to buy in oz or ship out from england?

Eddie10

Hello,

We are coming over to Perth in July but having a dilemma of what to take out with us!!

is it easy to find bits for cheap when you get there or shall we just bring our beds etc with us?

is there car boot sales or the oz version of this?

thanks

Hello,

We are coming over to Perth in July but having a dilemma of what to take out with us!!

is it easy to find bits for cheap when you get there or shall we just bring our beds etc with us?

thanks

If you're happy to buy second-hand then you may be OK, as Australians don't like buying second-hand - so those that do, can get a bargain. The best thing is to check Gumtree.com.au to see how much is available in Perth.

We managed to set ourselves up pretty easy second hand (Sydney though not Perth) we shipped our good stuff and sentimentals. But bought beds, sofas, washing machine, fridge. We got kitchenware, cookware, plates and cups etc from Target/Kmart for really cheap. It's not great stuff but it works. We did the move on the budget so I 'm just demonstarting it's possible. We were 8 weeks without our stuff and it would have been pointless to ship the beds and sofas as we would have had to managed for too long without. We did ship our double as we had not long bought a new memory foam matress and had heard bed sizes differ. So we bought a nice 2nd hand sofa and sofa bed and survived on that. Was so please to see my bed!!!!

We shipped everthing out, but the company was paying. Our daughters are coming out next year, and we're only shipping out their personel stuff. The reason is that with such a migrant workforce here is WA, people literally give stuff away. Look at Gumtree and then select all free ads using the list on the Left hand side.

You'll be amazed. We brought a cheap ute here, and its paid for itself many times over. We got garden furniture, setees, lawnmower, bookcases etc, all for free. If you want to spend a little bit more, then you can easily find everything you need.

Hope that helps

Nick

Got some bargains on ebay, but it was great to have our own stuff as well, all the little things help I think, the mug you got from your friend, the one wine glass that survived my girlfriends washing up efforts... all that I think makes home in a way.. but the big stuff, sofa ($500), bed ($100), tv unit ($1 on ebay), book shelves etc we picked up on ebay and remember Australian houses have built in wardrobes, I have never been in one that hasnt, dont ship more than one wardrobe you will have no place to put it

We have recently arrived in Perth and we brought over most of our stuff however we have some regrets. We should've definaityley brought our car over! We would've made a killing when we came to sell later on down the track (not within the first 12 months for tax reasosn) but we now have a second hand car which will possibly last a year and it cost as much as I sold my Audi for in the UK. Cars are extortionate over here for what you get. We brought over a naf sofa which we wish we'd ditched as they are cheap enough new here (around $1000/£500) for ours if we replaced it. We bought a large fridge/freezer, microwave, kettle, iron, toaster for $1200, all new. Our biggest success was our bed; we got a UK king size (Aussie Queen) with huge mattress with topper and cooling gel, with bedside tables and very large chest of drawers, all in for £1000 delivered. We did live on camp chairs etc. for what seemed like forever and the kids didn't have any toys to play with either but we survived. My one bit of advice is make sure you get a house that fits your stuff in! We are now signed up to live in a house for 12 months and we have half the lounge suite in the garden as the house is too small to get it in to! Grrr. If I were to do it again, I would bring everything and think about what to get rid of once I was here, cost permitting of course! That's another thing - we are having to make a claim so ensure you go for top whack insurance too, it doesn't pay to go cheap and SO many people end up making claims in the end! Good luck and perhaps see you over here.

Got some bargains on ebay, but it was great to have our own stuff as well, all the little things help I think, the mug you got from your friend, the one wine glass that survived my girlfriends washing up efforts... all that I think makes home in a way.. but the big stuff, sofa ($500), bed ($100), tv unit ($1 on ebay), book shelves etc we picked up on ebay and remember Australian houses have built in wardrobes, I have never been in one that hasnt, dont ship more than one wardrobe you will have no place to put it

Our house doesn't have any wardrobes and the houses we viewed before we got this one, only one had them fitted. It does depend on whether you're in a new or established area it seems. :-)

We've lived in three houses and only one had built in robes so I was glad of the wardrobe we shipped. Even now it is sitting in the garage and is used to keep things in. There is an IKEA, gumtree is great, there are garage sales everywhere each weekend and lots of charity shops - the big ones sell furniture. If you are not particular then it is easy to kit yourself out really cheaply and then replace later on when cash isn't so tight.

Hello,

thanks

If you have most of your household kitted out already, it would make a lot of sense to ship it. A container costs £4-5k, if you think about the replacement cost of your furniture it is almost certainly going to be more than that. An average shipment is about 8 weeks, you will probably be in temporary accommodation for your first four weeks, so then you just indoor camp for a few weeks in your long term rental. It doesn't cost much to get a few basics together, we bought a basic white crockery set for $30 example, four mugs, four bowls, four dinner plates four side plates.