Only 2,000,000 Australians earn over $88,000

I noticed in the news today as part of a report on possible budget cuts that only 2,000,000 people in Australia earn over $88,000. That means the vast majority of people are managing on less than this... Why is it so many people on here advise people posting salary expectations that they will struggle on 60 - 80,000 a year, not many aussies earn more than that it seems. The Average Salary figure of 80,000 which I have seen mentioned must be pulled up by the super high earners distorting the figure.

A lot more folk are on struggle street than commonly acknowledged in Australia. It only takes a look at Seek to get an idea of pay rates. $80,000 being typical in management even a little less for some in the NGO section.

The mining boom has greatly skewered the figures a least here in Perth and costs around that. Hence no wonder why many find it hard. The WA Premier this morning on the news spoke about a decline in wages over the next few years meaning lower living standards will follow. Not sure if he meant wages won't rise or in fact an actual reduction and how that would be achieved.

With luck a touch of deflation would be in order to ease prices back towards pre boom times to make fairer. Not least in housing prices.

I'd also suggest a lot of families have 2 people working.

A lot of the people asking on here, enquire about 1 salary.

and 2million people is almost 10% of all people in Australia. If a third are in school, and a third are retired (number pulled out my ar**) it means that almost a third of earners, earn over that amount.

Just looked it up :-

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6202.0

11.5 million workers.

so 17% (ish) of people earning, earn over $88k.

I have been job hunting and looking for jobs paying a minimum of $75k. There are surprisingly few! Salaries in mining are certainly dropping like stones - the AUSIMM - the official body for mining proffessionals estimates salaries are down 37% over the last 12 months and will continue to fall before rising due to lack of people willing to do the work for what is on offer. Something that i am already seeing

I have been job hunting and looking for jobs paying a minimum of $75k. There are surprisingly few! Salaries in mining are certainly dropping like stones - the AUSIMM - the official body for mining proffessionals estimates salaries are down 37% over the last 12 months and will continue to fall before rising due to lack of people willing to do the work for what is on offer. Something that i am already seeing

Just about every "mining professional" would be over the $88K wouldn't they VS? I don't think anyone working FIFO, with any sort of qualification would be on less than that. Even if wages are down 37% it's still decent money.

There are a lot of people getting by OK on the average wage though, that's for sure.

In our circle of skilled friends I don't know anyone who earns less than $88k. Admittedly there are many unskilled who wouldn't earn anywhere near that but being that most migrants would have at least one skilled person per couple you'd have thought there'd be way more than 17%

In our circle of skilled friends I don't know anyone who earns less than $88k. Admittedly there are many unskilled who wouldn't earn anywhere near that but being that most migrants would have at least one skilled person per couple you'd have thought there'd be way more than 17%

I think a better way to break things down for wages in $/hr. If a lot of your friends are getting over the average what is their hourly rate? Are you talking trades people?

Here's a good link for hourly rates. http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Carpenter/Hourly_Rate

The carpenter for example could be earning anything between 38,000 to 84,000 at the top end. Hourly rate between about $19 to just over 40$. Big range.

A lot of people wouldn't be as qualified as carpenters so there are an awful lot of people on less than the average. You must mix in well off circles QSS.

Same here.

No tradies though, all working in offices in professional environments.

Same here too. At work, even our graduates get about $70k so it is unlikely to be too long before they are over $88k.

In my work place none of the IT team nor the finance team are on over 80, 000 with exception of the respective team leaders.

Same here. No wonder you can't get a pub meal under $40 in Perth if this is the case.

Same here. No wonder you can't get a pub meal under $40 in Perth if this is the case.

There's heaps of places where you can get a pub meal under $40. We're going to a restaurant tonight that is really good value. You can get a starter, main and a beer for less than $30.

Don't be taken in by the people that say you can't get good value in Perth, they just go to the expensive places and then moan about them. Our local pub, which is right on the beach with fantastic views and a good atmosphere has a happy hour every night with food specials. $10 for a meal with any drink purchased. Only been on Thursdays for the ribs, great value and $6 pints.

I noticed in the news today as part of a report on possible budget cuts that only 2,000,000 people in Australia earn over $88,000. That means the vast majority of people are managing on less than this... Why is it so many people on here advise people posting salary expectations that they will struggle on 60 - 80,000 a year, not many aussies earn more than that it seems. The Average Salary figure of 80,000 which I have seen mentioned must be pulled up by the super high earners distorting the figure.

Most families I know have two incomes, so double it.

If the average is $88K and the first few posters don't know anyone on less than that then some poor buggers are going to be on a lot less to bring it down.

Er yes well that is how averages work..still don't get what it has to do with my post. But never mind, I probably don't need to know.

The conclusion would be that the 'top' salaries and 'world highest' wages are just a myth then!

One of the highest minimum wages at $16+ an hour. Of course when the dollar does finally plummet which the powers that be for the most part desperately want, it will not seem much in $US. Of course the present government in place has made some noises with regards to lowering it or at least not growing it.