Enrole Medicare for children who are waiting for onshore child visa (subclass 802)

whtzau

Dear all,

was wondering if anyone applied for medicare for new born baby waiting for onshore child visa (subclass 802)...

Medicare hotline 132 011 indicated that if you got PR,then your child will automatically grand PR, this is totally not true.

Per my understanding for Medicare enrolment application:

regarding to "when to use this form" as below,

" -applying for permanent residency and living in Australia " ,

so I personally think people are waiting for child visa (subclass 802) and living

in Australia are eligible for Meidcare.

but, I would like to double confirm if we could get Medicare enrolled for child born overseas who are waiting for child visa (sublcass 802), thanks.

My understanding is the child has to be a PR or citizen (i could be wrong).

I am an Australian citizen and My son (born in the US), has to wait till his citizenship is approved before we can add him to our medicare. in the meantime, his bills are charged to his mom's medicare number.

my understanding from Medicare Enrolment Application

" People who have applied for a permanent resident visa (except for a parent visa)

may be eligible for the Medicare and Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme programs if they have a visa authorising their stay in Australia and:their parent, spouse or child is an Australian citizen or holds an Australian permanent resident visa.

so, child is living with Australian PR parents in Australia and waiting for subclass 101 visa is eligible for Medicare..

but still would like to confirm with other who have similar experience, thanks.

You may be able to obtain Medicare if a Permanent Resident application has been made. Get a letter from DIBP indicating a PR application has been made and take to a Medicare office to ask for a temporary Medicare card.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/medicare/medicare-card/eligibility-for-medicare-card

Hi thanks for your reply, as centrelink hotline just said your child will be automatically grand PR as your are PR..

I really doubt their professionalism ... so would like to know if there's anyone had similar experience..

as new born baby will need to get immunization frequently ...immunization will cost a lit if there's no Medicare for new born baby.

Hi thanks for your reply, as centrelink hotline just said your child will be automatically grand PR as your are PR..

I really doubt their professionalism ... so would like to know if there's anyone had similar experience..

as new born baby will need to get immunization frequently ...immunization will cost a lit if there's no Medicare for new born baby.

We just brought in the letter as mentioned for the child's PR application

We just brought in the letter as mentioned for the child's PR application

Hi tks for ur sharing...did u apply for 101 offshore or 802 onshore visa for ur kid? I am from eta country, but will be applying visitor visa and request six months stay...just wanna double confirm if in such situation when staying in Australia with visitor visa and waiting for subclass 101 offshore child visa, is the child still eligible for medicare ? ....

Tks.. I and my wife still waiting for citizenship so that we will need to apply either offshore child visa subclass 101 or onshore child visa subclass 802 as my wife is going to deliver birth overseas....as we will need to get immunization for new born baby very frequently before six month old...that's why I would like to further confirm if I could get medicare when my child stayes with us by visitor visa and being waiting for offshore child visa subclass 101.....

Edited by whtzau

• 3 years later...
On 4/10/2014 at 02:42, whtzau said:

Dear all,

was wondering if anyone applied for medicare for new born baby waiting for onshore child visa (subclass 802)...

Medicare hotline 132 011 indicated that if you got PR,then your child will automatically grand PR, this is totally not true.

Per my understanding for Medicare enrolment application:

regarding to "when to use this form" as below,

" -applying for permanent residency and living in Australia " ,

so I personally think people are waiting for child visa (subclass 802) and living

in Australia are eligible for Meidcare.

but, I would like to double confirm if we could get Medicare enrolled for child born overseas who are waiting for child visa (sublcass 802), thanks.

Hi Whtzau

I have a question related to 802 child visa that I hope you can offer some of your thoughts on - we have a new born due next year March and we are debating if I should deliver locally in the US or go to Australia. We just been granted PR visa and the compalication with giving birth locally would be to apply the child a 802 visa afterward for the new born. As we understand all child has to go through health check and we would worry a situation where child visa 802 got denied becasue of applicant having health issue. Although there is a very small probabilty with birth defect, this is still a risk to our view. Just becasue if child visa ever got rejected then we as a family will not re-locate altough we are PR holder. To your knowledge, do you have any thoughts on this issue at all? Your help is appreciated.

Zoe

4 hours ago, Zoez said:

Zoe,

So you have had your PR visa granted offshore and you have NOT firstly arrived Australia with your PR visa ? please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

If your plan is to bring new born baby into Australian with Australian electronic travel authority (https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/) with US passport (he/she will be delivered in US)

then apply for subclass 802 onshore child PR visa ?  If this is your plan, then YES , you will become Australian Permanent Resident once arrival with your PR visa and you will be

eligible to sponsor your new born for application to subclass 802 visa.

