Dollars = Pounds: what am I missing?

Marisawright

That was me that the OP was quoting, and having just got back from the UK a couple of days ago, I can assure you that what I saw was many things being the same in dollars as pounds. What reason would I have to lie about such things. So does this mean Moving to Tasmania is lying too, because she lives there and said more or less the same thing.

Stop believing that only your opinion counts, and everyone else is wrong.

I'm not lying, honestly. However, it does depend on quality and where you go. Personally, for me, for big purchases such as sofas and beds etc., I believe in buying quality as it lasts and it is expensive over here. I was so excited when I saw deals online in Australia that are so cheap!

Edited by snifter

Furniture is a lot cheaper in the UK, especially beds. We need a new bed here and I almost had a heart attack when I saw the price of beds amd mattresses in Harvey Norman.

We went back last year to the Uk and even Waitrose seemed really cheap!

I bought a gorgeous bed only 5 years ago. It's a kingsize one and the frame cost me £599 and the mattress, an orthopaedic one as I'm getting on a bit lol, cost me £799. The bed frame was on sale at the time.

Ours is 80 years old and not so well insulated but we tend to feel uncomfortable much below 20C. My OH is worse than me but I am feeling the cold more as I get older. I see people in t-shirts and shorts when it is under 15C and shudder but then console myself that they are probably better adapted to life in the UK than are we.

I see that all the time and I must admit, I do wear many layers of clothing and a big thick coat. We went yesterday and the car thermometer said it was 20 degrees (I think it was lying though) and I felt cold. The house doesn't seem to be cold but then it heats quickly even when doing something like cooking because it's so well insulated. I can't stand people that run about in shorts when the temps get in to double figures - makes me feel cold!!

Prices are very subjective. For a couple of years ago my wife was given some money and decided a new sofa was the order of the day. One 3 seater and one chair was $7000. At the same time, a two second web search give this

http://www.worldstores.co.uk/c/Sofas.htm

http://www.furniturevillage.co.uk/Living-Room/Sofas/Leather-Sofas.aspx

I was in the UK about 18 months ago, a very high quality B&B charged me 59 pounds with a great breakfast thrown in. I pay more for a average cafe lunch in Perth than i would pay for lunch at Hestons place.

It doesnt mean anyone is lying, just what we see and experience will vary.

Prices are very subjective. For a couple of years ago my wife was given some money and decided a new sofa was the order of the day. One 3 seater and one chair was $7000. At the same time, a two second web search give this

I was in the UK about 18 months ago, a very high quality B&B charged me 59 pounds with a great breakfast thrown in. I pay more for a average cafe lunch in Perth than i would pay for lunch at Hestons place.

You are so right, it is subjective. However, I personally wouldn't buy a suite from Furniture Village as the quality isn't that good and the seats tend to "give" after a year or two. I have never heard of World Stores.....

Do you mean Heston Blumenthal's restaurant in Marlow where the set menu (no wine) is £195 per person?

I loved the comment about liking the weather in Oz and so they went to Bristol haha

Pension:

Just get it paid in to your ozzy account and transfer it, same if you were British, why bother telling anyone you have moved or whatever.

I wouldn't want to retire in either country, both are similar systems and not great for a pensioner

Actually the weather is the one thing I've never liked about Australia, it's too hot for me, and my husband is now paranoid about being out in the sun as he had a bad skin cancer scare. So I'm going back to the UK for the cooler weather and lower UV index but I'm not stupid - I don't want to go back to freezing Scotland!

The problem with your idea is that if the Tax Office finds out, we'd be up for big fines as well as backpaying all that tax. And I'd say there's a good chance they would find out, as we'd have to give our Australian banks our new British address, and they have rules about reporting foreign accounts, and if money is constantly flowing overseas I suspect somebody would notice. Then we'd really be screwed.

I'm assuming you're suggesting settling somewhere in Europe instead - we can't, because my husband doesn't have an EU passport.

You can certainly live relatively cheaply in the UK if you stay away from the south east or other hotspots. I saw that you were looking at saving on UK/EUR holidays but factor in that you may well want to escape the winter each year and get some sun and that can be costly. To get anywhere really warm it is long haul. Even the Canary Islands in winter is only mid teens C.

Actually it's the sun we want to get away from! My husband had a bad skin cancer scare and it's left him paranoid about going out in the sun (and yes I know he's being silly, but you try talking him out of it...). I don't like the heat much either. Last time we were back in the UK visiting my sister in Tunbridge Wells, we both went out for a marvellous walk round the town. My sister thought we were mad because it was raining, but we had a lovely time rugged up in our anoraks, gloves and scarves.

