Jump to content
Cerberus1

Ravenswood - old mining town

    Recommended Posts

    As part of our truncated roadtrip, we visited Ravenswood again. Ravenswood is an old mining town located around 50km East and 40km South of Charters Towers.

    We visited in the hope that it would be possible to view the old mine sites and township of Totley, unfortunately though, it turns out that area is on an active mining lease and the signs makes it very clear that the area is off limits.

    Therefore, we had to content ourselves with revisiting some of the other sites around Ravenswood.

    Ravenswood became established in the 1860's when gold was discovered. The town peaked in 1871 before beginning a gradual decline. In 1872, there was a great exodus to the new Golf field of Charters Towers, followed by a smaller exodus to the Palmer gold-fields in 1873. By 1915 there were only 2 remaining mines and by 1917, these had closed. Many of the towns men had enlisted for WWI and the railway to the town was removed in 1930 leading to further rapid decline. Over the years, most of the towns houses were moved for re-establishment in places such as Townsville and Burdekin.

    Of the buildings that do remian, most are in very good condition and the whole town is listed by the National Trust of Queensland.

    Below are some photos of the town buildings and also of the nearby mining sites.

     

    School of Arts - The building dates from 1882 when it replaced an earlier School of Arts. The hall has since been used for dances, concerts, live
    theatre and as a cinema. Silent films were screened to the piano accompaniment of the Delaney sisters from the Imperial
    Hotel.

    Ravenswood-16a.jpg

     

    Imperial Hotel - Built in 1902. Proprietor Jim Delaney made his money as a member of the Donnybrook Mine syndicate.
    Delaney died soon after the building was completed and the hotel passed to his wife and subsequently to his daughters who continued to run the hotel until recently. 

    Ravenswood-37.jpg

    Ravenswood-17a.jpg

    Ravenswood-18.jpg

     

    Sunset No.2 Mine - The mine is an early component of the rich Sunset reef, which was the most productive on the Ravenswood field from 1876 to 1912. The boiler house was equipped with an unusual octagonal brick chimney - one of only three associated with early mining in north Queensland.

    Ravenswood-7.jpg

    Ravenswood-24.jpg

    Ravenswood-26.jpg

    Ravenswood-22.jpg

    Ravenswood-28.jpg

    Ravenswood-31.jpg

    Ravenswood-12.jpg

    Ravenswood-13.jpg

    Ravenswood-15.jpg

    Ravenswood-17.jpg

    Ravenswood-100.jpg

    Ravenswood-101.jpg

    Ravenswood-102.jpg

    Duke of Edinburgh Mine -  The Duke of Edinburgh Mine was developed early in the life of the Ravenswood Goldfield. It operated intermittently until 1908 when it was again re-opened as part of the New Ravenswood Company. The mine closed with the company’s collapse in 1917

    Ravenswood-103.jpg

    Ravenswood-104.jpg

    • Like 3

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Just adding a few more ravenswood photos.

    Ravenswood, circa 1909. The tall building on the left hand side of the street is the Imperial Hotel (see post above).

    town.jpg

     

    Ravenswood School Swimming Pool - Then & Now. The Head Teacher instucted the students to bring a brick to school every day. When he deemed there were enough bricks, the parents dug a big hole, lined it with the bricks and then cemented it.

    IMG_0614.JPG

    IMG_0615.JPG

     

    Browne's Hotel - Then & Now

    Brownes Hotel Ravenswood (1).jpg

    There's a little less of it now, just the steps to be specific.

    IMG_0630.JPG

     

    Post Office - 1906 & Now

    Ravenswood Post Office 1906.jpg

    IMG_6914.JPG

     

    Thorp's Buildings - Then & Now

    Thorp's Buildings circa 1903 (on the right hand side of the street). It housed businesses which supplied miners with everything from household goods to mining machinery and is the only two storey shop still standing in Ravenswood

    Macrossan street including Brownes Ravenswood Hotel and the Thorps Buildings.jpg

    IMG_0629.JPG

     

     

     

    • Like 2

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    • Similar Content

      • By Cerberus1
        Yesterday's trek took us to Maytown and the surrounding area in the Palmer River Goldfields.
        Maytown is located around 280km NW of Cairns, with the last 75km being off road 4wd track.
        Maytown was the 'capital' of the Palmer gold field in the late 1800's with a population of around 700 at it's peak.
        There were 12 hotels, 6 stores, 3 bakers, 3 tobaconists, 3 banks, a lemonade factory, butchers, chinese stores (the majority of the population were chinese), a saddler, chemist, post office, printers, newspaper, school, courthouse, hospital and police barracks.
        Today Maytown is a ghost town, with the last resident leaving in the 1950's. Like so many ghost towns, little remains due to buildings being relocated and reused and termites and bushfires destroying remaining buildings.
        There's still plenty of evidence of mining on the outskirts of town though and in town, the bakers oven is visible as are kerbsides, flagged shopfloors, the graveyard and stumps of buildings.
         
        Road to Maytown

         
        Queen Mill Mine

         
        Ida Mine

        Ida Mine as it was

         
        Mabel-Louise Battery


         
        Comet Mill


         
        Charcoal burners - Tea tree & iron bark were burned to produce charcoal for the mine's forges.

         
        Maytown - view down Leslie Street

         
        Maytown - remains of bakery ovens

         
        Relics of Maytown

         
        Camping on the riverbed of the mighty Palmer River

         
        Wildlife


    ×