Interesting phone call

Lynne78

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are loads of people who try to warn the would be migrants that the streets are not paved with gold. I always try to remove rose tints when I see them, trouble is then you get called negative or bitter or worse. I have lost count of number of times that has happened, even though the truth is that I am a "happy migrant" and things have worked out for me.

Must say I don't understand why you think a recruitment agent would make up jobs just to collect CVs, there is no benefit in having those CVs unless a job is found.

They contact the cv's owners to find who is working, and they try and get their managers name. Then they call the manager and try to get his managers name, until they get to someone with the power to hire. It's just about expanding their contact list. Like any cold calling, it is debatable how successful it is.

I once got to third interview with a company. They even took me out to lunch. When I asked about the job, they said there is no job. The agency approached them saying they had some skilled people they may be interested in. All sorts happens in the IT industry, and I guess others are just following suit.

I've two friends who are electricians and they have more work than the need, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

You do realize that when you are desperately looking for work, nothing winds you up more than comments like this. Please try and be a little bit sensitive.

If your two friends have extra work that can be shared out, I'm sure the op would appreciate a pm.

How bloody rude!

No it's not actually. I've been out of work and surrounded by people with the, 'well my friend ...'

That is bloody rude. You are implying that there is something wrong with the op, and that they only have themselves to blame, and, yes, you did mean that.

Edited by newjez

I'm intrigued by the "government department" which made the initial phone call. The Australian government shed its employment service in the early 1990s and handed the work to private agencies. Unless the WA government is doing something special in this area? Just curious.

I've two friends who are electricians and they have more work than the need, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Can assure you electricians are demand in Perth. Likewise with Brissie. Relying on a job agency is the first problem. Tradies won't find a decent job this way, maybe they might get a temporary job that needs doing quickly and get offered terrible money , but that how it goes with agencies when your a tradie. Tradesman are in demand in every capital city in oz. Will be for a long time yet.

Who is they? I don't recall ever seeing any enticing advertising about moving to Australia.

Perhaps that's because you are not in the UK?

There is plenty of it, in fact I posted one in the jobs section just recently from WA Police.

I was recruited at an by invitation only 'Australian Needs Skills' expo but on by the Dept. of Immigration - no different than going to the Motor show or The Ideal Home Exhibition - they have a product to sell.

And I had an interesting conversation on a train once with a guy who owned a PR company who had done work for WA state government on just that - his company had been responsible for one such campaign, he had no qualms saying it was all nonsense but then so is most advertising - Lynx doesn't really make you fight off women! So more fool those (including me!) that fell for false advertising, it's been going on since the days of the 10 pound poms and interestingly the promises Australia is sold on haven't changed.

Where the advertising is by a government, either federal or state I think there is a tendency for people to take it as 'fact' especially if that 'fact' is something you want to believe.

Caveat emptor!

Edited by Lady Rainicorn

I think recruitment agents in Australia have the same bad reputation as some real estate agents have in the UK. Conversely, I do think real estate agents here do actually work very hard, unlike their counterparts in the UK, to earn their commission. So recruitment agents are rightly pretty much the bottom of the reputation heap!

There is plenty of it, in fact I posted one in the jobs section just recently from WA Police.

What a ridiculous reply! Obviously I am talking about when I was in the UK, a place I lived in for 40 years. You are either being pedantic or extremely dim. And no I NEVER saw a sales pitch on moving to Australia whilst I lived in the UK, hope that is clear enough for you.

Of course I have not seen advertisements about moving to Australia whilst I have been living in Australia, I thought that would be stating the blinkin' obvious..

I was recruited at an by invitation only 'Australian Needs Skills' expo but on by the Dept. of Immigration - no different than going to the Motor show or The Ideal Home Exhibition - they have a product to sell.

And I had an interesting conversation on a train once with a guy who owned a PR company who had done work for WA state government on just that - his company had been responsible for one such campaign, he had no qualms saying it was all nonsense but then so is most advertising - Lynx doesn't really make you fight off women! So more fool those (including me!) that fell for false advertising, it's been going on since the days of the 10 pound poms and interestingly the promises Australia is sold on haven't changed.

Where the advertising is by a government, either federal or state I think there is a tendency for people to take it as 'fact' especially if that 'fact' is something you want to believe.

Caveat emptor!

This is why I try to record TV programmes in advance, so that I can fast forward past the adverts! Well, I have done ever since my then 5 and 6 year old daughters told me that Veet gives you smooth legs and have I told their dad about it so he can have smooth face for up to 6 weeks :err:

I will disagree with Rupert on this one.

