Citizenship By Descent

oppyddrum

Hi Everyone,

I just have a quick question about a citizenship by descent application;

I am applying for my 6 week old son who was born in the states. Does he get a certificate of citizenship once the application is approved? or do we have to do a separate application for evidence of citizenship?

Thanks in advance :)

If I've understood you correctly, then you'll get a certificate of citizenship by descent once the application is approved. My son had his in the post within a couple of weeks of us applying. However, this was in the UK where he was born and where we were living at the time. This was for Aus citizenship by descent.

Yes, i think you answered the question.

Just to clarify, my son qualifies as a citizen by descent as i am an Australian citizen and he was born in the US. we are now back in Australia, he is on the electronic visitors visa for 3 months.

I just posted his application for citizenship by descent today, and i wanted to know if he gets a certificate of citizenship back in the mail or just an extract and then we have to apply separately for evidence of citizenship.

If you are right snifter, that will be fantastic. at the bottom of page 5 of the application form 118 though, they said that we only get an extract and that is not a legal proof of citizenship.

I wonder why they would want to make one repeat an application (form 119) which is mostly a repeat of form 118... having to bother our friends again with the endorsement is my biggest problem with that really.

I hope you are right snifter. that would be awesome.

I applied in London for my two kids to get citizenship by descent (Aussie) and they were granted citizenship very quickly and a certificate followed in the post within a matter of weeks. I then sent off the letter that came with the certificates and the certificates together with their birth certificates (and mine) to get them their Aussie passports (with the appropriate forms of course) - there was no issue with that and no additional documentation requested.

So you should get a covering letter and a certificate.