ICT jobs in Brisbane from August

dejani

Hi.

I'm moving over to Brisbane in August this year and I'm looking for a job as ICT Project Manager.

I have 8 years of experience and good recommendations. So now I wonder how difficult it will be to find a job once I touch down.

I will have a work visa in place and can start working ASAP. What do you guys think?

Any idea please. Anyone in the similar situation or experience?

All information is valuable.

Thanks.

The market is horrible. My husband, with over 20 years in this field, has had to take contract work back in the UK as there is nothing here. Other friends here in Brisbane in the same field have had to take much lower paid work in Perth or Melbourne as the jobs dried up here unfortunately.

So your conclusion is that my chances are not so good right?

Because when I talk with some people that I know they have another opinion so that's why I'm asking this question on PIO.

The situation is not good and only short contracts are available , which is also over applied by 40 to 50 candidates having 15 to 20 yrs experience . This is my second time in Australia, I worked in Sydney from 2005 to 2009 and then moved to NZ and recently moved back to Brisbane , and the market conditions are worse. The month of May will set the standard for next 6 month and I am watching it closely.

Edited by shawankit

The situation is not good and only short contracts are available , which is also over applied by 40 to 50 candidates having 15 to 20 yrs experience . This is my second time in Australia, I worked in Sydney from 2005 to 2009 and then moved to NZ and recently moved back to Brisbane , and the market conditions are worse. The month of May will set the standard for next 6 month and I am watching it closely.

But would you say that it is impossible to find a ICT Project Manager position if I come to Brisbane in October or do I have a fair chance if I give 100% on finding a job?

But would you say that it is impossible to find a ICT Project Manager position if I come to Brisbane in October or do I have a fair chance if I give 100% on finding a job?

How can someone say if it's impossible that you'll get a job? And what would you do if they say "Yes, come over" and it turns out that you can't get a job. My advice would be to save up some cash to support yourself, then decide before hand how long you'll look without success before you try something else. You might find something straight away, which would be good. But at least you won't have dismissed the alternative plan should things not work out how you'd hoped.

I would not say it's impossible to get a job, I am suggesting that you prepare for the bad market with enough resources to stay and continue job hunting for 3 to 6 months and be flexible to move to other places for job and have a backup plan in case things do not work out. If possible take a long leave or sabbatical from your current job for 3 to 4 months , while you research Australia.

How can anybody possibly know whether you would find a job or not? It depends on so many factors, not least your résumé and how you come across in person. Just be aware that unemployment is over 6% and be prepared to support yourself for a while. What do you mean by "work visa" too?

He says he has a "work visa". - whatever that means. Not heard of a "work visa" before, it could be anything...

Sorry with work visa I mean I will get a 457 via Lester Associates if I can find a job. So basically I will only have a tourist visa when I arrive and once I find a job I will get a 457 via Lester Associates.

Sorry with work visa I mean I will get a 457 via Lester Associates if I can find a job. So basically I will only have a tourist visa when I arrive and once I find a job I will get a 457 via Lester Associates.

So you do not have a visa then.

This makes your job hunting situation many, many times harder.

What I have is a written guaranty from Lester Associates that they will support me with a visa once I get a job offer.

And according to them it can go very smooth and fast.

It's a catch 22 situation with many employers and agencies. You can only apply for some jobs if you already have a visa . However there may be very few employer that would consider this situation , if they are unable to find another candidate with required skills.

If you're going to be applying for in demand roles in a competitive market, I would assume Australian Citizens and Permanent Residency holders will have a huge advantage over you.

Maybe consider going the PR route before you come over?

Well that is exactly what I'm looking ibn to but I'm on the edge of being approved by ACS due to my experience. I hope it will work but are not 100% sure yet.

What I have is a written guaranty from Lester Associates that they will support me with a visa once I get a job offer.

And according to them it can go very smooth and fast.

??? Can someone explain this to me? Company A offers you the job, but Lester Associates offers you a visa? What's in it for Lester Associates?

??? Can someone explain this to me? Company A offers you the job, but Lester Associates offers you a visa? What's in it for Lester Associates?

I will be employeed by Lester Associates and directly with the Company A. That's how it works.

I will be employeed by Lester Associates and directly with the Company A. That's how it works.

Legally you would be employed with Lester and you would be contracting via Lester to company A.

Lester is like a IT consultancy company for Company A and they will invoice Company A for your service and they will pay you once company A pays Lester. Lester would probably charge a commission or fee , which can be anywhere betwee 5 to 15% of your salary. I have seen similar companies charging up to 30% of your salary as their fees or commission.

Legally you would be employed with Lester and you would be contracting via Lester to company A.

Lester is like a IT consultancy company for Company A and they will invoice Company A for your service and they will pay you once company A pays Lester. Lester would probably charge a commission or fee , which can be anywhere betwee 5 to 15% of your salary. I have seen similar companies charging up to 30% of your salary as their fees or commission.

Well, thanks for explaining that, but I think that simply diminishes the OPs chances of getting a job, and consequently a visa.

What a scam. You have to canvas potential clients at your own expense, then you pay Lester to work for them. If the OP will post with his skillset, and where he's worked, I think I could give him (her?) a very good appraisal of his chances.

I heard of this 'subcontracting' recently from an Indian colleague. This is nothing more than agencies like Lester taking advantage of people in a poor position, it is abhorrent to make you do all the leg work and then charge you a fee for the visa. The legalities of this are very questionable i would imagine.

I'd also comcur with verystormy, you face a ban and deportation is immigration get wind of your plans while on a tourist visa.