I would love to move back to the UK, but it is so hard.

Lostlily

Hi Marisa,

You have like us, obviously tried to retire back to the UK and found it is not as easy as may first appear. I would love to hear your experience of this?

We haven't done it yet, we've just been researching it. My problems sound so minor compared to yours! My oh had a serious skin cancer scare and is now paranoid about going out in the sun - we haven't gone for a daytime outing since last June, because he won't walk outdoors (or even drive long distances) between 10 am and 4 pm. I don't want to live the rest of my life like a vampire so we need to move somewhere with a lower UV index.

We don't have kids and, now that my MIL has passed away, we've got nobody in Oz. I have sisters in the UK, I'm a citizen and my oh has enough money to get a spouse visa. The big snag, as you've found, is tax.

Australian tax - We would pay 10% tax on bank deposits - but that could be solved by moving all our money over to the UK. We'd pay 25% tax on our investment property income - no way of avoiding that, unless we sell the property and pay CGT. Luckily we both have our super in industry super funds (if we had a SMSF that would be taxed at 46%).

British tax - We're not collecting a pension from our super yet, but when we do, the UK will treat it as income so it will be subject to tax (which it wouldn't be in Australia). Same goes for the Australian government pension, when we ultimately qualify for that.

The other snag is that we do expect, one day, to need to draw the Australian pension. We won't be able to do that unless we come back to Australia to claim it - then we'll have to stay for 12 months, otherwise they'll cancel it again. Obviously a one-year temporary relocation would be expensive and we might be in our seventies by then!

At one stage we wondered if cheaper living costs in the UK might offset the loss of income - we live in Sydney, so if we went almost anywhere except London or Edinburgh, we'd save a lot of money. However that's only looking at the cost of housing, and it looks like other costs in the UK are as high or higher, so it probably wouldn't be enough.

We're reluctantly coming to the conclusion that it's not practical.

Edited by Marisawright

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the funny thing is, you pay more tax, not less. I think most people imagine that if you're a "non-resident" of a country, then you don't have to pay tax. But the fact is if you're a non-resident, and you've got investments in that country, you're taxed at a much higher rate than residents are.

Im actually referring to income tax. If you work in a country for only 7 months but are registered as a resident you could end up being assessed on the while year, so you end up paying a lower tax rate. For example I worked in Oz for 6 months, then in Uk, when I came back to Australia I found I had a rebate of $5k from ATO.

Not saying it works like that for everyone but its a tax loophole that can be exploited, unless you are upfront with the taxman.

We haven't done it yet, we've just been researching it. My problems sound so minor compared to yours! My oh had a serious skin cancer scare and is now paranoid about going out in the sun - we haven't gone for a daytime outing since last June, because he won't walk outdoors (or even drive long distances) between 10 am and 4 pm. I don't want to live the rest of my life like a vampire so we need to move somewhere with a lower UV index.

We don't have kids and, now that my MIL has passed away, we've got nobody in Oz. I have sisters in the UK, I'm a citizen and my oh has enough money to get a spouse visa. The big snag, as you've found, is tax.

Australian tax - We would pay 10% tax on bank deposits - but that could be solved by moving all our money over to the UK. We'd pay 25% tax on our investment property income - no way of avoiding that, unless we sell the property and pay CGT. Luckily we both have our super in industry super funds (if we had a SMSF that would be taxed at 46%).

British tax - We're not collecting a pension from our super yet, but when we do, the UK will treat it as income so it will be subject to tax (which it wouldn't be in Australia). Same goes for the Australian government pension, when we ultimately qualify for that.

The other snag is that we do expect, one day, to need to draw the Australian pension. We won't be able to do that unless we come back to Australia to claim it - then we'll have to stay for 12 months, otherwise they'll cancel it again. Obviously a one-year temporary relocation would be expensive and we might be in our seventies by then!

At one stage we wondered if cheaper living costs in the UK might offset the loss of income - we live in Sydney, so if we went almost anywhere except London or Edinburgh, we'd save a lot of money. However that's only looking at the cost of housing, and it looks like other costs in the UK are as high or higher, so it probably wouldn't be enough.

We're reluctantly coming to the conclusion that it's not practical.

The regulations change with such frequency in Australia who can say what it would be in a year let alone longer? So you have that for definite 10% on interest accounts? You mean 10% on the dividend paid out I'd expect.

With regards to the year in the country to get the pension, my last reading on that was it was necessary to be in the country two years prior to claiming. One was then free to move elsewhere outside the country.

