I would love to move back to the UK, but it is so hard.

Lostlily

It is more complicated than that. You see, I have a grown up daughter here who has now married an Aussie and has children. Both of my daughters were pressured (unfairly) by us to move out here, one of them went back to the UK due to a marriage break up and her new partner would NEVER consider leaving his family as they are very close. They now have a child too. But even if I did persuade my husband to go back, my daughter here would feel totally betrayed, I know that for fact.

We are now semi retired and have our income from investment properties and some in a SMSF. I wouldn't like anyone to think that I am putting money first, but our income from our SMSF is tax free, this would not be the case if we were in the UK. Also we would lose so much tax relief on our investment properties that we just couldn't afford to make it work and the final point, which some may see as totally trivial is that there are no death duties here, but if we were in the UK our worldwide assets would be subject to death duties.

That to me is not the most important thing, money is not my main interest, but breaking peoples hearts is.

You.ve lost me there. It certainly sounds you are putting money before personal happiness. Surely with the selling of investment property/ies you could set yourself up well in UK? Living in semi retirement for that reason doesn't make much sense.

A couple of years of a return to full time work would surely nail the deal?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will never be any literature out lining the high rate of marital separation among migrants in Australia. Remember only positives allowed in the spin around immigration. It is big business and those that go to and fro just add to that.

Sadly I completely agree with you!

You.ve lost me there. It certainly sounds you are putting money before personal happiness. Surely with the selling of investment property/ies you could set yourself up well in UK? Living in semi retirement for that reason doesn't make much sense.

I see your confusion, but someone asked me to explain the tax implications and that is all I was doing. As I said, money is not the problem here, just a fact. The problem I have is breaking my daughters heart.

I guess the UK licence may be technically invalid if it doesn't have your current UK residence on it. Migrants are not going to have a valid UK address or be normally resident in the UK, this is may be why you struggled to get insurance.

Can you not just go as named drivers on their insurance? You can do this on an Aus licence and then just pay any thing if it comes up, and pay the insurance bill for the duration of borrowing the car. Or look in to an international licence perhaps?

Well we tried that and were told they would not accept named drivers on the insurance unless we were UK residents aaaarrrhhhh drove us mad!

Guest Guest 47403
If your so bored by what you term why put yourself through the grief of reading threads on those returning to UK? Perth being so great in your book thought you'd have other diversions than reading those not in accord with that.

Never have I said anywhere that Perth is so great don't make things up, just intrigued by the lack of action compared to the amount of whinging, look at yourself almost 3 years of whinging and still there.....................can't be all that bad can it now :wink:

I see your confusion, but someone asked me to explain the tax implications and that is all I was doing. As I said, money is not the problem here, just a fact. The problem I have is breaking my daughters heart.

Completely your business. Just like to add be careful not to break your heart in the process. Your daughter is surely young enough to manage and visit etc. We must put ourselves and OH first sometimes for our own sanity and long term health.

Oh Heck,

This is all becoming confused. OK let me say I am semi retired, not by choice, but because I suffer and have done for 30 years from severe anxiety attacks and they got so bad that I had to let my business go as I physically couldn't drive there.

My husband and I do have a small business but we would love to get rid of it, but that is not easy. I do welcome everyones thoughts and encouragement, but the only way we could work out any sort of solution that would make us all at ease was to try to spend 6 months here and 6 months in the UK.

But as I said, there were so many difficult tax implications that we simply could not afford to do this. For example, if we sold our investment properties here we would have to pay huge CGT. At the moment we are just about managing, and the idea was to keep the properties here for our income. But you are taxed at the higher rate which is a lot higher in the uk so we wouldn't be able to afford to live. The death duty thing is irrelevant as when you are dead you are dead and I am not expecting anything from my parents, just a point I wanted to make

I guess.

So I think I was trying to address the accusations (probably well founded lol) of being a whinging pom for the last 3 years and not doing anything positive to address it. We spoke to accountants in the UK, we spent many many weeks trying to make this work, we even almost bought a property in my UK daughters name but that fell through (long story).

It is not an option for me personally to sell up everything here and go back to the UK full time (even if we won the lottery) as I couldn't break my daughters heart and my husband would be very unhappy as well.

Surely it is better for one person to be unhappy and vent now and then than to break others hearts into the bargain.

I feel sorry that I opened up this conversation, not because of anything unpleasant anyone has said, but also because of all the lovely support I have had as well.

I know I started off on the wrong foot, but I was in a really bad space at the time and I am sorry for that.

Also I feel that I wanted to warn others to think very carefully.

But if anyone has any great ideas for 6 months here and 6 months there (knowing all the "resident and domicile rules" I would really welcome it.

You seem to be a lovely lot of people :)

Never have I said anywhere that Perth is so great don't make things up, just intrigued by the lack of action compared to the amount of whinging, look at yourself almost 3 years of whinging and still there.....................can't be all that bad can it now :wink:

Although I look at you and the continuous defence (whinging)at the first sign of dissent with regards to Perth or Australia in general and wonder at your reasoning. Strike a dormant cord perhaps?

