Citizenship can someone confirm?

Roxy1990

Hi All,

Was hoping someone might have the experience of the path to Citizenship, I've read conflicting information. When are we eligible?

This is our timeline;

Entered Oz on Holiday Visas December 2012

February 2012 - 457 Granted

April 2014- Permanent Residency Granted

Neither of us have left the country within this time.

Not intending on chasing this down as priority but I'd like to have an idea so we're aware of any requirements we may need to meet.

TIA

Edited by Roxy1990

My understanding is you would be eligible for citizenship in February 2016, as long as you spent less than 90 days outside Australia in the 12 months prior to February 2016. I could be wrong though and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

Actually your dates don't make sense. Did you get your 457 in 2012 and enter on a holiday visa in 2011? If so then I stand by the above paragraph, if not then you need to be a bit clearer about when you entered Australia and on what visa.

Edited by NicF

Thanks for your reply- How did you arrive at February 2016?

Just edited my post while you posted this. You are eligible for citizenship 4 years after becoming a resident in Australia. Entering on a tourist visa does not make you resident but gaining the 457 does. If you entered in Dec11 on a tourist visa then got your 457 in February 2012 without leaving the country then you became resident in February 2012 and therefore are eligible for citizenship four years later, which would be February 2016. If you entered Australia at a different point then you would be eligible for citizenship 4 years from that point.

Just edited my post while you posted this. You are eligible for citizenship 4 years after becoming a resident in Australia. Entering on a tourist visa does not make you resident but gaining the 457 does. If you entered in Dec11 on a tourist visa then got your 457 in February 2012 without leaving the country then you became resident in February 2012 and therefore are eligible for citizenship four years later, which would be February 2016. If you entered Australia at a different point then you would be eligible for citizenship 4 years from that point.

Yes sorry!!! Confusing!!!

Entered December 2011 (it was the working holiday 417)

457 Granted Feb 12

PR April 14

Have not left the country during this period.

I really wanted to make sure if we did leave it didn't interrupt our eligibility when the time comes.

So if we intend to apply in February 16 we cannot be out of the country for more than 90's overall until that date?

You'll be eligible in December 2015.

Time on any valid visa is counted so even the time on the WHV can be included. Count forward 4 years from December 2011. At that time, you'll have had a permanent visa for at least 12 months so if you haven't left the country for longer than 12 months in total between arrival in 2011 and December 2015 and provided you don't leave for more than 90 days between December 2014 and December 2015, you've met the residence requirements.

Edited by Ozmaniac

Hi! This is another citizenship question! We are both senior citizens receiving UK pensions and will have been permanent Australian residents for 4 years on 1st July. Please can anyone tell us if we would benefit by becoming Australian citizens and also could we still call ourselves British citizens?

Yes sorry!!! Confusing!!!

Entered December 2011 (it was the working holiday 417)

457 Granted Feb 12

PR April 14

Have not left the country during this period.

I really wanted to make sure if we did leave it didn't interrupt our eligibility when the time comes.

So if we intend to apply in February 16 we cannot be out of the country for more than 90's overall until that date?

As it stands Calculator says Dec 2015

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do

Permanent Residence Date: xx April 2014

Intended Lodgement Date: xx Nov 2015

Lawful Residence Date: xx Dec 2011

Residence requirement met: No

Reapply Date: x December 2015. Do not submit your application before this date

Edited by Joebloggs