The regulations change with such frequency in Australia who can say what it would be in a year let alone longer? So you have that for definite 10% on interest accounts? You mean 10% on the dividend paid out I'd expect.

With regards to the year in the country to get the pension, my last reading on that was it was necessary to be in the country two years prior to claiming. One was then free to move elsewhere outside the country.

I know things may change, but I'm reluctant to put up with our current situation in the hope it will. I already feel like I've wasted a year cooped up in the house! If we're not going overseas then we need to move to somewhere with a low UV index - which means Melbourne or Hobart. That would be a big move in itself so I'm not sure I'd be up for a further move to the UK even if the regs changed.

As for the age pension - I stand corrected. I read the one-year thing on a pensioners' advice website, obviously it was out of date. One thing though - the two years doesn't have to be served before claiming. You can claim the day you return, provided you then stay for two years.

Interest - here

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Investing-in-Australia/Receiving-interest,-unfranked-dividends-and-royalties/

One point I should have made is that if you have an investment property, you can still claim all your related expenses just as you do if you're a resident.

Edited by Marisawright

Im actually referring to income tax. If you work in a country for only 7 months but are registered as a resident you could end up being assessed on the while year, so you end up paying a lower tax rate. For example I worked in Oz for 6 months, then in Uk, when I came back to Australia I found I had a rebate of $5k from ATO.

Not saying it works like that for everyone but its a tax loophole that can be exploited, unless you are upfront with the taxman.

Yes, I've benefited from that too in the past. However it applies only if you're genuinely moving countries. The OP (and others) would be keeping a home, car etc in both countries - so both governments would regard them as officially resident all year round, even if they weren't actually in the country.

Guest guest41161
It is more complicated than that. You see, I have a grown up daughter here who has now married an Aussie and has children. Both of my daughters were pressured (unfairly) by us to move out here, one of them went back to the UK due to a marriage break up and her new partner would NEVER consider leaving his family as they are very close. They now have a child too. But even if I did persuade my husband to go back, my daughter here would feel totally betrayed, I know that for fact.

We are now semi retired and have our income from investment properties and some in a SMSF. I wouldn't like anyone to think that I am putting money first, but our income from our SMSF is tax free, this would not be the case if we were in the UK. Also we would lose so much tax relief on our investment properties that we just couldn't afford to make it work and the final point, which some may see as totally trivial is that there are no death duties here, but if we were in the UK our worldwide assets would be subject to death duties.

That to me is not the most important thing, money is not my main interest, but breaking peoples hearts is.

Quite interesting your initial post complained of McMansions, yet a large majority of McMansions are bought up by people as investment properties. Bit hypocritical to criticise an area from which you receive an income from, as well as many others in exploiting housing affordability in Australia? Just as well there are plenty of ignorant bogans who can't afford to buy houses and rentals are the only option.

Quite interesting your initial post complained of McMansions, yet a large majority of McMansions are bought up by people as investment properties. Bit hypocritical to criticise an area from which you receive an income from, as well as many others in exploiting housing affordability in Australia? Just as well there are plenty of ignorant bogans who can't afford to buy houses and rentals are the only option.

OMG you have got it so wrong!

You obviously have an axe to grind....... We came here with some money which we worked 7 days a week for many years to produce. In the meantime employing many people in the UK, who to be honest are still regarded as close friends.

We needed to invest our money somewhere and NO we do not rent out Mcmansions. We have a few affordable rental properties and we are providing a much needed housing need at affordable rentals, we are decent landlords. we do not exploit our tenants.

You obviously have an attitude problem!

Edited by Lostlily

Guest guest41161
OMG you have got it so wrong!

You obviously have an axe to grind....... We came here with some money which we worked 7 days a week for many years to produce. In the meantime employing many people in the UK, who to be honest are still regarded as close friends.

We needed to invest our money somewhere and NO we do not rent out Mcmansions. We have a few affordable rental properties and we are providing a much needed housing need at affordable rentals, we are decent landlords. we do not exploit our tenants.

You obviously have an attitude problem!

No attitude problem at all. It's a bit like Catchphrase, say what you see!

You started this thread by bagging Australia, it's people and it's housing, yet as the thread progressed you decide to tell us how you have Australian properties, being let out to the Australian people and you get to cash up on it? Maybe being a little appreciative to the folks who are funding your pending retirement, rather than slating them because you're having a crap time would have been a better way to start your thread?

