Only 2,000,000 Australians earn over $88,000

Just about every "mining professional" would be over the $88K wouldn't they VS? I don't think anyone working FIFO, with any sort of qualification would be on less than that. Even if wages are down 37% it's still decent money.

There are a lot of people getting by OK on the average wage though, that's for sure.

Most would desire more than getting by. Australia traditionally done better than that. Inequality is growing and looks to grow considerably.

I think a better way to break things down for wages in $/hr. If a lot of your friends are getting over the average what is their hourly rate? Are you talking trades people?

Here's a good link for hourly rates. http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Carpenter/Hourly_Rate

The carpenter for example could be earning anything between 38,000 to 84,000 at the top end. Hourly rate between about $19 to just over 40$. Big range.

A lot of people wouldn't be as qualified as carpenters so there are an awful lot of people on less than the average. You must mix in well off circles QSS.

Carpenters and associated trades depend largely on how the economy is fearing. When you see a downturn in construction you will see pay rates declining accordingly. There will likely be so many in trades competing against one another that the rest of us will be able to demand reasonable rates for a change.

There's heaps of places where you can get a pub meal under $40. We're going to a restaurant tonight that is really good value. You can get a starter, main and a beer for less than $30.

Don't be taken in by the people that say you can't get good value in Perth, they just go to the expensive places and then moan about them. Our local pub, which is right on the beach with fantastic views and a good atmosphere has a happy hour every night with food specials. $10 for a meal with any drink purchased. Only been on Thursdays for the ribs, great value and $6 pints.

Quality often poor to very average but if you chose the day/night it does seem to be increasing in number.

Just about every "mining professional" would be over the $88K wouldn't they VS? I don't think anyone working FIFO, with any sort of qualification would be on less than that. Even if wages are down 37% it's still decent money.

There are a lot of people getting by OK on the average wage though, that's for sure.

Shoul have put it better - i am struggling to find non mining jobs paying over $75k. Proffesionals in mining though are getting close to that - junior geologists and engineers are already well below $88k. A engineer i know has just taken a job underground for $80k with 2 years experience. My ex boss who has 40 years in the game emailed me today to say he has found work with a company he worked for in 2001. For the same money he was on in 2001.

I noticed in the news today as part of a report on possible budget cuts that only 2,000,000 people in Australia earn over $88,000. That means the vast majority of people are managing on less than this... Why is it so many people on here advise people posting salary expectations that they will struggle on 60 - 80,000 a year, not many aussies earn more than that it seems. The Average Salary figure of 80,000 which I have seen mentioned must be pulled up by the super high earners distorting the figure.

At a guess I would say it is because the majority of regular posters seem to live in the capitals and therefore don't realise their experience doesn't reflect the norm in areas outside those places.

About 18 months ago my brother and I were comparing the salaries we pay our EA's. Mine earns just over $90k pa (Sydney) and if I remember correctly his earns around $42k pa (Wollongong). Driving time between our offices is around 90 mins but they are a world apart in relation to wages and cost of living. Both are happy with what they earn but I think his probably has more spending power so is actually better off despite the lower salary.

As has been said the hourly rate has to be a better indicator. Lots and lots of people work part time for various reasons so that will stage the average yearly wage down too. I'd imagine a lot of partners who are on $100k even $200k would have partners who may only work part time,

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

That's interesting to hear Freckleface. I will be moving to Sydney at some point (not exactly sure when, but in the next 6-10 months) and will be looking for PA/EA roles. I've been looking on Seek from time-to-time and was wondering how realistic the higher salaries are. There are some corking high ones but also some that are not quite as inspiring!

At a guess I would say it is because the majority of regular posters seem to live in the capitals and therefore don't realise their experience doesn't reflect the norm in areas outside those places.

About 18 months ago my brother and I were comparing the salaries we pay our EA's. Mine earns just over $90k pa (Sydney) and if I remember correctly his earns around $42k pa (Wollongong). Driving time between our offices is around 90 mins but they are a world apart in relation to wages and cost of living. Both are happy with what they earn but I think his probably has more spending power so is actually better off despite the lower salary.

That's interesting to hear Freckleface. I will be moving to Sydney at some point (not exactly sure when, but in the next 6-10 months) and will be looking for PA/EA roles. I've been looking on Seek from time-to-time and was wondering how realistic the higher salaries are. There are some corking high ones but also some that are not quite as inspiring!

The level of responsibility and size of company will influence it. If you intend applying for the ones with higher salaries be prepared for long hours and to do more than diary management lol

Yes, much the same as London by the sound of it. I'm a "do-er" so always end up getting involved in lots of different things (voluntarily and involuntarily!), as well as the core PA work.

The level of responsibility and size of company will influence it. If you intend applying for the ones with higher salaries be prepared for long hours and to do more than diary management lol

Yes, much the same as London by the sound of it. I'm a "do-er" so always end up getting involved in lots of different things (voluntarily and involuntarily!), as well as the core PA work.

Sounds enthralling..why not stay in london for heavens sake?

I am moving on a partner visa (if it gets granted!) as my Australia partner has been in UK/London for 12 years and would like to go back now, at least for a few years (parents getting to mid-60s, wanting to spend more time with siblings, nephews/nieces etc). It's a chance I wouldn't have had otherwise, so am giving it a go!

Sounds enthralling..why not stay in london for heavens sake?

If it's a agent, don't believe a word they say, a direct company-advertised role is more reliable. Bear in mind they tend to advertise packages, not necessarily in-your-hand salary; one company I know advertises $200k+ (site geologists mind, but illustrates a point), but when they break it down it includes site accommodation, the cost of the company ute you have to drive on site and any transport to site, so the *actual* salary turned out to be about $80k.