Registered Nurse needs advise on 190 visa

JJ333

I am a British registered nurse planning to apply for the subclass 190 visa permanent residence visa. I am registered with AHPRA and will have 60 points if I get state nomination.

I have a few questions. Could someone help?

1. Can I apply myself or do I need to apply through a migration agent. Is it difficult to do by myself?

2. Should I get ANMAC (special) assessment first and then state nomination before I apply for EOI or am I supposed to apply for state nomination and EOI together.

3. What is the time frame to apply once invited for application. I need to know as I work full time in case I apply myself I need to plan the time.

4. Is form 1276 the identical to the online application form e-visa form 1393? And am I supposed to submit health and character documents along with the e-visa application.

5. There is any e-book,guide or book which could help in applying for the visa?

Yes you can apply yourself..it is easy if you take the time to read everything and are good with details n organizing etc...you could pay an agent too if you can afford it n if you find these types of things stressful..its personal choice..I done mine alone and had no problems.

Yes you need anmac before you go anywhere near visa..currently it takes 16 weeks for anmac

60 days once you are invited

You can do health requirements before applying for visa through 'my health declerations' and 'emedical client' or you can apply for visa and wait to be asked for them as many ppl prefer to do..medicals last 12 months

All the info u need is on immi website, anmac, ielts n ahpra websites too..here is good resource and some agents will give you first consult free which can add to your knowledge if doing it alone

Good luck

Thanks a lot xlornax for your advise. It has given me more confidence. Since I have AHPRA registration I am applying for the modified assessment with ANMAC. As I am presently working as an aged care nurse I think I should nominate the ANZSCO code for aged care on the assessment application. Is that right ? Though I am nursing Diploma holder I have been told by my friend that I would be assessed as a degree(which would give me 15 points)- the explanation under point test -qualification under subclass 190 visa in the immi.gov.au website I think does suggests that. Do you think so?

Thanks a lot xlornax for your advise. It has given me more confidence. Since I have AHPRA registration I am applying for the modified assessment with ANMAC. As I am presently working as an aged care nurse I think I should nominate the ANZSCO code for aged care on the assessment application. Is that right ? Though I am nursing Diploma holder I have been told by my friend that I would be assessed as a degree(which would give me 15 points)- the explanation under point test -qualification under subclass 190 visa in the immi.gov.au website I think does suggests that. Do you think so?

If you get an invitation based on a claim for more points than you're entitled to, your visa application will be denied and you'll lose your VAC. You should never trust anyone except an experienced professional when they tell you something like 'your diploma will be assessed as a degree'. Your friend may well be correct but IMO, it's a huge chance to take. Even if you decide to do your application by yourself, I really do think you should pay for at least some initial advice.

I wouldn't count diploma as degree on visa but I dnt know..it may count as same as degree for being registered/assessed as a nurse but i wouldn't claim points for it on visa...you will need to read up on that..any info you get always get it collaborated elsewhere..dnt take one persons word for things. .maybe someone else on here will know more..I had the degree so didnt need to look into this

Your Diploma should be equivalent to a Degree - this is the case with many nurses from the UK - so yes you should be able to count 15 points. Your skills assessment will confirm whether or not it is deemed to be equivalent to a degree (ANMAC will state this in writing on the assessment outcome letter).

I am a British registered nurse planning to apply for the subclass 190 visa permanent residence visa. I am registered with AHPRA and will have 60 points if I get state nomination.

I have a few questions. Could someone help?

1. Can I apply myself or do I need to apply through a migration agent. Is it difficult to do by myself?

2. Should I get ANMAC (special) assessment first and then state nomination before I apply for EOI or am I supposed to apply for state nomination and EOI together.

3. What is the time frame to apply once invited for application. I need to know as I work full time in case I apply myself I need to plan the time.

4. Is form 1276 the identical to the online application form e-visa form 1393? And am I supposed to submit health and character documents along with the e-visa application.

5. There is any e-book,guide or book which could help in applying for the visa?

Hi JJ333,

1- you can easly apply by yourself, i did it myself too

2- i belive the first thing to do is to get Skill assessment (they will assess your degree and experiance as mentioned in my assessment letter; where you be confident to the score 60 or less), then you can go for IELTS (if you are not british), after that EOI submission, then the State nomination (in the State nomination application they ask for EOI reference number)

3- after getting the invitation you have 60 days to pay the fees and submit the visa application (if you have the money do it at once cause you still have more time to wait), after visa lodgement you will wait for Case Officer to be assigned to your case which takes 7 to 10 weeks, i would tell dont quit your job until visa is granted

4- you dont need forms at this stage all will be done online, medical and character documents to be done after visa lodgement or can be done after CO assigned

5- Immi website is the source for all information, also guidence from threads would be addition.

thanks and wish you the best

wish me luck too :biggrin:

Hi Ozmaniac thanks for your advise. I have been informed that my diploma would be assessed by ANMAC as degree by a registered MARA agent as well as a friend who had got 190 visa recently who is a diploma holder herself. In the immi.gov.au website under subclass 190 visa -point test -bachelor degree it says-'For example a Diploma in Nursing completed in the United Kingdom is generally considered by the relevant assessing authority as comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree.' Now this is also confirmed by SOMV a MARA agent herself on this thread.