You can refer to page 1 of Medicare Enrollment Form -  https://www.humanservices.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/3101-1306en.pdf

and YES , you can enroll your new born baby with Medicare AS LONG AS you have received "acknowledgement letter of sublcass 802 application" issued by DIBP.

Medicare will need to process your request and give you temporary medicare card (maybe valid for 1 year) for your new born baby.

Applying for permanent residency
People who have applied for a permanent resident visa (except for
a parent visa) may be eligible for the Medicare and Pharmaceutical
Benefits Scheme programs if they have a visa authorising their stay in
Australia and:
have permission to work, or
their parent, spouse or child is an Australian citizen or holds an
Australian permanent resident visa

I am not sure your status in US. (Green card or US Citizen?)

If you can just move to Australia and you can get Medicare "straight away" and deliver birth here in "Public hospital" for free

and your new born will be eligible for Australian citizen, if you are US citizen or foreigners but do not mind if your new born can get US citizenship or not

then I strongly suggest you delivering here in Australia. That will save your lots of time for paper work of subclass 802 visa and waiting time panic!!!

If you want to discuss further you may email me at "whtzau@hotmail.com"

4 hours ago, Zoez said:

Hi Whtzau

I have a question related to 802 child visa that I hope you can offer some of your thoughts on - we have a new born due next year March and we are debating if I should deliver locally in the US or go to Australia. We just been granted PR visa and the compalication with giving birth locally would be to apply the child a 802 visa afterward for the new born. As we understand all child has to go through health check and we would worry a situation where child visa 802 got denied becasue of applicant having health issue. Although there is a very small probabilty with birth defect, this is still a risk to our view. Just becasue if child visa ever got rejected then we as a family will not re-locate altough we are PR holder. To your knowledge, do you have any thoughts on this issue at all? Your help is appreciated.

Zoe

• 5 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2014 at 16:30, whtzau said:

my understanding from Medicare Enrolment Application

" People who have applied for a permanent resident visa (except for a parent visa)

may be eligible for the Medicare and Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme programs if they have a visa authorising their stay in Australia and:their parent, spouse or child is an Australian citizen or holds an Australian permanent resident visa.

so, child is living with Australian PR parents in Australia and waiting for subclass 101 visa is eligible for Medicare..

but still would like to confirm with other who have similar experience, thanks.

Hi Whtzau,

I am in a similar situation now. My wife and I are OZ Permanent residents. Our son is born overseas just a couple of months back. We have applied for subclass 101 (which is a paper application at the local VFS in India). If I bring him to Australia on Visitor VISA, is he eligible to apply for a medicare? I went to medicare and they said they do not know. They couldnt answer as they are not sure if SC 101 is considered to be a PR application. Please share your experience as you were facing similar situation a few years ago. Thank you.

Regards,

JaiK

1 hour ago, JaiK said:

Hi Whtzau,

I am in a similar situation now. My wife and I are OZ Permanent residents. Our son is born overseas just a couple of months back. We have applied for subclass 101 (which is a paper application at the local VFS in India). If I bring him to Australia on Visitor VISA, is he eligible to apply for a medicare? I went to medicare and they said they do not know. They couldnt answer as they are not sure if SC 101 is considered to be a PR application. Please share your experience as you were facing similar situation a few years ago. Thank you.

Regards,

JaiK

Hi JaiK,

check page 2 of "Medicare enrolment form"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwiD9dDqspbbAhXFlZQKHYLhAGUQFghAMAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.humanservices.gov.au%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F02%2Fms004-1802en-f.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2EAmKxA89oMEskWRSsCO3I

I 100% confirm that you son is eligible for medicare as long as VFS in India already issued "Acknowledgement letter"

Once you take your son to Australia with visitor visa , take him to nearest Medicare and request talking to supervisor.

Have applied for permanent residency/permanent (sublcass 101)
protection visa
For each person provide:
• a current passport or immicard, and
• confirmation that an application for permanent residency has been lodged with the Department of Home Affairs, and
a valid visa. (Visitor visa)

If your visa (visor visa) does not allow you to work in Australia, you must prove you have a relationship
with your: PARENT, spouse, de facto, or your child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident
or a New Zealand citizen living in Australia.

Edited by whtzau