I would love to move back to the UK, but it is so hard.

Lostlily

Oh well, I have received a notification that my message s too short, are they taking the piss????

I have been here in WA for about 15 years. Yeah sure it is great if you want to drive to the local supermarket with no hassle. BUT there are so many disadvantages.

No 1 Australia is full of very ignorant people (otherwise known as bogans)

No 2 The weather is certainly better than in the UK, but that takes away from our excitement of going somewhere warm for 2 weeks p a.

No 3 Everyone here try's to outdo others with their disgusting Mac Mansions, which are totally tasteless.

No $ Once your house is about 30 years old, everybody will give u grief unless u knock it down and build a new one. Sooo environmentally unfriendly!

No 6 As I was told when I came over, there are more sharks on the land than in the sea.

No 7 Don't forget for 1 minute to underestimate the sadness (on both sides) of leaving your family.

No 8 This place is not and will never be home.

No 9 If you choose to take this path, like I did.....Think about what you are leaving behind. IE your heritage, your family and the love and support that you can give to them and also remember that if one or two of your children marries/partners with an Aussie you are stuck!

No 10 Don't always convince yourselves that you can go back, because it is not always that easy.

And on a final note, if you love shopping malls and hate independent retailers, you may think this is great. But I for one have no interest in Big Brother Business and it has got seriously expensive to live here. I do believe it will get worse.

Basically this is not a great place to live ad until my dying day I truly regret coming here.

I think I would have been better off in Southern Ireland (I am not Irish by the way) where people are lovely and intelligent.

Tread your own path, but think of the long term repercussions.

I seem to have missed out on no 5, but never mind I am sure most of you will get the gist lol.

Edited by Lostlily
Addition

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't and won't comment as I am not currently living in Australia. But I would say be very careful when saying things like, all Irish people are lovely, Australia is full of bogans. No country in the world is completely full of bad people or good people. Yes, some areas attract greater number of one or the other, but no country will be populated by 100% delightful, fragrant, lovely, intelligent, friendly but not too nosy, people...

//

Was considering whether to reply to this or not but obviously I decided to. Why are you not back or planning to be back in the UK? You sound very unhappy here. Your take on Perth is not mine - can't relate to your top ten count down but that's ok each to their own. But why oh why would you continue to live here if you are so unhappy?

Oh well, I have received a notification that my message s too short, are they taking the piss????

I have been here in WA for about 15 years. Yeah sure it is great if you want to drive to the local supermarket with no hassle. BUT there are so many disadvantages.

No 2 The weather is certainly better than in the UK, but that takes away from our excitement of going somewhere warm for 2 weeks p a.

No 3 Everyone here try's to outdo others with their disgusting Mac Mansions, which are totally tasteless.

No $ Once your house is about 30 years old, everybody will give u grief unless u knock it down and build a new one. Sooo environmentally unfriendly!

No 6 As I was told when I came over, there are more sharks on the land than in the sea.

No 7 Don't forget for 1 minute to underestimate the sadness (on both sides) of leaving your family.

No 9 If you choose to take this path, like I did.....Think about what you are leaving behind. IE your heritage, your family and the love and support that you can give to them and also remember that if one or two of your children marries/partners with an Aussie you are stuck!

No 10 Don't always convince yourselves that you can go back, because it is not always that easy.

And on a final note, if you love shopping malls and hate independent retailers, you may think this is great. But I for one have no interest in Big Brother Business and it has got seriously expensive to live here. I do believe it will get worse.

Basically this is not a great place to live ad until my dying day I truly regret coming here.

I think I would have been better off in Southern Ireland (I am not Irish by the way) where people are lovely and intelligent.

I seem to have missed out on no 5, but never mind I am sure most of you will get the gist lol.

Actually made me lol , I carnt make up me mind if you are taking the Mickey or not , bloody hell duck I would shoot meself now lol , I agree with a couple of things on ya list , not all but to stick it 15 yrs I would of been off duck lol it has made me giggle

Guest Guest 47403
Perhaps you would be better spent putting your energy into devising a plan to return to where you want to be. You have had 15 years to do this, save up or whatever else you think it takes.

I think Rupert's right.

Looking at your post history you've been whinging and whining for a few years now, time to start taking some actions I think!

