Any insight into Offshore Family Sponsored 176 Priority 5?

westwoodwizard

I started this thread because there are so many people who talk about Skilled Sponsored 176 and they are referring to State Sponsored Skilled which is not the same as Family sponsored which is rock bottom in priority processing thus I have started this thread for those who have applied for and are still waiting for a case officer with respect to the GSM 176 Family Sponsored Offshore Priority 5 classification or for anyone with any insight to when if at all do you think these will ever get processed.

The website shows an allocation date of January 2008 which is the time DIAC put a halt to the processing. I also keep reading onshore gets processed ahead of offshore based on application date. What does that mean? Finish all onshore before they ever get to offshore? Well...that may never happen since people continue to apply.

We applied in April 2009 offshore for the Family Sponsored 176 visa and are in Priority 5.

Please provide your thoughts and insight for this particular visa situation. I know I am not the only one.

Edited by westwoodwizard

Sorry you have been waiting so long - don't think anyone has the answers maybe after 1 July processing might resume. But you might still have a long wait - if Australia is still where you want to be maybe the best corporate of action is to start again under skillselect.

The thought of starting again did cross our minds. We already spent $3000 and the new application would cost an additional $7000. Now, we would do it despite the heavy cost but then we thought who is to say they won't make another change to the laws that render the new application to the bottom of processing. So, like most people, we thought let us hope that they will get to our application soon but I wonder if it still is a wait of many more years.

Before starting a new application, I was hoping to get insight from people who are more knowledgeable on the existing FS offshore applications.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/118718-new-category-5s-where-you-now-549.html There is the cat 5 thread running just now. But apart from the information regarding cat 5 on DIBP not sure what other insights you are going to get.

Regarding reapplying if you are eligible - processing is moving very fast for 189 and 190 visas and appointed co within 7-10 wks.

Only if your occupation came off sol or csol on 1 July (sol if applied for 189 or csol 190) if you applied before 1 July, then could be back to where you are now.

It iwould be worth running things past a registered migration agent to go over your options.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/118718-new-category-5s-where-you-now-549.html There is the cat 5 thread running just now. But apart from the information regarding cat 5 on DIBP not sure what other insights you are going to get.

Regarding reapplying if you are eligible - processing is moving very fast for 189 and 190 visas and appointed co within 7-10 wks.

Only if your occupation came off sol or csol on 1 July (sol if applied for 189 or csol 190) if you applied before 1 July, then could be back to where you are now.

It iwould be worth running things past a registered migration agent to go over your options.

Thanks for the direct link. I do search the forums but as indicated in my original post. many of the threads are not helpful because the people who are at rock bottom and were really screwed by the changes are Offshore Family Sponsored 176 Priority 5 whereas many people generically discuss 176 while being State Sponsored, having a higher priority due to their particular skill, being onshore, etc which puts them in a different situation. I will take a look at 189 and 190 as well.

Edited by westwoodwizard

I was a Cat 5 FS 176 applicant too and had applied in January 2009. Waited until September 2011 after which I applied for WA SS which was approved in 2 hours the same day. A week later I had a CO and about a couple months thereafter I had my PR.

So yeah if you're still eligible for SS, go for it. But don't use it as a means to speed up your application and then forget about your obligation towards the sponsoring state once you have your visa granted :)

Good luck

Hi,

I am one of them. Offshore FS-176. Tired of waiting and decided to take a new course. Apply SS and inform DIBP of change in circumstances. That way I don't have to relodge a new application 190 and spend a huge amount of money.

Christine...thank you for the information. Can you please clarify the process for me? First, I thought it was too late to change over to State Sponsorship?

Second, I noticed that you took the IELTS in November 2013? My wife is the primary applicant and she took that test back in 2009 when we applied. Why did you retake the IELTS?

So, we are looking at Queensland and if there is an occupation that can be sponsored for her, I understand we should apply for that sponsorship and if it is approved simply notify DIAC by email. Is there a special form? There are forms for things like changing passport details and personal particulars. Didn't know if SS has a special form.

