Advise on Bairnsdale

marwool

We are quite far down the road for a job offer in Bairnsdale and I was wondering if anyone can give me and information on the area? In particular the schooling compared to that in UK? Trying to understand the education system / qualifications and getting very confused. Our daughter attends a really good school in UK and don't want to jeopardise her education, she is 13. Looking at Gippsland Grammar school? Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Sorry cannot help you with the schools. We have a private system and a public system. My son teaches at a high school in a country town and he says country children are great.

Bairnsdale is a town with a very long main road which has most of the shops on it. Its at least three to four hours drive from Melbourne. Its a fairly flat area but near to the Gippsland Lakes if you are into boating etc. Distances in Australia are much greater than in the UK and Victoria is slightly larger than the UK.

Join up with the Life in Victoria forum there is a link at the foot of this one.

Have moved this thread to Victoria

Edited by Petals

We are quite far down the road for a job offer in Bairnsdale and I was wondering if anyone can give me and information on the area? In particular the schooling compared to that in UK? Trying to understand the education system / qualifications and getting very confused. Our daughter attends a really good school in UK and don't want to jeopardise her education, she is 13. Looking at Gippsland Grammar school? Can anyone advise? Thanks.

We have visited Bairnsdale a few times and we like the whole town and the area. If you like small towns (with English standards it would be a village size probably) it is great. If you are from a big city (London, Manchester, Glasgow etc.) and you like the big city lifestyle you'll be bored.

As Petals said, if you into boating and fishing, the beaches etc. you'll be right at home. Lakes Entrance is close by as well and that is a Victorian holiday spot and commercial fishing town.

Just south of Bairnsdale is Raymond Island which is lovely and a koala sanctuary :-) ..a very cozy spot indeed. Good luck and yeah, we are coming to visit ! LOL

It is a nice town, and if you are doing any kind of social work down that way (in East Gippsland) it is very busy !! Not sure what your line of work is, but just thought I'd mention that. My brother lives in Paynesville, which is about 10 minutes out of Bairnsdale, he lives on the Gippsland Lakes, gorgeous spot, affordable and also only a run up the road back to Bairnsdale for shopping and Bairnsdale Hospital. The whole area is very pleasant to live, although a fair way from Melbourne - takes me 3 and a half hours but if you don't need to be in Melbourne, it is a nice country lifestyle (not big city as petals says) but pleasant all the same. I haven't heard any negative feedback about Gipps Grammar, should be fine.

Bairnsdale to Sale about an hour each way so it might be a bit of a trek for school or would she board? (If you are forking out for boarding you might want to look at some of the top Melbourne schools) GG has quite a good profile though - far better than Bairnsdale Secondary College.

Gippy is a nice enough area and Bairnsdale has quite good facilities. Just watch where you live though - check out the flood maps and prior bushfire pathways.

Hi I am a social worker in Bairnsdale with kids aged 18, 14 and 11 we moved here from Manchester over 4 years ago and love it I don't get bored of the beach the lakes and the laid back lifestyle with Melbourne only 3 and a half hours away for a little taste of the city :-) feel free to message me and I can fill u in. As for the grammar school there is a school bus from Bairnsdale to sale everyday (which as said above is about an hours trip each way) but there are also two secondary schools in Bairnsdale the nagel college and the secondary college