Typical outgoings in Perth... Help!!

Eddie10

Hi Guys

I am currently looking into the cost of living in Australia to get a feel for what my family and I can expect.

There is my wife, myself and 2 children (3 years and 9 months)

We are looking for a rented property around $550 per week and my work is going to be based in Belmont.

My salary, which will be our only income initally will be in the region of $90k before any bonus.

Please can someone give us an idea on what we should expect to pay on monthly bills?

Any suburb recommendations would also be welcomed.

Should be out by August..

Many Thanks

Hey, I used to live in Perth (and going back there soon), while the cost of living can be high, it is lower than other states (e.g. Sydney), and the wages are typically higher. There is just me and my partner, our rent was $480 for a 3 bedroom house, electricity about $80 per month, internet and foxtel (sky equivalent) was also about $80. Petrol is cheaper than England from what I remember, and cars are also pretty reasonable. A salary of 90k will be more than sufficient to cover you all in my opinion!

Check out gumtree.com.au it has everything you could ever need, we furnished our whole house for under $1000 (and nice stuff too), just be prepared to bargain!

Enjoy Perth, its amazing!

Hi

There are 2 of us . We live by the Swan River in a 2 bed apartment $600 per week. Our electric bill is approx $80 per month due to being in an apartment and with the breeze off the river we did not run our ac much over the summer. Our water is included with the rent , we pay $85 for phone and internet that includes unlimited international calls. Foxtel is $55 we have a quite basic package as we don't watch tv that much. We spend between $150 - $200 per week on food - we can be extravagant and I am sure we could do this more cheaply. We go out for dinner at least once per week and out for drinks twice a week spending at least $200 per week. $80 gets me to work for 7 days but I do have a longish drive 60km round trip. We hear very mixed reports about people managing I think you will be ok - hope this info helps - I remember the anguish we went through last year before we arrived, we worried over nothing everything worked out for us we are sorry we didn't do it sooner.

On suburbs depends what you are looking for. Lots of Brits in the northern suburbs row after row of new housing close to the beach . Freo and surrounding areas are a lot more eclectic with lots going on - we love it here. Not that familiar with Belmont - most places are good depends what you are looking for . I love Guildford and Kalamunda up in the perth hills - we wanted somewhere with lots going on within walking distance as we don't want to spend our weekends driving everywhere.

1st 6 months to a year is astronomical but that chills out for a while unless you start buying houses etc...however not a good time to do that when oz is on a downward slope.

Once set up with cars and stuff for your hobbies and its just daily living i would say not a massive amount more than back home. What people (myself included) is that you havent paid off a morgage almost and built up a knowladge of where is best and cheapest places to use. You are starting from scratch so you will get burned all the time. wages are about the same after tax no matter what many may tell you.

I probs spend 15% more for the same sort of life style

$90K is not a lot of money in Perth at all, $200 isnt a great deal if you like doing things. referring to an above post, cars cost a lot here compared to the UK. You can live on $90K but thats just surviving, actually living costs a lot more.

factor in lots of holidays as Perth is very remote and to get away you have to fly. I find I need to get away regularly for something different than Perth mentality (farming town type small minds etc..)

Edited by dustyroad

Agree with Dusty, the first few months are the hardest as you just don't know what stuff should cost so you end up paying more.

Is $90k before or after super?

If you aren't paying off any debt with that I'd imagine you'll get buy ok. Won't be able to have loads of money for savings or holidays, especially if you factor in school fees and any children related activities, but you shouldn't go hungry.