Thanks.

I was on a 176 FS Cat 5, I tried applying for sponsorship (NSW, QLD, NT) and they all rejected me because the 176 was depreciated and they would only sponsor 190 skillselect applications. Very frustrating as DIAC say you should try to get SS. No way I was cancelling application and paying another $7k for skillselect. Anyway after this I decided to do IELTS for extra points and transfer to 175 independent. I now have a CO 5 years after applying!

If you can change you should.

Westwoodwizard,

I am not sure if it could be done or not. I received an email from DIBP in July2012 that I could get a SS and inform them via form 1022 change of circumstances. However, as lebourvellec pointed out and from some where I have read that 176fs to 176ss dateline was end of 2012. Can someone verify this? Is it it true that 176fs cannot be changed to 176ss anymore? According to my agent ( we recently got one to relook into our options, we didn't have one previouly), we can try to get a ss and attempt to update DIBP, but if it is not possible, then we have to be prepared to lodge a whole new application 190. :( That's AUD10500 for us. Me, my partner and 2 kids.

I cannot take the route that A4Ron has taken because my occupation is no longer on the sol list.

As for retaking IELTS and VETASSESS, agent says the they were outdated and advised me to get new ones.

Westwoodwizard,

I am not sure if it could be done or not. I received an email from DIBP in July2012 that I could get a SS and inform them via form 1022 change of circumstances. However, as lebourvellec pointed out and from some where I have read that 176fs to 176ss dateline was end of 2012. Can someone verify this? Is it it true that 176fs cannot be changed to 176ss anymore? According to my agent ( we recently got one to relook into our options, we didn't have one previouly), we can try to get a ss and attempt to update DIBP, but if it is not possible, then we have to be prepared to lodge a whole new application 190. :( That's AUD10500 for us. Me, my partner and 2 kids.

I cannot take the route that A4Ron has taken because my occupation is no longer on the sol list.

As for retaking IELTS and VETASSESS, agent says the they were outdated and advised me to get new ones.

Thanks Christine. We definitely have to start from scratch as well and that means approximately USD 10,000 for me, my spouse and 2 kids...just like your situation. In my case, I must get the 8 on all four sections of the IELTS to get the 20 points because otherwise I cannot make the minimum 60 points. I am a native English speaker but my spouse told me that when she took the IELTS the audio was not great for the Listening section so I am a bit worried about that one. What was your experience?

Edited by westwoodwizard

Westwood wizard,

IELTS test is now much more difficult compared to 6 years back. Audios were clear itself however I did not hear clearly one or two words and it turn out to be the answer itself. However, still managed a L 8.0, R 9.0, W 8.0, S 7.5. Overall 8.0. I am a non native speaker.

Westwood wizard,

IELTS test is now much more difficult compared to 6 years back. Audios were clear itself however I did not hear clearly one or two words and it turn out to be the answer itself. However, still managed a L 8.0, R 9.0, W 8.0, S 7.5. Overall 8.0. I am a non native speaker.

Christine,

1. http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/190.aspx

According to DIAC (link above), the language they use leads me to believe that a person must get an 8 on each section in order to get the full 20 points. I noticed that you got a 7.5 for Speaking. Does that mean you are getting 10 points instead and did you already factor that in and still meet the minimum 60? Or, are you getting the full 20 because your average was 8 and that is also acceptable for the "expert" classification?

2. With respect to skills assessment, I am looking at QLD as well for the nomination for a 190 visa. However, since it is getting close to the end of DIPB's planning year of 2013-2014 and my application would not be lodged until the 2014-2015 year. Should I wait to make sure that the two skilled occupations that are my options are actually on the QLD migration list for 2014-2015 before spending money? I guess I am not sure if they keep changing their skills list every planning year thus rendering a skills assessment useless and a waste of money. The occupations that are my options are secondary teacher for math and mathematician. Both are on the QLD list for the 190 nomination.