In the immi.gov.au website under subclass 190 visa -point test -bachelor degree it says-'For example a Diploma in Nursing completed in the United Kingdom is generally considered by the relevant assessing authority as comparable to an Australian Bachelor degree.' Now this is also confirmed by SOMV a MARA agent herself on this thread.

Thank you very much for your reply. I do appreciate it and it has given more clarity on the visa process. This would be helpful all of us planing to apply for subclass 190 visa. Well I am not planning to attend IELTS as I am British citizen.

Thanks a lot SOMV. Your position as a MARA gives an added weight to your reply. But I am not sure whether it all has to do the way the application is submitted to ANMAC. Am I supposed to submit my CV for ANMAC registration or is the application process simply straight forward

You dont register with anmac, you have your skills assessed by them..you register with ahpra and ahpra need a cv...also if you apply to anmac first you will need to take academic ielts..you may need to take ielts anyway for visa points.

Thank you very much for your reply. I do appreciate it and it has given more clarity on the visa process. This would be helpful all of us planing to apply for subclass 190 visa. Well I am not planning to attend IELTS as I am British citizen.

Hi, just to clarify for any potential applicants, even British citizens have to sit ielts for full ANMAC assessment. JJ333 does not need to sit it, as already registered with AHPRA, so only requires modified assessment. Just in case you get anyone's hopes up!

All the best.

Edited by geordiegirl68

Yes you are right. I am registered with AHPRA so I don't need IELTS and I can do a modified assessment with ANMAC and am exempt from IELTS. If you have completed your secondary and tertiary education in an English speaking country(as per AHPRA UK,USA,Canada,Ireland,South Africa,Newzealand and Australia) you are exempt from the IELTS test for AHPRA registration. Well if you are a nurse and don't want to sit for IELTS or are not sure whether you would get 7 in each module get registered with AHPRA first and then apply for the modified assessment.

Well said JJ333, worried that some reading may think ielts not needed for ANMAC if native English speaker. I am awaiting AHPRA, which is a nightmare at the mo. But I am a diploma nurse, and I was assessed as batchelor degree equivalent with ANMAC. Now have PR visa, but can't work until AHPRA comes through! Arghhhh!

Good luck

im a UK

diploma nurse , got ANMAC LOD march 2013, stating equivalent of oz bachelor degree = 15 visa points

Hi Xlornax thanks again. But I am AHPRA registered so don't need IELTS for ANMAC. And moreover,I think I would get 60 points with state nomination provided my three year nursing Diploma is assessed as a degree by ANMAC. Well.Well if not I would go for subclass 489 the 4 year temporary visa which could automatically lead to PR after 2 years or I might sit for IELTS.

Thanks for that confirmation. Is the ANMAC skill assessment pretty straight forward. I know that once I fill the online application form and do the payment, an online application would be sent to my e-mail account which I need to fill and sent back,I know I need to submit my AHPRA certificate,my diploma certificate etc,but is the application process straight forward or is assessing diploma as equivalent to Australian degree have to do with the way we fill the form and submit documents. For me I think that ANMAC assessment is most concerning part as my 60 points hang on my qualification being assessed as a degree.

I did visa myself, no denying it's stressful, even now waiting for AHPRA to come through, but fairly straightforward. Do your ANMAC assessment first, then you have it in writing that they class your diploma as equivalent to batchelors, before you claim points, and pay money for visa.

Good luck.

Hi JJ333,

1- you can easly apply by yourself, i did it myself too

2- i belive the first thing to do is to get Skill assessment (they will assess your degree and experiance as mentioned in my assessment letter; where you be confident to the score 60 or less), then you can go for IELTS (if you are not british), after that EOI submission, then the State nomination (in the State nomination application they ask for EOI reference number)

3- after getting the invitation you have 60 days to pay the fees and submit the visa application (if you have the money do it at once cause you still have more time to wait), after visa lodgement you will wait for Case Officer to be assigned to your case which takes 7 to 10 weeks, i would tell dont quit your job until visa is granted

4- you dont need forms at this stage all will be done online, medical and character documents to be done after visa lodgement or can be done after CO assigned

5- Immi website is the source for all information, also guidence from threads would be addition.

thanks and wish you the best

wish me luck too :biggrin:

Hi Emilio

I am a new member here.I am registered nurse in UK working in a nursing home.I am in the process of my skill assessment by ANMAC.I am lil bit stuck with the professional reference letter.Can u please through some light regarding how it should look to be exact to the description of ANMAC.

Also,i dnt have a bachellor's deegree.Rather i have a diploma and hoping that it will be fine and ANMAC assessment will be able to claim 15 points.

Any help and suggestion will be highly appreciated.