Getting increasingly frustrated. Help?

kerrylouise

Hi everyone, I'm currently in Australia from London on my second working holiday visa, I have been with my fiance for 2 years and 3 months and we are planning to apply for the de facto partner visa early next year.

I want to become a teacher, I have a BA degree with honours from home in English. I would like to get some advice on the best way to go about this. Basically, I have a Skype interview for a few weeks time for a PGCE in Further Education at a college back home in London. If I get accepted and choose to go, I will have to leave Australia in August to be there for enrolment week. However this will mean remaining in England to finish the course until July 2015, so I would be apart from my fiance, aside from whatever visits we can afford.

Another option is to stay here and apply for the de facto visa here and stay on a bridging visa until a decision is made on it. However, I assume I would still have to pay international student fees to do my Graduate Diploma here, and to be eligible for domestic fees I would have to wait until I get permanent residence which would not be until January 2017, I don't really want to wait that long though.

Another option is to do a Masters degree in Special Education, I have found an online one with the University of Nottingham, I know I would not get funding for this but as it would be considerably cheaper than international fees here I would be happy to save for it etc. My question though, would I be able to register as a teacher in Queensland with this Masters? I've heard I could, as it would be a masters in Education, but elsewhere I have read that I would need some form of teacher training, which makes sense. I'm so confused and frustrated, I want to avoid being apart from my fiance again if I can, I'm really happy and feel like I've started to build a life here. Is there any way I can study and become a teacher here without waiting 2+ years/paying $27,000 for a one year course? Should I just go home and study there if I get accepted? Would I be able to register as a teacher over here with just a Bachelors and a Masters?

I'd like to be able to teach in Europe later on also so I would need something that would allow me to teach there also, not necessarily in England.

I'm feeling very lost, I just want to teach and be with my fiance :(

Thanks in advance for any advice xx

Hi everyone, I'm currently in Australia from London on my second working holiday visa, I have been with my fiance for 2 years and 3 months and we are planning to apply for the de facto partner visa early next year.

I want to become a teacher, I have a BA degree with honours from home in English. I would like to get some advice on the best way to go about this. Basically, I have a Skype interview for a few weeks time for a PGCE in Further Education at a college back home in London. If I get accepted and choose to go, I will have to leave Australia in August to be there for enrolment week. However this will mean remaining in England to finish the course until July 2015, so I would be apart from my fiance, aside from whatever visits we can afford.

Another option is to stay here and apply for the de facto visa here and stay on a bridging visa until a decision is made on it. However, I assume I would still have to pay international student fees to do my Graduate Diploma here, and to be eligible for domestic fees I would have to wait until I get permanent residence which would not be until January 2017, I don't really want to wait that long though.

Another option is to do a Masters degree in Special Education, I have found an online one with the University of Nottingham, I know I would not get funding for this but as it would be considerably cheaper than international fees here I would be happy to save for it etc. My question though, would I be able to register as a teacher in Queensland with this Masters? I've heard I could, as it would be a masters in Education, but elsewhere I have read that I would need some form of teacher training, which makes sense. I'm so confused and frustrated, I want to avoid being apart from my fiance again if I can, I'm really happy and feel like I've started to build a life here. Is there any way I can study and become a teacher here without waiting 2+ years/paying $27,000 for a one year course? Should I just go home and study there if I get accepted? Would I be able to register as a teacher over here with just a Bachelors and a Masters?

I'd like to be able to teach in Europe later on also so I would need something that would allow me to teach there also, not necessarily in England.

I'm feeling very lost, I just want to teach and be with my fiance :(

Thanks in advance for any advice xx

The simple answer is no, you would not be qualified to teach here without initial teacher training.

Your options are to do a PGCE in the UK, or a one year Graduate Diploma here, or the new two year Masters of Education here (which is actually an initial teacher training course) which is gradually replacing the Graduate Diploma country wide.

If you do the Masters in the UK you will not be able to teach here, unless it is a teacher training course, which by the sound of it, it is not.

You would be liable for international fees until you became a permanent resident. You would not be able to get student loans to cover fees until you became an Australian citizen.

Archived