Thanks...

Edited by westwoodwizard

Westwoodwizard,

Question 1:Yes. In order to get 20points for English, you will have to score a min of band 8.0 for each individual section. Therefore I only get 10 points for English. However, I still achieve a min of 60points.

Question 2:Depending on your agency that certifies your occupation and how long the assessment is going to take. If it is VETASSESS like mine, be prepared for the 4month wait. State SMPs do change from time to time usually at the beginning of the financial year. Sometimes, there is a cap to some occupations that receives a high number of applications. I have noticed that some states like NSW close their SS application as early as Feb and they will advised to try again the next financial yr. I'm not an expert in this, perhaps you would like to consult a migration agent, see what options are available.

I do hope I will be able to make it this yr as I do not know whether QLD will be sponsoring the next financial yr and it is the only state which is currently sponsoring my occupation. 6 years have been a long, long wait......

Best of luck in your application. Hope the info helps.

Cheers.

Westwoodwizard,

Question 1:Yes. In order to get 20points for English, you will have to score a min of band 8.0 for each individual section. Therefore I only get 10 points for English. However, I still achieve a min of 60points.

Question 2:Depending on your agency that certifies your occupation and how long the assessment is going to take. If it is VETASSESS like mine, be prepared for the 4month wait. State SMPs do change from time to time usually at the beginning of the financial year. Sometimes, there is a cap to some occupations that receives a high number of applications. I have noticed that some states like NSW close their SS application as early as Feb and they will advised to try again the next financial yr. I'm not an expert in this, perhaps you would like to consult a migration agent, see what options are available.

I do hope I will be able to make it this yr as I do not know whether QLD will be sponsoring the next financial yr and it is the only state which is currently sponsoring my occupation. 6 years have been a long, long wait......

Best of luck in your application. Hope the info helps.

Cheers.

Thank you Christine. It is kind of what I thought. I need to be prepared to risk USD$600 on the skills assessment and hope it is still on the list or not capped when they review my EOI. Just out of curiosity, did you consider waiting a little longer for the original application to make it to a case officer or did you believe this will not happen anytime soon? We have been waiting as well like all other 176 FS offshore priority 5 applicants hoping for a breakthrough but I have this bad feeling it could easily be another five years before there is movement. Thus, I am considering the new 190 visa application seriously.

Westwood wizard,

There are some news from another thread that 176FS is finally going to be processed this year. But whether it is really going to happen or not, I am not sure. 6years down the road waiting, I have lost 5points on age factor. And if I were to wait any longer, well, I might lose even more points.

When a migration agent we consulted asked us this question, "Would you like to go to Queensland? They are sponsoring your occupation. " I jumped at the opportunity. We do intend to honour our moral obligation to stay in the state for 2years if we were granted SS.

When I reapplied VETASSESS, I kept my fingers crossed that they wouldn't drop my occupation from the SMP list while I was waiting but then anything can happen along the way. Migration rules might change, state might reject sponsorship, there's no guarantee. But at least I am trying instead of just waiting. But if they do process 176, it would be wonderful news. Hopefully before I spend AUD10500.....:wink:

Westwood wizard,

There are some news from another thread that 176FS is finally going to be processed this year. But whether it is really going to happen or not, I am not sure. 6years down the road waiting, I have lost 5points on age factor. And if I were to wait any longer, well, I might lose even more points.

When a migration agent we consulted asked us this question, "Would you like to go to Queensland? They are sponsoring your occupation. " I jumped at the opportunity. We do intend to honour our moral obligation to stay in the state for 2years if we were granted SS.

