Hurstville, Sydney

vickyplum

It has a large asian community and asian feel in regards to shops, food etc...more chinese ppl than australian and more ppl speak mandarin than english...I didnt like it so didnt stay long...good public transport links though..what would you like to know?

just curious as to the general "vibe" I guess. ie, dead ropey, nice, expensive etc... Only because the boyfriend mentioned he lived in great apartment there and the train connections look good, so I did a bit of Google. But will hopefully be in Sydney around September time, so will go and do a daytime recce!

Not nice...to me it was cold, polluted, difficult to communicate with alot of ppl in shops, buses etc as I don't speak mandarin, it felt a bit tired and I didnt feel safe alot of the time...im hoping someone will come on and tell you its good points as im sure there is many..it just wasnt for me

Thanks - was just being nosey really. Sounds like a practical place to live, for the head but not the heart!

Not nice...to me it was cold, polluted, difficult to communicate with alot of ppl in shops, buses etc as I don't speak mandarin, it felt a bit tired and I didnt feel safe alot of the time...im hoping someone will come on and tell you its good points as im sure there is many..it just wasnt for me

My OH works in the shopping centre in Hurstville (he owns the branch of Specsavers there), and likes it as a place to work, but we wouldn't want to live in Hurstville. As has been mentioned there is a huge Chinese/Vietnamese population, lots of high rise apartment blocks, easy train in to Sydney CBD. It isn't particularly green (at least the areas I have seen aren't), and is very crowded which is why we didn't like it to live in - we prefer peace and quiet which you wouldn't get in Hurstville. OH says that he has never felt unsafe there though, and he works until 9pm one night per week, and does occasionally go out in Hurstville in the evenings for staff dinners. OH thinks that perhaps 50% of the population are Asian (Chinese/Vietnamese etc), from who he sees at work. That didn't bother us, but having come from a location in rural Suffolk, we needed somewhere quieter to live. We have children though, which did influence where we chose to live. Without children, Hurstville would be a good place to live. It has lots of restaurants, easy to get around without a car etc.

Edited by LKC

Years ago I used to live near Hurstville and went there to do my shopping. In those days (30 years ago) it was your average Sydney suburb with a good shopping centre and good transport links. Nothing flash, but nothing bad either.

Sometime between then and now, it morphed into a Chinatown. It's all perfectly safe, it's just busy (and very Chinese).

I live close to Hurstville and in fact it is my closest biggest shopping center. I have been out to dinner a few times at night and have been there a lot in the day. Yes it does have a lot of Asians there but it feels totally safe. It is very busy and the trains, at peak times, get very packed so it's not a particularly nice line to travel on (Illawara). There are lots of rises and it does have a real city rush type feel to it. Overall I think it's OK but I wouldn't choose to live in Hurstville in itself but only cause I don't feel there's enough space to bring up a kid and we have a 4 month old.