You started this thread by bagging Australia, it's people and it's housing, yet as the thread progressed you decide to tell us how you have Australian properties, being let out to the Australian people and you get to cash up on it? Maybe being a little appreciative to the folks who are funding your pending retirement, rather than slating them because you're having a crap time would have been a better way to start your thread?

I think suggesting that other people are finding the OPs retirement is really a bit much. They surely funded their own retirement by saving and investing during their working life and are just getting a return on investment. They are not getting handouts. They probably funded a lot of other people's lifestyles and retirements through taxes paid in their working lives and now.

And OP has apologised for the first post some pages back, I think it would be gracious to accept the apology.

Well then, why are you giving me grief??

Nobody gave us the money to invest in rental properties, we did it the hard way, by scrimping and scraping and buying places that needed a lot of renovations. Which we did by hard graft.

Any one of you could have done the same, a lot of our friends chose different paths IE having the latest model of car, new furniture, designer clothes, but to be honest we were never interested in all that materialistic crap.

Most of my clothes were bought at opshops and our family certainly benefitted from our waste not want not attitude.

The result of this is that we are pretty self sufficient and I am proud of that. It seems the green eyed monster is appearing here. We all have choices and we made ours as you made yours.

Edited by Lostlily

Well then, why are you giving me grief??

Nobody gave us the money to invest in rental properties, we did it the hard way...

The result of this is that we are pretty self sufficient and I am proud of that. It seems the green eyed monster is appearing here. We all have choices and we made ours as you made yours.

I guess this is the point I was questioning earlier. We have ONE investment property, enough money in the bank to buy an apartment mortgage-free, and our super (my super is not huge because I didn't arrive in Oz till I was over 30). We've used lots of retirement calculators and we're reasonably confident we've got enough to last our retirement, if we can access a part-pension when we get older. Have you ever sat down and worked out how long your money would last?

Remember, you would gradually sell off each of the properties as you needed more money (yes, CGT would be payable but you're paying that tax because you just made a huge profit, so you'll still have plenty money in your pocket). So don't just count the rental income.

I know it's not completely relevant as it sounds like you've made up your mind to stay, but I suspect if you add up the sale value of all your properties, you've got more than enough to fund your retirement. So you can't use affordability as another reason not to go.

Edited by Marisawright

I guess this is the point I was questioning earlier. We have ONE investment property, enough money in the bank to buy an apartment mortgage-free, and our super (my super is not huge because I didn't arrive in Oz till I was over 30). We've used lots of retirement calculators and we're reasonably confident we've got enough to last our retirement, if we can access a part-pension when we get older. Have you ever sat down and worked out how long your money would last?

Remember, you would gradually sell off each of the properties as you needed more money (yes, CGT would be payable but you're paying that tax because you just made a huge profit, so you'll still have plenty money in your pocket). So don't just count the rental income.

I know it's not completely relevant as it sounds like you've made up your mind to stay, but I suspect if you add up the sale value of all your properties, you've got more than enough to fund your retirement. So you can't use affordability as another reason not to go.

I see your point. But the overriding reason is not money.

Investment property is hardly unique in Australia. Every second man and third dog would appear to be on board the bandwagon of property investment.

Guest Bora
Oh well, I have received a notification that my message s too short, are they taking the piss????

I have been here in WA for about 15 years. Yeah sure it is great if you want to drive to the local supermarket with no hassle. BUT there are so many disadvantages.

No 1 Australia is full of very ignorant people (otherwise known as bogans)

No 2 The weather is certainly better than in the UK, but that takes away from our excitement of going somewhere warm for 2 weeks p a.

No 3 Everyone here try's to outdo others with their disgusting Mac Mansions, which are totally tasteless.

No $ Once your house is about 30 years old, everybody will give u grief unless u knock it down and build a new one. Sooo environmentally unfriendly!

No 6 As I was told when I came over, there are more sharks on the land than in the sea.

No 7 Don't forget for 1 minute to underestimate the sadness (on both sides) of leaving your family.

No 8 This place is not and will never be home.

No 9 If you choose to take this path, like I did.....Think about what you are leaving behind. IE your heritage, your family and the love and support that you can give to them and also remember that if one or two of your children marries/partners with an Aussie you are stuck!

No 10 Don't always convince yourselves that you can go back, because it is not always that easy.

And on a final note, if you love shopping malls and hate independent retailers, you may think this is great. But I for one have no interest in Big Brother Business and it has got seriously expensive to live here. I do believe it will get worse.