You need to understand though what floats your boat won't float someone else's , I found wa great for little kids , and retirement nothing in between , my kids r older and I'm not ready retire , although beautiful to look at , but would of stayed put if work were more vibrant .

yeah, I didnt love it either when I first got here, but I wouldnt say it was Bogan Central, or full of McMansions when it is not, my house is definately over 30 years old and its not falling down yet!

Well I wouldn't stay here if it was not for me encouraging my kids to come over and seeing Australia as some sort of magic bulletin! But unfortunately for me one did partner up with an an Australian, although she wold still say we wished she hadn't come here. But she is trying to make the best of it. I feel so dreadfully guilty that I encouraged my two daughters to come here, one has gone back and I dearly miss her so much, but the other one is basically stuck here......all my fault!!!!

I think you need to be careful, a lot of the things could easily be said for the UK. Don't under estimate how much the UK has changed in 15 years.

Within every city there are choices to be made on where you work, the people you work with, the people you associate with, the places you shop, the prices you pay for things. Perhaps you haven't changed some of the poor choices you made when you moved there.

However, you do sound very distressed and whilst I disagree with the true extent of your statements (I believe life is what you make it wherever you live) I think you need to re-evaluate your current situation and make an urgent decision on how to change the life you are in.

Well I wouldn't stay here if it was not for me encouraging my kids to come over and seeing Australia as some sort of magic bulletin! But unfortunately for me one did partner up with an an Australian, although she wold still say we wished she hadn't come here. But she is trying to make the best of it. I feel so dreadfully guilty that I encouraged my two daughters to come here, one has gone back and I dearly miss her so much, but the other one is basically stuck here......all my fault!!!!

I can can relate to ya missing ya daughter , I have a son in uk , and a grandson I haven't met , but you do sound like you taking it out on wa , wa is not for everyone , but 15 yr , but it's not your fault nobody's the perfect parent , I do agree with a couple of ya points , but I see where you coming from either way you choose you going be missing a daughter . I'm giving it 12 more months by then I've done two half yr , if it's not blown me from up by then , I'll be calling it a day but we've had it rough for eighteen month is getting better by the day though , good luck only you can decide , by the way I agree with more sharks on the mainland than the sea , people do tend to bite ya head off in wa lol:biggrin: Not all though some r very nice :biggrin:

No 1 Australia is full of very ignorant people (otherwise known as bogans) As the UK has it's fair share of "chavs" and ignorant people

No 2 The weather is certainly better than in the UK, but that takes away from our excitement of going somewhere warm for 2 weeks p a. Perhaps then a holiday somewhere colder then if you want a change

No 3 Everyone here try's to outdo others with their disgusting Mac Mansions, which are totally tasteless. I find it very hard to believe that EVERY SINGLE house is a Mac-mansion

No $ Once your house is about 30 years old, everybody will give u grief unless u knock it down and build a new one. Sooo environmentally unfriendly! I have seen many many houses for sale both within and without the city area that are advertised as being built in the early 1900s.

No 6 As I was told when I came over, there are more sharks on the land than in the sea. Plenty of those in the UK and Europe too

Numbers 7, 8, 9 and 10 are very personal to each individual so therefore I would not presume to know your feelings better than you but I do feel that you need to think carefully about strategies that you can put in to place to help you return to the UK since you are so obviously unhappy in Australia. Whether or not your children are married to Australians is not something that should enter in to the equation because they will live their lives as you have lived yours.

I'm so sorry that you will so depressed but I think you need to be careful about wearing rose coloured glasses when viewing the UK (or any other country for that matter).

Actually i am living in a very nice suburb. But sadly it doesn't take away my sadness that one daughter has gone back t the UK because of a broken relationship and the other one has stayed here with an Aussie (who is a decent person) but she still resents the pressure put on her when she was young to come out here, because she has now lost her sister, who has gone back and a of the extended family. I am not here to have a poke at anyone, just perhaps to make you think a little ahead of the consequences of your choices.Not just in the short term, but maybe in the long term????

Was considering whether to reply to this or not but obviously I decided to. Why are you not back or planning to be back in the UK? You sound very unhappy here. Your take on Perth is not mine - can't relate to your top ten count down but that's ok each to their own. But why oh why would you continue to live here if you are so unhappy?