Prior to qualifying as a geologist, i spent a good number of years in recruitment. I was branch manager and a national key account manager at one point as well. I can say with total confidence that most of the jobs agencies advertise for are fake. It is called specking. You advertise a job and get the CV's. You get the good ones in and get the details of their referees from their previous jobs. You now have contacts in companies you can try to sell into. The flip side is that you can now send out the CV's to clients to try and get a bite.

What a ridiculous reply! Obviously I am talking about when I was in the UK, a place I lived in for 40 years. You are either being pedantic or extremely dim. And no I NEVER saw a sales pitch on moving to Australia whilst I lived in the UK, hope that is clear enough for you.

Of course I have not seen advertisements about moving to Australia whilst I have been living in Australia, I thought that would be stating the blinkin' obvious..

What an obnoxious reply, I am actually shaking here and tempted to reply in the same vein but instead I will just block you as you are really not worth my time.

Caveat emptor!

WA amb service also specifically recruit overseas when needed. Seen in the uk amb magazines myself.

WA amb service also specifically recruit overseas when needed. Seen in the uk amb magazines myself.

Not that's there is anything wrong with that but it is the way in which it is done that with hindsight makes me realise how foolish I was!

Can assure you electricians are demand in Perth. Likewise with Brissie. Relying on a job agency is the first problem. Tradies won't find a decent job this way, maybe they might get a temporary job that needs doing quickly and get offered terrible money , but that how it goes with agencies when your a tradie. Tradesman are in demand in every capital city in oz. Will be for a long time yet.

How exactly should the op go about getting work then? Do you have any contacts you can pm them? I assume you are involved in the industry?

Not actually correct, the NEC and motorcycle museum in Birmingham were regularly used for emigration expos for Australia (and Canada), and often different states were represented with lots of private employment agencies there. The adverts were on billboards, buses and trains and local TV. They ran this round the country in various big cities.

Sometimes these were combined with official Govt. recruitment campaigns for specific projects and jobs (nurses, social workers etc..), but often they were more of a lifestyle exhibition and then you could sign up with an "expert".

In fact, here are a few

http://www.downunderlive.co.uk/event-birmingham.php

http://www.workingin-events.com/australia/

http://www.australiamagazine.co.uk/?cat=20

http://www.workingin-events.com/events/opportunities-overseas-expo-birmingham-13-14-july-2013/

More chance of getting work in the UK as a sparkie...disgrace that they are still ripping tradesmen off with their false promises.

You sure of that are you PB? You wouldn't have a clue whether there would be more chance of work for a sparkie in the UK or in Perth mate. How long is it since you were here?

All depends on what part of the UK and what part of Perth you are talking about too and what type of sparkie, quals and experience you have. My son did his apprenticeship here and has never had a problem getting a job, never short of work during his apprenticeship either, he was with EGT who have to sort out work for heaps of apprentices. I have a friend who's a welder and goes from contract to contract, never seems to worry when he misses a month or so as he always seems to get a big payoff at the end of whatever he's working on.

Some are going to be lucky, never have a problem getting work and some are going to be unlucky. The OP was just one of the unlucky ones.

The onus is on a big Australia hence rapid population expansion. More people cut business costs and stimulate the over inflated housing market. Global finance and business increasingly call the shots with government facilitating to a large degree their wants and demands.

Driving a taxi if able to get it may seem a reasonable option in the future. Legal area another oversubscribed arena. I suspect living in an unreal world if those on high wages expect the party to continue into the distant future. Just take a look at the area of the world we live in.

I was chatting to a taxi driver who was taking me to the airport. Taxi driving gets a bit of a bad rep and he was telling me he used to work FIFO and still could but he can earn as much taxi driving as he was FIFO, difference is he gets to see his kids every day. He was putting in the hours though but you are really self employed and can more or less choose what hours you work and when. If the IT jobs Lady Rainicorn were paying average money maybe the guys would be better off as taxi drivers anyway.

Clearly I am not as savvy as you when it comes to the world of recruitment. I assumed that that an ad for a job is for a job that actually exists, or as in my workplace, if there is no current job applicants are requested to apply to a pool from which names will be taken when a job does become available. To advertise for the reasons that Lady R mentions I find incredibly misleading and unfair. It's fine not to hear any response from a job application when you are wanting a change, but when you have been unemployed for 6 months and have already applied for countless jobs (not knowing that they don't exist), it is soul destroying to not even get the courteous "sorry you have been unsuccessful" letter.

I've been unemployed in the UK and here. Here for 5 months when we first came. I've gone through agencies and applied for jobs personally in both countries and all agencies do the same thing. A lot of the agency workers are on commission and if they have your CV on file and they can match you they will. They will advertise a non existent job to do it a lot of the time. Don't expect agencies to be any different in the UK.