bricklaying/refractory bricklaying

steven01uk

Hi I'm new to this website. I'm planning on moving to Australia around September time on a working holiday visa. With the plan of hopefully getting a sponsorship after the 2 years. Anyway, I've been looking on the internet at all different forums and the latest i can find is 2009 on what the bricklaying situation is like. It didn't sound that promising to be fair. I'm 27 and I have 8 years experience outside bricklaying and for the last 3 years I've been working on a steelworks doing refractory bricklaying. So basically just wanting some up-to-date info on how hard finding a job will be. Closer to the time i'll email my CV to companies to hopefully land something before I even get there. If anyone has further info that would be great, such as likely hours worked, average wages, work conditions for refractory. Thanks in advance if anyone can help at all, Steve.

Hi, I'm a Bricky in Brisbane. It's busy , you be be having hard luck not to find work bricklaying. It's flatout again. Perth is busy , Sydney is busy but cannot say much on other cities. The industry is full of Brits. Will say I would not bother sending cv to anyone as I don't think that really is the way to go in bricklaying. It's just a case of turning up and going onto sites and asking for work here. Job clubs also won't be much help to you. The papers will usually have bricklaying jobs, pay not always good that way but it's a start. 2009- 2011 was a bit quiet here . Seems to all picked up again. Most companies having record sales which is now filtering through. I don't know of any brickies ever finding it tough to get work here in brissie. Pay ranges from $30-$40 working for someone, usually 8-10 hour days. I stress again don't rely on job clubs for trade work. No one I have known advertising work through them. It's not what you know here it's who you know. Just drive around sites and I'm sure you should get a start quickly. I'm in residential housing. Becoming a contractor and working for yourself is where the money is made. Rates gone up to around $1 per brick now for contractors where I am. Better pay in Sydney and Perth.

Good luck on adventure .

• 5 months later...

Ausborn

Hi, i'm a time served bricky now working as a site manager in the UK. I have worked in Brisbane back in 2003 as a bricky but obviously a lot has changed since then. I'm keen to get back out to Oz. The idea would be to get a year or so experience then try to get my supervisors license and try to break into construction management over there; although after hearing a few horror stories re immigration scams, I'm a little concerned. Do you know what the site management market is like for Poms? Also if money was decent enough then maybe i'll just stay on the tools.

Hi Mickeyj

We moved over three years ago exactly. We live in Perth, Northern Suburbs. The construction game here is still full on. If you look through the job vacancies for tradies, the majority by some way are for experienced brickies. Good brickies are like hen's teeth over here at the moment. Supervisors are poaching from each other and the price per brick is going through the roof!!. Log on to Gumtree Perth and look at the jobs section for construction. It's the best barometer you'll get mate.

Good luck. If I can help more, give me a shout.

Ausborn

Hi, i'm a time served bricky now working as a site manager in the UK. I have worked in Brisbane back in 2003 as a bricky but obviously a lot has changed since then. I'm keen to get back out to Oz. The idea would be to get a year or so experience then try to get my supervisors license and try to break into construction management over there; although after hearing a few horror stories re immigration scams, I'm a little concerned. Do you know what the site management market is like for Poms? Also if money was decent enough then maybe i'll just stay on the tools.

the industry is flatout at the moment . A lot of project builders have been looking for supervisors for residential housing. Commercial work is booming too. In the industry at the moment , I would be confident to say as a subbie you have more earning potential than supervisors.

As above said, bricklayers are in a good position , building companies are having troubles finding contractors to keep up with workloads. I'm going flatout 6 day weeks 10 hour days. Money's great but starting to take its toll.

You will have no trouble finding work on the tools first up. I'd get your foot in the door than approach the project builders and look for supervisor work.

Archived