new migrants to Oz - to do list

vickyplum

hello all

just wondering what the main paperwork type things are, for a newly arrived pom in oz...

change UK drivers licence to international?

register with medicare?

start "voluntary" NI payments back to UK?

sort out private healthcare insurance?

there must be loads more - can anyone help to grow the list?

Thanks!!

you would need to look it up for exact details, but it's to do with paying enough years of NI to "qualify" for full state pension (30 or 35 years, not sure which). If you haven't paid in for the full number of years, then your UK state pension will be pro-rated according to the years you did pay.

I am not a financial expert but this is my basic understanding of it!

Try here for a better explanation: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ni/volcontr/toppingup.htm#1

you would need to look it up for exact details, but it's to do with paying enough years of NI to "qualify" for full state pension (30 or 35 years, not sure which). If you haven't paid in for the full number of years, then your UK state pension will be pro-rated according to the years you did pay.

do you mean you can get a state pension from the uk even if you live in australia? (I assumed I'd be giving up that entitlement if I left).

yes, if you have paid NI contributions for however many years. Take a look at the link above - it's fairly simply worded, considering it's tax/finance!

I might talk to a migration agent/financial advisor about it at some point, if I can work up the enthusiasm...

do you mean you can get a state pension from the uk even if you live in australia? (I assumed I'd be giving up that entitlement if I left).

Yes you can.

http://www.britishpensions.org.au/pension-guidelines.htm#No1

If you want to increase the amount, you can pay for extra years, too. Just bear in mind that if you're also eligible for the Australian pension, your British pension will be taken into account in the means test.

To get the full pension, you need to have contributed for 30 years but the minimum is 3 years to get the minimum.

Edited by Marisawright

You don't need an international licence. You can drive for 3 months (6 in Victoria) on your UK licence and within that period must change to a licence for the state you're living in - leave it any long than that and you'll be driving unlicensed.

I know absolutely nothing about paying voluntary NI payments but I'd say there's a pretty good chance that you would be better off making personal Australian superannuation contributions instead. Lower income tax is payable on super contributions but your NI contributions will come out of your after tax income. Given that any British pension will reduce the amount of Australian pension you'll get and that super is tax free if withdrawn after pension age, I think it would be worth investigating.

You'll need a Tax File Number and an Australian bank account.

Enrol with Medicare - I think I've read on PIO that you should leave it for a couple of weeks after you arrive - something to do with the files taking a while to be updated. If you need treatment before then, you can claim any benefit payable on it after you enrol.

You don't need an international licence. You can drive for 3 months (6 in Victoria) on your UK licence and within that period must change to a licence for the state you're living in - leave it any long than that and you'll be driving unlicensed.

If on a temporary visa (including 457), no need to change or get an international licence. You can drive on your UK licence

You can open an Aus bank account online before you leave the UK. We did. Easy enough from the UK side, had a guy in their London office handle all the stuff we needed doing, arranged to waive all the fees (lucky us eh) and then met with our account manager once we arrived in Aus. Had an appointment the day after we landed, got our bank cards, sorted out the savings account, other accounts and a few bits then we were away.

Tax file number I did online once I was here.

Medicare is probably the first thing. Need proof of ID (passport etc) and also copy of full visa grant letter including the heading and image with name of CO.

After Medicare I'd get an Aus DL licence sorted. Need 100 points of ID to get this so Medicare card, passport and bank card should be enough.

Some other things people do are Centrelink, private health and dental care. Private cover can be expensive so don't rush into it, shop around, read the small print and so on and be sure its right for you. Ambulance cover is probably a worthwhile thing to have even if you don't get other medical cover.

I'd research if paying NI is going to be worthwhile in the long term if you plan to remain in Aus.

I know a 309 is the temp partner visa but if the OP is able to change over to an Aus licence I'd say to do so. Its helpful, goes a ways toward the 100 point proof of ID which is often needed for other things.