Basically this is not a great place to live ad until my dying day I truly regret coming here.

I think I would have been better off in Southern Ireland (I am not Irish by the way) where people are lovely and intelligent.

Tread your own path, but think of the long term repercussions.

I seem to have missed out on no 5, but never mind I am sure most of you will get the gist lol.

Hi Lostility, pardon me I have not gone through the next 19 pages so I'm not sure what's been said/ what you may or may not have decided to.

However, my question, if I may say so as someone peering through your letterbox (not literally....)

Is this, based on everything you have said. Why is it so difficult to return if you'd love to? Just boil it down to simplicity. Clarity, I've said it before in your case your one of the lucky ones where all you have to do is flick the switch and do it. What is your option, stick another significant amount of unhappy time in gods kitchen? You won't be on your death bed wishing you'd spent more time in Australia. Hurry, life's rushing past and remember only dead fish swim with the current.

Hi Lostility, pardon me I have not gone through the next 19 pages so I'm not sure what's been said/ what you may or may not have decided to.

However, my question, if I may say so as someone peering through your letterbox (not literally....)

Is this, based on everything you have said. Why is it so difficult to return if you'd love to? Just boil it down to simplicity. Clarity, I've said it before in your case your one of the lucky ones where all you have to do is flick the switch and do it. What is your option, stick another significant amount of unhappy time in gods kitchen? You won't be on your death bed wishing you'd spent more time in Australia. Hurry, life's rushing past and remember only dead fish swim with the current.

Oh My Goodness,

I thought twice about answering your questions......My statements above were posted when I was in a very dark and sad place. I am not not suggesting I have removed myself from there, but it was extreme.....

I still honestly totally regret moving here, but there are other family members to consider and it is not "all about me". I persuaded my grown up daughters very much against their will to come over with us, which was totally selfish, one has gone back and started her own family, but all of us are sad and disjointed. I now realise that the grass is not always greener on the other side. There is no way to fix my dilemma without breaking more hearts, so I have to live with the consequences of my selfishness. As the old saying goes "Be careful what you wish for". Thank you for your concern xx

Oh well, I have received a notification that my message s too short, are they taking the piss????

I have been here in WA for about 15 years. Yeah sure it is great if you want to drive to the local supermarket with no hassle. BUT there are so many disadvantages.

No 1 Australia is full of very ignorant people (otherwise known as bogans)

No 2 The weather is certainly better than in the UK, but that takes away from our excitement of going somewhere warm for 2 weeks p a.

No 3 Everyone here try's to outdo others with their disgusting Mac Mansions, which are totally tasteless.

No $ Once your house is about 30 years old, everybody will give u grief unless u knock it down and build a new one. Sooo environmentally unfriendly!

No 6 As I was told when I came over, there are more sharks on the land than in the sea.

No 7 Don't forget for 1 minute to underestimate the sadness (on both sides) of leaving your family.

No 8 This place is not and will never be home.

No 9 If you choose to take this path, like I did.....Think about what you are leaving behind. IE your heritage, your family and the love and support that you can give to them and also remember that if one or two of your children marries/partners with an Aussie you are stuck!

No 10 Don't always convince yourselves that you can go back, because it is not always that easy.

And on a final note, if you love shopping malls and hate independent retailers, you may think this is great. But I for one have no interest in Big Brother Business and it has got seriously expensive to live here. I do believe it will get worse.

Basically this is not a great place to live ad until my dying day I truly regret coming here.

I think I would have been better off in Southern Ireland (I am not Irish by the way) where people are lovely and intelligent.

Tread your own path, but think of the long term repercussions.

I seem to have missed out on no 5, but never mind I am sure most of you will get the gist lol.

Sorry to here your not happy and I have not read all the posts so please forgive me if someone has already commented .Regarding southern Ireland I lived there for ten years as a brit and encountered a bit of hostility.Things are changing very quickly but there is still a lot of people there who will be suspicious of you and others who would be outright rude .In general I found people there are great but just be prepared for remarks about your nationality mainly banter .I had a good 10 years there but the weather does wear you dowwwn hope you find happiness and as they say in Ireland GOOD LUCK

• 1 month later...
Sorry to here your not happy and I have not read all the posts so please forgive me if someone has already commented .Regarding southern Ireland I lived there for ten years as a brit and encountered a bit of hostility.Things are changing very quickly but there is still a lot of people there who will be suspicious of you and others who would be outright rude .In general I found people there are great but just be prepared for remarks about your nationality mainly banter .I had a good 10 years there but the weather does wear you dowwwn hope you find happiness and as they say in Ireland GOOD LUCK

Hello again,

I have just spent 5 weeks on holiday in the UK with my daughter and 2 young grandchildren, who live here. It is the first time she has been back for 6 years and I have to say it was a bittersweet experience. My younger daughter went back 6 years ago and has a beautiful 18 month old.

