Medicare

Guest yvetteb1

Guest yvetteb1

not sure where to put this thread!

does anyone know if you have to have employment before you can apply for Medicare? i have read their website and the online form seems to state that if you are a migrant with a perm visa you or your spouse must still have work.

Guest tracywilson

HI

Dont think u have to be working now we werent when we first got our cards but we are perm residents!

Tracyx

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Yvette

No. You definitely do NOT have to start work before enrolling in Medicare.

Once you arrive in Oz using your new PR visa, the DIAC computer automatically notifies the Medicare computer of your arrival. It takes about 10 days for the stuff to show up on the Medicare computer. However, you can then enrol with Medicare and they will provide you with your Medicare cards. You need your passports so that they can check your visas. Sometimes 5-7 days is long enough before you go to the Medicare office.

Please see here:

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/new-residents.shtml

The "Entered Australia on dd/mm/yyy" stamps in your passports plus an address where you can be contacted is all that Medicare need so don't put up with any nonsense from Jobsworths in their offices.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest tony and sheena

I know this sounds pessimistic, but, if you were to be involved in a car accident or become ill etc within a couple of days of arrival and before registering with Medicare, where do you stand with your medical care and bills?

Sheena

I know this sounds pessimistic, but, if you were to be involved in a car accident or become ill etc within a couple of days of arrival and before registering with Medicare, where do you stand with your medical care and bills?

Sheena

There is a reciprocal medical agreement between UK and AUs so dont panic. You are going to have essential medical cover anyway.

Guest mandy1

Hi

You need a permenent address to register with medicare (so they can post your cards) also as you are a UK citizen you are covered under the reciprocal health care agreement. If you need to see a doctor before you have a medicare card you may have to pay but you can claim it back.

Mandy x

When taking clients to medicare ive found it best to leave it for 7 or 8 days after arrival so your on their system ,you can give the address of the rental or anywere you can access mail if youve no permant address as mandy says its only so they can post your cards.Another good tip is always get 2 cards one for you and one for hubby ,they are a good form of ID too.

Cal x

Guest YellowGecko

Emergency treatment is free on just a visitors visa. However, I couldn't enroll with Medicare until I had a temp spouse visa, and no, you don't have to work..

Jo x

Archived