Guest Guest 47403
Although I look at you and the continuous defence (whinging)at the first sign of dissent with regards to Perth or Australia in general and wonder at your reasoning. Strike a dormant cord perhaps?

Not the case at all no need to defend anything, again making things up. Nothing strikes a cord no cord to strike. Please dissent (whinge) all you want but perhaps take some action when the keyboard looks a bit worn or all the dissent (whinging) will be worthless.

Oh Heck,

This is all becoming confused. OK let me say I am semi retired, not by choice, but because I suffer and have done for 30 years from severe anxiety attacks and they got so bad that I had to let my business go as I physically couldn't drive there.

My husband and I do have a small business but we would love to get rid of it, but that is not easy. I do welcome everyones thoughts and encouragement, but the only way we could work out any sort of solution that would make us all at ease was to try to spend 6 months here and 6 months in the UK.

But as I said, there were so many difficult tax implications that we simply could not afford to do this. For example, if we sold our investment properties here we would have to pay huge CGT. At the moment we are just about managing, and the idea was to keep the properties here for our income. But you are taxed at the higher rate which is a lot higher in the uk so we wouldn't be able to afford to live. The death duty thing is irrelevant as when you are dead you are dead and I am not expecting anything from my parents, just a point I wanted to make

I guess.

So I think I was trying to address the accusations (probably well founded lol) of being a whinging pom for the last 3 years and not doing anything positive to address it. We spoke to accountants in the UK, we spent many many weeks trying to make this work, we even almost bought a property in my UK daughters name but that fell through (long story).

It is not an option for me personally to sell up everything here and go back to the UK full time (even if we won the lottery) as I couldn't break my daughters heart and my husband would be very unhappy as well.

Surely it is better for one person to be unhappy and vent now and then than to break others hearts into the bargain.

I feel sorry that I opened up this conversation, not because of anything unpleasant anyone has said, but also because of all the lovely support I have had as well.

I know I started off on the wrong foot, but I was in a really bad space at the time and I am sorry for that.

Also I feel that I wanted to warn others to think very carefully.

But if anyone has any great ideas for 6 months here and 6 months there (knowing all the "resident and domicile rules" I would really welcome it.

You seem to be a lovely lot of people :)

I see your situation is far from straight forward. Living outside Australia while renting out property is costly as 25% tax rate must be paid on all earnings for absent residents. We are looking at a similar scenario at least for starters in living six months here and the remainder abroad. (not UK though)

I'd say a compromise of sorts far better than one suffering for the sake of others. We all deserve a quality of life where we can find a sense of enjoyment from. The six in and six out sound good. Nothing wrong with venting many find the need to do so. What better way to do so than on a forum to strangers, but hopefully with a degree of empathy for what you are going through. Best of luck with what ever you decide.

Not the case at all no need to defend anything, again making things up. Nothing strikes a cord no cord to strike. Please dissent (whinge) all you want but perhaps take some action when the keyboard looks a bit worn or all the dissent (whinging) will be worthless.

I think whinge should be your user name. It seems to be the word you use with such frequency. Instead of the repetitive overuse of your favourite word perhaps some constructive advice may be of greater help as well as making you feel better about yourself.

Guest Guest 47403
I think whinge should be your user name. It seems to be the word you use with such frequency. Instead of the repetitive overuse of your favourite word perhaps some constructive advice may be of greater help as well as making you feel better about yourself.

Now now flag lets not get into personal insults that'll get us nowhere. I'll leave you to have a whinge in peace if you're getting that riled with it all. Enjoy.

Oh well, I have received a notification that my message s too short, are they taking the piss????

I have been here in WA for about 15 years. Yeah sure it is great if you want....................................................................

A great statement and a truly personalised opinion which is very,very true..and over 10 pages of comments .!!!!....................................thanks for a great great thread, wish you all the best of British....!! - See more at: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/210670-i-would-love-move-back-uk-but-so-hard-12.html#sthash.bAjHy5zb.dpuf

I have both an Australian and UK license and have not had trouble keeping both or getting insurance either here in the UK or Australia.

Did one or other of them actually know you were not resident? Sometimes you find insurance companies find a problem when it comes to paying a claim time...

Quite an interesting point as we fancy dung the six months on six months off one day.

Did one or other of them actually know you were not resident? Sometimes you find insurance companies find a problem when it comes to paying a claim time...

Quite an interesting point as we fancy dung the six months on six months off one day.

Just cover your back, we were offered several friends cars but when it came down to the nitty gritty, not only were we not insured if we wrecked their cars, we would also not be insured if we killed or dangerously injured someone.......Just not worth the risk.

Completely your business. Just like to add be careful not to break your heart in the process. Your daughter is surely young enough to manage and visit etc. We must put ourselves and OH first sometimes for our own sanity and long term health.