She instantly felt at home and so happy to meet up with all her friends and our large family. But of course that brought out all the anger and resentment towards me as she says (quite fairly) that I pressured her to move to Australia and now she is in a relationship with an Australian, she is stuck. She is not living the life she envisaged.

I sort of half expected this reaction and she was unsure about going back for a holiday as she said she didn't want to have to deal with all these emotions, but dearly wanted to see her grandparents who are in their late 80's.

I myself instantly felt so happy to be back in England. What a bloody mess! Now I have been back here for 2 weeks and am absolutely loathing it.

We came from a beautiful village in Sussex and it has hardly changed in the 15 years we have been here. There are so many lovely independent shops and heaps of great places to visit.

Yesterday we drove through our nearest town here and even more ugly big buildings are being thrown up, but they will all be the same boring chain stores, no independent shops at all.

I am now getting very depressed, I am so over Australia it is not funny. Now I am semi retired I just don't know what on earth to do with myself. It has got so damn expensive here that we can't even afford to go out for a meal anymore.

Sorry for being a whinging Pom but I guess I just need to vent and I don't want to upset my husband as he has health problems and doesn't need my grief.

I now realise my idea of 6 months in Southern Ireland or France and six months here is a crazy idea as we would want to be near our other daughter.

Still THINKING though !!!

Hello again,

I have just spent 5 weeks on holiday in the UK with my daughter and 2 young grandchildren, who live here. It is the first time she has been back for 6 years and I have to say it was a bittersweet experience. My younger daughter went back 6 years ago and has a beautiful 18 month old.

She instantly felt at home and so happy to meet up with all her friends and our large family. But of course that brought out all the anger and resentment towards me as she says (quite fairly) that I pressured her to move to Australia and now she is in a relationship with an Australian, she is stuck. She is not living the life she envisaged.

I sort of half expected this reaction and she was unsure about going back for a holiday as she said she didn't want to have to deal with all these emotions, but dearly wanted to see her grandparents who are in their late 80's.

I myself instantly felt so happy to be back in England. What a bloody mess! Now I have been back here for 2 weeks and am absolutely loathing it.

We came from a beautiful village in Sussex and it has hardly changed in the 15 years we have been here. There are so many lovely independent shops and heaps of great places to visit.

Yesterday we drove through our nearest town here and even more ugly big buildings are being thrown up, but they will all be the same boring chain stores, no independent shops at all.

I am now getting very depressed, I am so over Australia it is not funny. Now I am semi retired I just don't know what on earth to do with myself. It has got so damn expensive here that we can't even afford to go out for a meal anymore.

Sorry for being a whinging Pom but I guess I just need to vent and I don't want to upset my husband as he has health problems and doesn't need my grief.

I now realise my idea of 6 months in Southern Ireland or France and six months here is a crazy idea as we would want to be near our other daughter.

Still THINKING though !!!

You have raised a very interesting topic "retirement" Aus is expencive - very expencive. When you are young, and busy with work and the kids, there always seems plenty of things to do, but once the kids grow up life changes. We are very close to retirement, due to a difficult financial time over the last few years we will have enough to pay off the mortgage and that is about all. Unless you are into fishing, or some form of water sport there is very little to do in Aus once you get to retirment age. Petrol costs a fortune especially as you have to drive so far to visit family or even a large shopping center. No country walks or wandering around the small country village shops or going for sunday lunch at the local put. Something those planning the move to Aus should consider. I would go back tomorrow if it were possible but its not an well we just have to face the fact retirement is going to be financially difficult and pretty boring.

You have raised a very interesting topic "retirement" Aus is expencive - very expencive. When you are young, and busy with work and the kids, there always seems plenty of things to do, but once the kids grow up life changes. We are very close to retirement, due to a difficult financial time over the last few years we will have enough to pay off the mortgage and that is about all. Unless you are into fishing, or some form of water sport there is very little to do in Aus once you get to retirment age. Petrol costs a fortune especially as you have to drive so far to visit family or even a large shopping center. No country walks or wandering around the small country village shops or going for sunday lunch at the local put. Something those planning the move to Aus should consider. I would go back tomorrow if it were possible but its not an well we just have to face the fact retirement is going to be financially difficult and pretty boring.

