Why do people leave Oz

jasepom

Yeh well deffo more to see & less distance to travel to see it back in Europe. Housing is bigger here...back in England lots of folk trying to cram on often ugly extensions where as they are built bigger in the first place here :smile:

Well I'd blame the builder for the crap extension not the country

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The length of this thread in such a short time proves how much passion there is on this issue....it's not easy giving up your home land and hats off to all that's brave enough take a chance on it.

Easy enough to leave. Harder perhaps to admit it was a mistake and don't care for the replacement country, going by the tone of some on the thread.

I agree with the comments about ugly extensions. Seen friends in Harrogate extend their semidetached house and It looks a complete eyesore. You can knock the build quality of Aussie McMansions but they are built with some aesthetics.

Freezing cold here in Melbourne today and it reminds me of a UK Summer. Off up to Queensland to escape the weather in a couple of weeks and I am thinking maybe they go back to the UK to do the same in reverse i.e. escape the extreme Summer heat up North? Interesting to track what time of year people leave.

It probably doesn't help that I'm not a camper - and also I think it's different going as a kid than as an adult. No doubt you spent most of your time playing, rather than walking along enjoying the scenery.

Besides, have you been going back to those places every year since? I've been in Sydney for over thirty years . . .

No, we moved to the west coast via the UK.

We spent a lot of the time fishing and stuff. It's not so much a sight seeing place, but there are some beautiful sights to see.

But I do think you run out of places after a while. We have been in Sussex ten years, and we ran out of new places within an hours drive ages ago.

We spent a lot of the time fishing and stuff. It's not so much a sight seeing place, but there are some beautiful sights to see.

But I do think you run out of places after a while. We have been in Sussex ten years, and we ran out of new places within an hours drive ages ago.

Try 2 hours...?

We all have different reasons. Expect the main one is family, you never realise how important they are until they are not there anymore. Also maybe a small proportion of us are sentimental, patriotic and just miss the place - that's me.

As for money, I'm no better off here than back there but some of us are more materialistic than others I suppose.

What floats one person's boat sinks another!

Is Boris thinking of lodging his visa application then?!

If only Boris the Baffoon would leave the UK and take the Tory Party with him.The UK would be a much better place to live.

People say that. Maybe on the east coast, but I never went very far on the west coast. Too far to drive to get anywhere.

Yes, apart com Fremantle your 3/4 hours away from anything worth driving for.. And going up north is 10/12 hours plus in a car.. 2 hours doesn't seem so bad now....?

\

Yes, my experience exactly. Of course being Australia, we've exhausted everything within about three hours' drive!

How do you work that one out? Have you seen how big Australia is ? You're completely right of course there's nothing to see in Australia of interest.

You work it out by drawing a circle around your home, representing a two hour drive in every direction. Then write down all the interesting places you can visit within that radius.

Because the UK is more densely populated, you'll nearly always find more interesting places within that two hour drive than you would in Australia.

Remember, we are talking about things to do on ordinary weekends. If you've got heaps of money, then you can afford to go further afield and spend money on motels and air fares, but most of us can't do that every week.

Edited by Marisawright

I completely disagree. You can find lots of places within two hour drive of Melbourne. It's still Victoria doesn't mean you have to leave the state to find new things to do. You can go to the hills bush walk, see heritage buildings, animal sanctuaries, surf clubs, wineries. Go to water parks or visit a country town. Honestly, you're very narrow minded, just because it's not a different city doesn't mean it offers anything better in terms of things to do.

Melbourne is packed tight with things to do. It has a population of 4 million people with money to spend at weekends. That means there are tonnes of things to see and do in Victoria with that money. I have never run out of things to do here.

I completely disagree. You can find lots of places within two hour drive of Melbourne. It's still Victoria doesn't mean you have to leave the state to find new things to do. You can go to the hills bush walk, see heritage buildings, animal sanctuaries, surf clubs, wineries. Go to water parks or visit a country town. Honestly, you're very narrow minded, just because it's not a different city doesn't mean it offers anything better in terms of things to do.

I almost added "except Victoria" to my post, because Victoria is much more densely populated, so there are more alternatives there than in most other states. But be honest, would you visit any heritage building more than once? I don't surf or go to water parks. I used to live in a Victorian country town - except for Ballarat and Daylesford, once you've seen an Australian country town there's no reason to see it again. You wouldn't reach many country towns on a day trip anyway, unless you live on the edge of Melbourne.

Edited by Marisawright