Solicitor applying for VISA 189. Skills assessment

Guest manrug

Dear all, 

Thank you for your valuable input on the question posed at the very beginning of this thread. I have read every single reply and I still feel that the answer I am looking for is not clear so please bear with me. It would be great if anyone (especially if someone went through this experience before) can help clarify what a positive skill assessment would mean in practical terms. I am planning to apply to the LPAB of NSW. The immigration website gives no information about what counts as a positive skill assessment apart from stating that it requires a proof of admission. 

1. Is it enough to have the assessments from Form 16 and 17 (academic and practical training assessment) for the purposes of visa 189? 

2. If not, is "conditional admission" sufficient for visa purposes? 

3. Otherwise, I cannot understand how one is required/expected to be *fully* admitted when an applicant actually intends to immigrate to Australia and upon arriving ((if one's application is successful)) complete the necessary steps/studies to sit for the necessary exams and take the oath.

I have tried to read through every relevant official website and attachments (regulations, guidance, etc...) and cannot find a clear answer to my question. 

Your positive skills assessment is your admission to practice as a solicitor. 

Once you are admitted as a solicitor you can then apply for a visa. 

In in order to get admitted, you need to apply to the law society and find out what quals they require you to do. You then study and pass them. 

Then you apply to the board for admission and attend the admission ceremony  

Having just gone through the process, Racmac is totally correct unfortunately... it is a nightmare.

Unless you are very senior (15 or so years +) or silk, you will probably have to do at least constitutional law academic and ethics  & trust accounting plt.

Just to be clear, you do realise you can do all of the qualifications in UK? UNE, Deakin and a few other universities offer the academic courses online. College of Law offers the practical courses.

Lawyers are on the endangered species list at the moment so carefully consider your options. I was lucky due to my previous teaching career.

Happy to help via pm if any use though I am a barrister.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PomsinOz mobile app

Edited by Badgrammar
  • Like 1

Thank you Racmac and Badgrammars for your replies. It does seem like a nightmare unfortunately :/ I have many friends who immigrated to Australia through skill visa but their registration with their respective assessing authorities (i.e. engineers, architects, chefs) etc was much straightforward than lawyers'. 

I too am planning to apply as a Barrister actually, but the bigger challenge is that I am not based in the UK. My only option is an online course... Let's see. 

• 4 months later...

Dear All,

My points are as follow
Education: 15
English language: 10
Experience: 15

Total 65 points

I recently got admitted as a Solicitor in NSW. I have 65 points and DOE is 23/10/2017. Should i expect an invite in next round in November? or should i improve my english language score? i have got positive skills assessment from LPAB on 20/10/2017. 

Your help shall be really appreciated. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just completed all the LPAB requirements for admission in NSW and will be heading over to Sydney for admission in either March or April.

So I’ve turned my attention to the visa process and it seems I may be 5 points shy of the 60 required. This is due to the English requirements. Having never done any IELTS tests it seems I can’t show anything other than competent English, despite having a law degree and having done the Australian study requirements. 

The vocational English points seem to have been removed. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? Does proof of an English law degree imply a higher level for the visa points requirements?

if not it looks like I’ll be doing an English test and hoping I do OK! 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help 

May I suggest that you review PTE in preference to IELTS?

IELTS is a poorly constructed test concocted by little people who are trying to show how very clever they are. It tests a candidate's ability to perform under test conditions and people who do not have good examination technique often do not score as well as they should have.

I have more degrees than a thermometer, am a published novelist and was nearly called upon to sit IELTS to reregister as a RMA.  To claim points for English, a professor of English in Oxbridge would be required to sit an English test. They are not selecting you in particular as a victim of their requirements.

If you read the migration legislation and associated documents, with due diligence, you can see that there is no shortage of functionally illiterate lawyers, senior public servants, judicial officers and others. You can make a living driving trucks through the legislation.

Have fun!

1 minute ago, Smit0007 said:
5 minutes ago, emperormoose said:
Smit - I didn’t have to do an English language assessment for the LPAB. Proficieny was assumed from my English law degree. Worth checking the LPAB admission requirements for your specific situation. 

Ok. So did u study Law in NSW?

Yes. Got my English law degree qualifications assessed by LPAB, needed to do 6 subjects, which I did via distance learning at NSW universities. Uni of New England and Southern Cross uni. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’ll be doing the PTE English test soon. I’m obviously hoping for as high a score as possible and potentially the 20 points from that. If I get it I’ll have 80 points. As a solicitor anyone have any idea how long after submitting my EoI for a 189 visa I’d likely be waiting for an invite? 

And if I only score mid level of PTE and get 10 points, therefore applying with 70 in total, how long the wait might be for an invite?

Thanks to anyone who can help! 

Edited by emperormoose