How long have you been here in Australia?

How I miss the lunches at the pub in England. You can still get a massive roast dinner for about 6-7 pounds. Yes and all the beautiful country footpaths and the open gardens and National Trust buildings, I could go on and on. But it just makes me more depressed. I am so sorry for your situation. Yes you are right, when you are younger it all seems like a great adventure, I think for us it was a mid life crisis lol. But things are very different here now and I have many elderly relatives who are lonely etc in England who I would love to visit and give them a hand. I know I could become a volunteer here, but that is not the same as helping your loved ones is it.

How long have you been here in Australia?

How I miss the lunches at the pub in England. You can still get a massive roast dinner for about 6-7 pounds. Yes and all the beautiful country footpaths and the open gardens and National Trust buildings, I could go on and on. But it just makes me more depressed. I am so sorry for your situation. Yes you are right, when you are younger it all seems like a great adventure, I think for us it was a mid life crisis lol. But things are very different here now and I have many elderly relatives who are lonely etc in England who I would love to visit and give them a hand. I know I could become a volunteer here, but that is not the same as helping your loved ones is it.

Been here 40 years. Was very happy in the beginning, life was full of work and kids, but now things have changes so much and you are right its the country walks the culture, just so many buildings going back hundreds of years, here once it is 50 years old they think of pulling it down. There is a heratage hotel in Melbourne just beautiful, what are they doing ? Sticking a massive glass accomadation tower on top of it LOL the most insane thing I have ever seen. The exchange rate is the other issue, even if we sold our home here in Aus once converted into Pounds we would be hard pushed to buy anything half decent especially in the south west. It just seems to have really hit us in the last 2 years or so that we are well and truly stuck here, and it is really hard to deal with.

Been here 40 years. Was very happy in the beginning, life was full of work and kids, but now things have changes so much and you are right its the country walks the culture, just so many buildings going back hundreds of years, here once it is 50 years old they think of pulling it down. There is a heratage hotel in Melbourne just beautiful, what are they doing ? Sticking a massive glass accomadation tower on top of it LOL the most insane thing I have ever seen. The exchange rate is the other issue, even if we sold our home here in Aus once converted into Pounds we would be hard pushed to buy anything half decent especially in the south west. It just seems to have really hit us in the last 2 years or so that we are well and truly stuck here, and it is really hard to deal with.

I do feel for you, it is so sad. Yeah architecture hah! They don't know the meaning of the word. Here in Perth 30 years seems to be the time to knock your house down, how ridiculous. I am not buying into any of that nonsense. The exchange rate is really bad at the moment, but I guess it could get better? I have been dreaming and researching properties in France, you can pick up some serious bargains there. We were hoping to spend 6 months in Aus and 6 months in uk, but we would get buggered tax wise and don't think we could afford it. So thats why the French idea came up, but that is probably a silly idea as we still wouldn't be near our family and I couldn't bear to leave my daughter here either. If you could retire back to England how would you feel about leaving family here? Just interested in others perspectives really.

I do feel for you, it is so sad. Yeah architecture hah! They don't know the meaning of the word. Here in Perth 30 years seems to be the time to knock your house down, how ridiculous. I am not buying into any of that nonsense. The exchange rate is really bad at the moment, but I guess it could get better? I have been dreaming and researching properties in France, you can pick up some serious bargains there. We were hoping to spend 6 months in Aus and 6 months in uk, but we would get buggered tax wise and don't think we could afford it. So thats why the French idea came up, but that is probably a silly idea as we still wouldn't be near our family and I couldn't bear to leave my daughter here either. If you could retire back to England how would you feel about leaving family here? Just interested in others perspectives really.

Family ? well that is the reason we are not willing to just say - stuff it lets go home and leave it in the hands of the Almighty to look after us. We have a daughter and 2 grand kids who have been to hell and back in the family court, she is not even allowed to move suburbs, never mind interstate and O/S LOL well not even worth thinking about. The ex is spitful and vindictive and leaving her on her own is just not something we could do. The other kids are fine, good jobs, nice homes, I think they would be OK but we would still miss them.

Have heard homes in France are quite reasonable - but its not England, Europe is great for a holiday but England well thats home isnt it.