I think Disadvantage No 9 will give you a clue, dxboz. I know how this feels. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, for sure. All good wishes, Lostlily. I do empathise, I really do. My daughter (we came out here when she was 13) also married an Aussie (he's a lovely chap) who's not interested in living in the UK; neither do her two children (daughter, age 24; son, age 13), so she's 'stuck', too. She often says she's homesick for England, but she can't leave her kids, so what's a girl to do? I do understand, Lostlily. x

Edited by barbaitch

Actually i am living in a very nice suburb. But sadly it doesn't take away my sadness that one daughter has gone back t the UK because of a broken relationship and the other one has stayed here with an Aussie (who is a decent person) but she still resents the pressure put on her when she was young to come out here, because she has now lost her sister, who has gone back and a of the extended family. I am not here to have a poke at anyone, just perhaps to make you think a little ahead of the consequences of your choices.Not just in the short term, but maybe in the long term????

No no it won't take away ya sadness never will , but they have their own life to live also , I am going do me best hang on for citizenship though , you should have it if you've been here 15 yr , no harm going and coming back then if you have that under ya belt . Good luck whatever you do decide .

Actually I am living in a really nice suburb, but that doesn't protect me from ignorant bogan attitudes!!

Whilst sympathising with you I must point out that the UK equivalent to bogans are chavs and there are plenty of those around. Barely articulate youths who cannot string a sentence together without ffing being used at least once, who have not the faintest idea what a bin is used for and chuck their empty drink cans and bottles, half eaten kebabs, cig give packs etc in your garden or on the road as they go and these are the least unsavoury. Gang culture very strong too and we are not in a bad area either.

Cant be doing with these sweeping generalisation posts about the uk or aus,i think they're ridiculous tbh

Like many of us, it looks like your family is fractured and likely to stay that way. But please don't beat yourself up for the decision you made back then - you made the best decision you could based on the information you had at the time. Hindsight is perfect vision but none of us has that luxury to cast into the future unfortunately. You've done nothing wrong! Who knows, had you not moved to Aus one of your kids might have met and married a Canadian and made the move themselves to live in the wilds of Saskatchewan. It sucks to have kids/grand kids on the other side of the world from you but you do get on with it!

So here you are - I can relate to the feelings (sweeping generalisations quite probably) but daresay that no-one really gets what it's like to feel trapped - even paradise can be hell if it's where you don't want to be and rational thinking sometimes goes out the window depending on what has crossed your path today! I know those who still have freedom to come and go will look down their disparaging noses and say "bugger off then" but there are all sorts of ties that bind you and the sacrifice of relationships/finances/etc is often just too difficult to contemplate. Many of us live with the "least worst" option and it can be incredibly wearing so vent away (you may find more acceptance in the private forum btw).

Meanwhile, plan, plan, plan - look at ways your needs can be met = long holidays, longer term plan to return, whatever. Also consider talking to your GP - exogenous depression is a very real beast but there are strategies to help you through every day. It could be worse - you could be living in Bourke (or back thereof)

The long term consequences of migration can be devastating to some. When you first move with a young family the thought of that family becoming fragmented in years to come just does not enter your head (be warned future migrants!) but it's the reality and one of the massive setbacks of moving the other side of the world. I'm lucky enough to be moving back with my 2 teenagers though now they have the option of living in either Australia or England, who's to say they won't move far away from me in the future and I know that if that happens I will be devastated. So if I put myself in your position Lostlily then I know exactly where you're coming from.

When you're unhappy with your situation you get angry at what's around you so the original post should be taken with tongue in cheek and maybe a bit of humour too. Lots of people wanting to migrate to Australia could probably think up a checklist of reasons as to why England's so lousy, but I expect then you'll have more people agreeing than disagreeing!

Sounds to to me as if you need to go back to live in the UK, even if only for a short while just to see where it is you really want to be.

Interesting reading the op post as I have just been reading the Daily Mail and there is a test for depression on it. I actually took it and I am mildly depressed, not surprised though as I take meds for it. However the test is a very upbeat test compared to the op's original post.

Sometimes we have to look at ourselves when we have so many dislikes against likes and decide is this really true.

I would say most of the comments are generalisations from discontent.

However if you want to go home go, we have to do what we have to do and as one of the psyches I have seen over the years told me, "consider what you want not what the family or friends want".