who has better experience than my own.