UK Forces Pension and Australian Forces Pension Query

Hello All,

So we have decided after 22 years to go back to the UK.

Husband will turn 60 this year so if we stayed in Australia he would not be required to pay (Australian) tax on his Australian Pension (not sure about the UK one - he has paid tax up till now but don't know if the Australian ATO treat it the same as the UK pension and don't tax you).

My question is:- do you know if the UK and Australian pensions are taxable in the UK? I did look at the tax threshold calculator but can't quite work out our situation. (I am 50 and will not work when we go back to the UK).

So if our income was going to be about Twenty Thousand pounds per annum what would the tax be on this amount? (considering this income is from military pension funds).

Our intention is to rent in the UK for a year, catching up with family and friends, then perhaps if funds allow go to France for a year (again renting).

Any info would be appreciated. Its odd to feel out of sorts with our birth country but we have been in Australia a good while now.

Thanks.