We moved back 4 years ago

carrotcruncher

This is one of the reasons we're contemplating moving back, at least for a while. We live in Sydney which is less isolated than Perth, but after 30+ years, I've visited everything there is to visit umpteen times. We're not beach people. I was never bored in Sydney while I was working (because in Sydney, working hours are long so there is no spare time!) - but now I'm semi-retired, I am. Yes we can go to the pub in the evening but what to do during the day?

If your bored in Sydney spare a thought for us in Perth.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you be bored in Sydney ? It's got amazing nightlife attractions and shows. It's like London with sunshine and beaches. Manly is awesome too. You can escape to the Blue Mountains if you need to get away. What are you after ?

Got my wallet stolen twice in London whilst I lived there. Assaulted in Liverpool

and hassled in Crewe.

Six years in Australia never even an insult.

Head kicked in in Liverpool, nearly murdered by mafia like gang in Bristol, threatened in Yeovil, but nothing in 34 years in Perth other than theft from taxman, councils, utility providers and employers,

How can you be bored in Sydney ? It's got amazing nightlife attractions and shows. It's like London with sunshine and beaches. Manly is awesome too. You can escape to the Blue Mountains if you need to get away. What are you after ?

Probley nothing wrong with sydney, just guessing your limited to where you can go outside of sydney

Nightlife for the over 60's? I don't think so. Shows are expensive - over $100 per ticket, can't do that every week. We do go dancing sometimes in the evenings, it's not the evenings that are the problem. It's what to do during the day. We're not interested in sunbaking - I would swim a bit, but my husband is paranoid about overdoing the sun since his skin cancer, so it's not worth the effort of getting to the beach. Manly is pleasant, the Blue Mountains are pretty, and I've certainly enjoyed them over the years - but it has been 30 years, and you can only go to the same places so many times!

It's the tyranny of distance that's the bane of Australian life really - the number of interesting places you can reach for a day trip is very limited, so you do them to death. Whereas you can pick almost any town in the UK and there would be any number of interesting historical sites, walks on disused railways, country pubs etc within a reasonable drive.

I'm not complaining really, because I do realise we're lucky not to be working - but that doesn't mean we have to resign ourselves to sitting at home all day reading a book.

Head kicked in in Liverpool, nearly murdered by mafia like gang in Bristol, threatened in Yeovil, but nothing in 34 years in Perth other than theft from taxman, councils, utility providers and employers,

I'd agree (touching wood) that I've never encountered that kind of trouble in Australia either. You make the UK sound like a scarey place! I'm hoping it's just that you ventured into areas the locals would know to avoid!!

Edited by Marisawright

Nightlife for the over 60's? I don't think so. Shows are expensive - over $100 per ticket, can't do that every week. We do go dancing sometimes in the evenings, it's not the evenings that are the problem. It's what to do during the day. We're not interested in sunbaking - I would swim a bit, but my husband is paranoid about overdoing the sun since his skin cancer, so it's not worth the effort of getting to the beach. Manly is pleasant, the Blue Mountains are pretty, and I've certainly enjoyed them over the years - but it has been 30 years, and you can only go to the same places so many times!

It's the tyranny of distance that's the bane of Australian life really - the number of interesting places you can reach for a day trip is very limited, so you do them to death. Whereas you can pick almost any town in the UK and there would be any number of interesting historical sites, walks on disused railways, country pubs etc within a reasonable drive.

I'm not complaining really, because I do realise we're lucky not to be working - but that doesn't mean we have to resign ourselves to sitting at home all day reading a book.

Problem with UK,Marisa, is grid locked roads (specially weekends and bank holidays) and pubs are closing down at the rate of 27 a day.:arghh:

It's sad to hear of the demise of British pubs. Victorian pubs were headed the same way and whatever people say about the evil of pokies, they have saved pubs and created thousands of jobs. 25 years ago pubs were dying now they are busy day and night.

It's sad to hear of the demise of British pubs. Victorian pubs were headed the same way and whatever people say about the evil of pokies, they have saved pubs and created thousands of jobs. 25 years ago pubs were dying now they are busy day and night.

I agree.....still some beautiful pubs like one of my locals below....the food and pub industry is thriving and in stratford the pubs are packed at weekends and still quite busy in the week.

349788.jpg

Image_1878_3.jpg

Image_1878_3.jpg

Image_1878_3.jpg77-Pub-Fleece-Bretforton2.jpg

Don't blame you for wanting to comeback. I cant believe its Autumn and I am still surfing as the days are shorter but still amazingly warm. I will only return to the UK for a holiday or to remind myself how crap it is. This is my home and loving it

John2012 Port Macquarie is lovey and has the most livable climate in Oz not to mention being the body surfing capital of Australia. We have been up there for the Easter weekend, escaping Canberra brr into a pleasant 27c Sunny Coast. We've also visited the Koala hospital, which had an open day that day.

We are seriously considering moving up somewhere there, Taree, Forster all nice.....

We too feel, that there is no reason for us to move back too the UK. Oh,happy days......

It might not have the same class system as UK, but I think it has something. I am in a pretty senior job and so I tend to work and mix with other senior people. I am telling you they boast and brag about the schools they send their kids too, it would be deeply shameful to use a public school, they are also very, very suburb conscious and I have even heard conversations bragging about their investment portfolios, wanted the ground to open up and swallow me first time I came across that. Class no. Brash, yes can be at times.

But as someone going through a deliberation between two countries that I love, I envy your clear thinking about where you want to be. Good luck with the move back.

Rich and wanna be's are the same everywhere. You cannot see it better than in Canberra, where public servants earning our tax payer monies think they own the world and look down on you if you do not wear the same cheap suit or work in a similar role.

That is not different to UK or US however. Depends who you are. We both have University degrees but are very down to earth in this prospect and a hard working worker is the same in our eyes as is a high earning executive as long as they are not snobs.

Snobs and wanna be's are the reason that society and Earth is not a much better place than it is....

Problem with UK,Marisa, is grid locked roads (specially weekends and bank holidays) and pubs are closing down at the rate of 27 a day.:arghh:

And the pubs that remain you wouldn't want to go in anyway. They are either rough as hell or awful Brewster type places. Aussie pubs have the upper hand now I think at least you can have a drink without fear of being started at.

But you can still find country pubs in Uk that are worth visiting. Reminds me of the film "An American Werewolf in London. Stick to the path.

Edited by jasepom

Half of the locals I went to in Harrogate were absolutely rough as hell. But we did live in the are end of Harrogate called Starbeck. Attempted murder outside our local, garbage everywhere. Gloomy terraced housing. Neighbours looking over your back wall. Did I want to live there ? No.

Half of the locals I went to in Harrogate were absolutely rough as hell. But we did live in the are end of Harrogate called Starbeck. Attempted murder outside our local, garbage everywhere. Gloomy terraced housing. Neighbours looking over your back wall. Did I want to live there ? No.

I can understand that! It makes me wonder, though. Maybe if you'd moved to a nicer part of the UK, you might've been able to stick it out?

Got my wallet stolen twice in London whilst I lived there. Assaulted in Liverpool

and hassled in Crewe....

....put upon in Portsmouth, stood up in Stevenage, made to wait in Woking, stuck in traffic in Truro, and looked at in a funny way in Wakefield....

and hassled in Crewe.

Six years in Australia never even an insult.

I live in Australia and I've got one for ya! :biggrin:

You didn't make the age-old ex-pat error of saying "But everything's soooo much better in Australia!" during a visit by any chance?. Us Brits, we're a touchy and (I'm told) jealous lot.