We live in a 4x1 in the suburbs and run 2 cars (although one sits doing nothing most of the time) and drive to work:

Broadband $99

2x paygo mobiles $60

Foxtel $132

Health insurance for a couple $320

Home insurance (buildings & contents) $124

Electricity $120

Gas $50

Water $100 (but renting you will just pay usage, so shouldn't be this much)

Parking $135

Fuel $200

Food $150-$200 p/w for 2 adults and 1 cat

Car regos x2 $1,174 per year (so $97 per month)

Car insurance x2 $850 per year ($70 per month)

Car services x2 approx $500 per year ($41 per month)

Extras we pay for:

Gym x2 $230

Cleaner $200

Life/income protection insurance $80

Rates (only if owning) $1,400 per year paid in 4 installments of $350

Wow, it's only when you try and write it all down you realise how much you spend! Our mortgage is higher than $550 per week, so in actual fact we need $5,590 a month to break even which is around the $90k mark. Factor in that we also have a car loan ($355) a student loan ($450) and a professional studies loan ($450) and you quickly realise how you need to earn quite a bit here to enjoy living.

Edited by nicolac34

• 2 weeks later...

Our bills for family of three are:

rent 500 pw

food 150-200 pw

elec 50 pm

gas 60 pm

water 20 pm

internet and phone 59 pm

foxtel 99pm

mobiles x 2 80pm for both

health ins, extras only 53pm

car ins 60pm for one care

Childcare 70pw for two days a week

Fuel around $250-300 for two cars per month

we have another car which was paid insurance for the year upfront which was around $400, and we paid contents ins for a year upfront at $150 for the year.

factor in all the other things you will have throughout the year, school fees and uniforms, drivers license fees - yes you pay for these! - car services etc.

we still have more money left here than we ever did in the uk and we actually get to enjoy the weekends instead of being house bound due to the $&@! Weather or visiting family and sitting in their houses! :)

$90k is very liveable if you aren't expecting to live the high life!

Hi Nicola34,

Can I ask who you have your house insurance with please? We are paying $283 for 50K contents but only in a rental. It is coming up for renewal so am going to start calling around again to get that lower.

Thanks,

Rosie

Agree with Dusty, the first few months are the hardest as you just don't know what stuff should cost so you end up paying more.

Is $90k before or after super?

If you aren't paying off any debt with that I'd imagine you'll get buy ok. Won't be able to have loads of money for savings or holidays, especially if you factor in school fees and any children related activities, but you shouldn't go hungry.

We live in a 4x1 in the suburbs and run 2 cars (although one sits doing nothing most of the time) and drive to work:

Broadband $99

2x paygo mobiles $60

Foxtel $132

Health insurance for a couple $320

Home insurance (buildings & contents) $124

Electricity $120

Gas $50

Water $100 (but renting you will just pay usage, so shouldn't be this much)

Parking $135

Fuel $200

Food $150-$200 p/w for 2 adults and 1 cat

Car regos x2 $1,174 per year (so $97 per month)

Car insurance x2 $850 per year ($70 per month)

Car services x2 approx $500 per year ($41 per month)

Extras we pay for:

Gym x2 $230

Cleaner $200

Life/income protection insurance $80

Rates (only if owning) $1,400 per year paid in 4 installments of $350

Wow, it's only when you try and write it all down you realise how much you spend! Our mortgage is higher than $550 per week, so in actual fact we need $5,590 a month to break even which is around the $90k mark. Factor in that we also have a car loan ($355) a student loan ($450) and a professional studies loan ($450) and you quickly realise how you need to earn quite a bit here to enjoy living.

Hi Nicola34,

Can I ask who you have your house insurance with please? We are paying $283 for 50K contents but only in a rental. It is coming up for renewal so am going to start calling around again to get that lower.

Thanks,

Rosie

We are with AAMI - I thought $124 a month was quite expensive compared to the UK (we paid £179 a year!) but I haven't been able to better it. This gives us unlimited rebuild costs & $103,500 contents & $7,500 specified items outside the home.

Hi Nicola34,

Thanks,

Rosie

You pay $283 per month for insurance? :err: I would have thought it very easy to beat that.

• 3 months later...

Our average costs per month for 2x Adults and 1x Dog. I consider this to be pretty accurate as I had to work it out for a mortgage application recently.

[TABLE=width: 257]

[TR]

[TD]Rent[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$2,600.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electricity[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$133.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Gas[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$139.00[/TD]