Why do people leave Oz

jasepom

Don't understand seasons comment when much of Australia has four seasons

Not proper seasons...not here in QLD anyway...and before you get smart...yes we did know what the weather was like before we came, BUT what we didnt realise is that we would miss that.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Finalproof
Not proper seasons...not here in QLD anyway...and before you get smart...yes we did know what the weather was like before we came, BUT what we didnt realise is that we would miss that.

Insufficient research then

Guest Finalproof
Forget about the weather. This country is hardly the place it was a mere seven years ago. I would very seriously consider a move to these shores these days.

I agree, nicer now than seven years back

Forget about the weather. This country is hardly the place it was a mere seven years ago. I would very seriously consider a move to these shores these days.

I doubt anywhere in the world is the same as seven years ago. The whole world is changing faster and faster.

Insufficient research then

I think most people understand what the climate is like before they move to a chosen destination. Do people understand how their values and priorities could change over time? hardly. The climate in Brisbane for most of the year is IMHO great, with the winters sublime. Do I miss the UK seasons? absolutely - but when I moved over, I embraced the constant sunshine. Would proximity to friends and family, travel opportunities outweigh a better climate for me now? - Yes, but 7 years ago no. If our time in Oz helps us understand our own priorities more that's no bad thing.

To say you don't have travel opportunities in Australia is narrow minded. The whole country is there to explore. Plus other cultures in Asia. Not everyone wants to go around Europe. A lot of poms have already done that before they came here. We like Australia for it's diversity too not just its climate. Mountains, bush, beach, surf, desert, heritage too.

Guest Dave53

When we came to Australia 26 yrs ago , I said cheerio to my young at heart parents . For some reason I didn't think they would ever age , I know that's selfish . Now they are old and frail . My priorities have changed , and for anyone moving here now in that situation , your priorities will change too , despite what you may feel at this present time .. Believe me they will ..

Dave C

To say you don't have travel opportunities in Australia is narrow minded. The whole country is there to explore. Plus other cultures in Asia. Not everyone wants to go around Europe. A lot of poms have already done that before they came here. We like Australia for it's diversity too not just its climate. Mountains, bush, beach, surf, desert, heritage too.

It's not that easy. Remember we're talking about things to do on days off, not where to spend your holidays. To travel in Australia you need to get on a plane, and that's not something you can do every week. There's very little heritage to see, and it's all pretty much the same wherever you go. The bush is much the same everywhere too, and devoid of wildlife (because everything is either asleep or up the top of the trees), apart from the ticks, spiders, snakes, sandflies and mozzies. Yes the Snowies and Blue Mountains have some nice views, but otherwise they're either featureless plain or ordinary bush (see previous comment).

I should repeat, I have enjoyed living in Australia and I like many things about it. Having driven on countless roads and walked trails all the way from Adelaide to Mackay through SA, NSW and QLD, I can say that diversity is not one of them. I'm looking forward to going for a country walk back in the UK and enjoying the changing scenery and the chance to actually see a few birds as opposed to just hearing them. As someone who grew up in the UK before holidays in Benidorm became cheap, I haven't seen a lot of Europe and look forward to exploring it. That's what suits me at this point in my life - I'm not saying it would suit anyone else. Australia is neither better or worse than the UK, both have their good and bad points.

You should really stop speaking as if your speaking for everybody. Most here in Australia are in a better position than ever before .Kids have a lot better life growing up , and most of us life has continued to get better of the years. This comment you make often that life used to be easier here just isn't the case for Aussies. People are a lot better off now than when I grew up in the eighties and the life and lifestyle of most folk has improved a great deal. Trouble is now a lot of people have to much money and children are spoiled more than ever.I feel for you , cause being so bitter about everything Australian must really play on your mind and make your life here miserable. That's is how you come across. Your point of view on most things is very negative in regards to Australia and Australians and that's sad as you live here.

I respect your point of view. But the advantage of Australia is you don't have to get on a plane to see stuff. You can just drive. You get to explore small towns with their country pubs and it's just great.

Melbourne to Gold Coast

London to Cairo/Red Sea

Hmm have you considered the problem might be you? :laugh::wink:

LOL you would think so. But I am referring to incidents I am not involved with, i.e. between cars in front. or When the guy behind is trying to pass to catch up with someone they are having a tiff with.

Much of my childhood involved camping weekends around Sydney. We never ran out of places to visit, and its all very diverse. The west coast is a bit samy, but the east coast is magical. Plu, having just visited Devon, you have the joy of being able to drive somewhere, and park the car! A luxury not often possible in English seaside destinations.

It's not that easy. Remember we're talking about things to do on days off, not where to spend your holidays. To travel in Australia you need to get on a plane, and that's not something you can do every week. There's very little heritage to see, and it's all pretty much the same wherever you go. The bush is much the same everywhere too, and devoid of wildlife (because everything is either asleep or up the top of the trees), apart from the ticks, spiders, snakes, sandflies and mozzies. Yes the Snowies and Blue Mountains have some nice views, but otherwise they're either featureless plain or ordinary bush (see previous comment).

I should repeat, I have enjoyed living in Australia and I like many things about it. Having driven on countless roads and walked trails all the way from Adelaide to Mackay through SA, NSW and QLD, I can say that diversity is not one of them. I'm looking forward to going for a country walk back in the UK and enjoying the changing scenery and the chance to actually see a few birds as opposed to just hearing them. As someone who grew up in the UK before holidays in Benidorm became cheap, I haven't seen a lot of Europe and look forward to exploring it. That's what suits me at this point in my life - I'm not saying it would suit anyone else. Australia is neither better or worse than the UK, both have their good and bad points.