This is not so simple, because my OH loves it here as well. What the hell am I to do, put my own needs first and upset my daughter here and my OH??? That would not make me happy either. This is just a typical example of the long term prospects of making what seems to be a great decision, back firing on you.

Oh well, I have received a notification that my message s too short, are they taking the piss????

I have been here in WA for about 15 years. Yeah sure it is great if you want to drive to the local supermarket with no hassle. BUT there are so many disadvantages.

No 1 Australia is full of very ignorant people (otherwise known as bogans)

No 2 The weather is certainly better than in the UK, but that takes away from our excitement of going somewhere warm for 2 weeks p a.

No 3 Everyone here try's to outdo others with their disgusting Mac Mansions, which are totally tasteless.

No $ Once your house is about 30 years old, everybody will give u grief unless u knock it down and build a new one. Sooo environmentally unfriendly!

No 6 As I was told when I came over, there are more sharks on the land than in the sea.

No 7 Don't forget for 1 minute to underestimate the sadness (on both sides) of leaving your family.

No 8 This place is not and will never be home.

No 9 If you choose to take this path, like I did.....Think about what you are leaving behind. IE your heritage, your family and the love and support that you can give to them and also remember that if one or two of your children marries/partners with an Aussie you are stuck!

No 10 Don't always convince yourselves that you can go back, because it is not always that easy.

And on a final note, if you love shopping malls and hate independent retailers, you may think this is great. But I for one have no interest in Big Brother Business and it has got seriously expensive to live here. I do believe it will get worse.

Basically this is not a great place to live ad until my dying day I truly regret coming here.

I think I would have been better off in Southern Ireland (I am not Irish by the way) where people are lovely and intelligent.

Tread your own path, but think of the long term repercussions.

I seem to have missed out on no 5, but never mind I am sure most of you will get the gist lol.

We're close to heading off to start a new life in WA in a matter of weeks, and whilst that therefore means that I don't have the first idea what you're experiencing yet, from the outside (but being someone who has visited and has relatives in WA) the majority of the items on your list seem quite trivial. Apart from the obvious issues regarding family etc, I wonder if you would find similar things in the UK equally irksome if you moved back? After all, you found yourself able to leave the place behind 15 years ago, so how did you feel about the UK when you left back then? Whatever you decide to do I hope it makes you more happy than you are now, whether that's to bite the bullet and make the move, or to attempt to acknowledge the positives that WA has to offer you. Good Luck!

Well we tried that and were told they would not accept named drivers on the insurance unless we were UK residents aaaarrrhhhh drove us mad!

That must be down to the particular insurance company then. My MIL used to go in our insurance very time she came over for her annual holiday visit. Only cost £26 per month fully comp.

This is not so simple, because my OH loves it here as well. What the hell am I to do, put my own needs first and upset my daughter here and my OH??? That would not make me happy either. This is just a typical example of the long term prospects of making what seems to be a great decision, back firing on you.

Would your Oh be miserable back in the UK? If he would be happy there or is happy to give it a go it's a positive. If he hates it, hard to see him considering a move but if he is open minded, why not try it.

Would your Oh be miserable back in the UK? If he would be happy there or is happy to give it a go it's a positive. If he hates it, hard to see him considering a move but if he is open minded, why not try it.

He truly doesn't want to go back, he may have considered 6 months here and there for my sake, but we just couldn't seem to make it work :(

Lily, your selflessness is admirable, but I do think you need to start putting your needs into the picture here, because they just dont seem to feature at all. Here are my thoughts on the matters you have raised, in no particular order.

Firstly your daughters are adults and they can look after themselves and they both presumably have the option of dual passports now, which most people will consider to be a gift. The choices they make about using those dual passports are all down to them now.

Still not entirely sure I understand the tax situation, unless you mean you are mortgaged to the hilt on these properties and are offsetting interest expense against another form of income? Anyway you don't need to tell us, but perhaps talk to a financial advisor about options, maybe sell and release yourself of these mortgages. But yes, maybe there is a call to be made here. I mentioned that I was once unhappy overseas, we were on a tax free environment and earning a very high salary between us which fell by more than three quarters upon our return but we never looked back. You cannot put a price on happiness.

Death duties, well you are dead so they don't hurt you to be frank. Your estate will get the first, I don't know £700k is it? tax free and then duty taken from the rest at a %, surely most beneficiaries would be happy with this and would not expect you to live out your life in depression for their benefit? Note that IHT depends on domicile too, not residence, and it is pretty hard to change domicile, don't assume 15 years away is enough, if you do stay then take steps to ensure your domicile is changed.

Your own health issues are important too, depression is a real health issue. So your husband feels his health issue can be better addressed in Australia, but yours can only be addressed in UK by sound of it.

You sound like a beautiful person :) You have a very lucky wife!

Guest Finalproof
There will never be any literature out lining the high rate of marital separation among migrants in Australia. Remember only positives allowed in the spin around immigration. It is big business and those that go to and fro just add to that.

Got data please?