When I reapplied VETASSESS, I kept my fingers crossed that they wouldn't drop my occupation from the SMP list while I was waiting but then anything can happen along the way. Migration rules might change, state might reject sponsorship, there's no guarantee. But at least I am trying instead of just waiting. But if they do process 176, it would be wonderful news. Hopefully before I spend AUD10500.....:wink:

Christine,

We want to go to the Queensland so we will have no issues honoring the obligation and they are at least right now sponsoring my occupation. I read some other threads too about FS 176 possibly being processed but again many people do not clarify whether they are onshore or offshore which I understand makes a difference because they are processing onshore first. Also, it is not clear whether they intend to process offshore only if all onshore are first cleared regardless of application date so as long as they keep receiving new FS onshore applications, offshore will continue to sit and collect dust! I had no idea when we applied that we were in the lowest visa category.

I also lost points because of change in age group.icon11.png

I applied for 176 FS offshore almost 6 years ago. For me, that particular moment was the perfect timing because I had just reached the 12 months recent work experience and I was 3 months before turning 30. At that time the maximum points were given for age group 24-29. Because my occupation had only 50 points, I needed all the points I could get. Luckily I was able to claim maximum points for Ielts and in the end I had 105 points (limit was 100 and for independent I needed 120).

After 1st of July 2010 my occupation was removed from SOL and never appeared back. So, I am stuck on this dead end road with no other option than to wait.

I still hope they will touch our applications during 2014.

Edited by dyanne
update

I applied for 176 FS offshore almost 6 years ago. For me, that particular moment was the perfect timing because I had just reached the 12 months recent work experience and I was 3 months before turning 30. At that time the maximum points were given for age group 24-29. Because my occupation had only 50 points, I needed all the points I could get. Luckily I was able to claim maximum points for Ielts and in the end I had 105 points (limit was 100 and for independent I needed 120).

After 1st of July 2010 my occupation was removed from SOL and never appeared back. So, I am stuck on this dead end road with no other option than to wait.

I still hope they will touch our applications during 2014.

dyanne,

I noticed in your details that your application was further processed four years after your application date. Not sure what that means but isn't that a good sign compared to the rest of us...or is it?

In 2012 I thought it was a good sign, but since then, almost 2 years passed with no other information.

In June 2012, my colleague from Human Resources told me that someone from Australian Embassy called her and asked details about my job (duties, how many working hours/week, if I get paid). Immediately I logged into my online account and saw the change of status which occurred 2 weeks before that call.

Normally, I would say that it was a CO allocated. But after all this time, I have no idea what it was. I might be in security checks which I've heard could take up to 18 months (I am from high risk country). Still, it's 22 months...

In 2012 I thought it was a good sign, but since then, almost 2 years passed with no other information.

In June 2012, my colleague from Human Resources told me that someone from Australian Embassy called her and asked details about my job (duties, how many working hours/week, if I get paid). Immediately I logged into my online account and saw the change of status which occurred 2 weeks before that call.

Normally, I would say that it was a CO allocated. But after all this time, I have no idea what it was. I might be in security checks which I've heard could take up to 18 months (I am from high risk country). Still, it's 22 months...

Your application is interesting because it is the first that I have come across (offshore fs 176) at least that actually had some activity even if it has now been almost two years since that time. From what I understand, our applications may never get processed or could take another 5 years easily if not more so it is as good as saying we are not going unless we find another way.

From what I understand, our applications may never get processed or could take another 5 years easily if not more so it is as good as saying we are not going unless we find another way.

I hope it's just a rumor what you've heard. I refuse to think they would do such an injustice.

I hope it's just a rumor what you've heard. I refuse to think they would do such an injustice.

In a sense they have done an injustice For you it has already been 6 years and even if you were allocated a case officer today it could be at least another year before a grant of a visa. Seven years is a long time and circumstances can change drastically enough that a family may no longer be able to go as a practical matter. I too hope it is a rumor but then is it? Look at the allocation table. It shows January 2008 which is pretty much the cut off date for their retroactive changes to immigration program. Applications in our category after that have been on this seemingly endless hold. I hope somebody out there gives us good news soon.