I know the novelty of the cold will wear off and we'll be sitting inside grumbling - but in Australia I spend October to April sitting inside grumbling because it's too hot to do anything outside. And somehow, it feels uncomfortable sitting inside when the sun is shining - all my British upbringing tells me I should be outside enjoying the "lovely day", never mind if I'd be a sweaty puddle within ten minutes. Whereas in a cold climate, sitting inside in front of a roaring fire just makes sense.

I've never understood poms saying oz is so expensive even though you don't here as much now. I just purchased a sharp 60 inch 3d tv with everything and got a Lg 3d blu ray player chucked in for $1350. The same tv is advertised for $1700 in jbhifi , $2800 on sharps website. I went in with cash and said I'll give you $1350 cash and I got the deal. Try getting that in the uk . You would pay that nearly in pounds. Likewise with beds . I got a stylish king size bed for $700. Was advertised at 950 originally. I shop cheaper here too for groceries than I did in the uk. Aussies no where to go and to bargin . I find computers cheaper and most electrical equipment here. Apple products cheaper , tools cheaper and I could go on. I arrived in the uk not knowing much and got ripped off. You just have to learn where to buy this includes food as well. It can be cheap and don't be scared to take advantage of Asia's cheap prices. I get my photography gear sent from Hong Kong and it's very cheap.

It is swings and roundabouts between the two countries depending how fussy u are , I'm fussy lol , but for goodies here which I had a cupboard full in uk from poundland walkers crisps , penguins , walnut whips my fav I paid 15.50 at Xmas for 3 walnut whips here , so only buy em once a year , u miss the most stupidest of things but in comparison my cupboards were a lot fuller in the uk , although we don't go short of anything here but I shop about in uk and here , I go Iga , Coles , woollies , soapowder only buy Omo here 30 dollars in Coles , went Iga on offer for twenty buy the offered , toilet rolls I buy the offers when they on buy ten packs they last till the offer comes on again , comfort if I see it for 3 dollars I'll buy 30 bottles I'm not paying 7 dollars a bottle smallish bottle at that aswel , in uk big box of bold two in one comes on offer 4 quid or 5 quid I buy 20 I wud buy twenty boxes lol , get me goodies from pound land get me cleaning products from wilkinsons a quid for a bottle of bleach here domestos. 5.50 but quality stuff like a decent 3 piece suite u will pay for but u can get cheaper depends wat u want same in oz a decent quality leather suite will cost ya just same , but I shop about did in uk too I get a buzz out of it lol x depends what u want eating out here is expensive to uk a curry for two here with a drink was 93 bucks in wa same thing in uk 30 quid every Friday I was a right curry muncher in uk :):)

Had this for 10 years...............a 7 seater leather bought from superamart (considered generally to be crap) for $1800. Just sold it for $800! IOW, if my maths are correct it stands me at 2 bucks a week..........so much for furniture being expensive and crap here.

201107871322pio24161122

Had this for 10 years...............a 7 seater leather bought from superamart (considered generally to be crap) for $1800. Just sold it for $800!

Then factor in the bonus of not having to manhandle it out of the house yourself. You're quids in.

But to be fair, the surprising thing is the second hand (perceived) value of things. Cars are an obvious example. I lose track of much stuff is advertised on Gumtree for about 80% of it's new purchase price.

Then factor in the bonus of not having to manhandle it out of the house yourself. You're quids in.

But to be fair, the surprising thing is the second hand (perceived) value of things. Cars are an obvious example. I lose track of much stuff is advertised on Gumtree for about 80% of it's new purchase price.

I agree. Even the thrift shops are sometimes selling at near to new prices. Some used stuff on gumtree is ridiculously priced but seems to sell. OTOH, I see some furniture offered for free just so the owner can get it shifted. It's a shame in the latter case 'cause they only have to ring Lifeline and they will collect

Clothes shopping in Oz is pretty bad, fashion is a few years behind Europe and the states and quality is rubbish compared the the quality of the item you would get in the UK for the same price.

you may get levis in the UK but the same in Oz is just jeans for the price. Another thing is that trousers only come in standard sizes (not much variety of length with a size in waste) so you always pay more to get them taken up if you need that.

Clothes shopping in Oz is pretty bad, fashion is a few years behind Europe and the states and quality is rubbish compared the the quality of the item you would get in the UK for the same price.

you may get levis in the UK but the same in Oz is just jeans for the price. Another thing is that trousers only come in standard sizes (not much variety of length with a size in waste) so you always pay more to get them taken up if you need that.

Yeah quality is crap here clothes and deffo behind , for decent boxer shorts 18 dollars a pair when you have a house full of boys that's expensive :) but they moan their backside off if I don't get em bonds cost me the other week 270 dollars for 15 pairs of boxers that's 5 pairs each that's roughly 135 quid like anything depend what u want quality wise ect...