Bridging visa

RMT

Hi, I was on student visa and after my husband got job, we applied for 457 and now we are in 457 visa ,valid until 2017. So now I am planning to quit my studies. But again we lodged 186(direct stream) visa and now we are granted bridging visa. We need to travel overseas for few weeks.

1.So I am confused about what visa I am holding now??

2.Is that going to affect my travel plan??

3.Do I still need to take Bridging B when my 457 is still effective?

4.Is it going to affect if I quit my studies and my student visa gets cancelled?

Thank you so much.

Oh wow you have given that 14 minutes.....? I won't be replying to the question on account of your rudeness.

If it is this urgent you would need to consult a migration agent and pay for advice, we are just volunteers that maybe go to work during the day.

Hi, I was on student visa and after my husband got job, we applied for 457 and now we are in 457 visa ,valid until 2017. So now I am planning to quit my studies. But again we lodged 186(direct stream) visa and now we are granted bridging visa. We need to travel overseas for few weeks.

1.So I am confused about what visa I am holding now??

2.Is that going to affect my travel plan??

3.Do I still need to take Bridging B when my 457 is still effective?

4.Is it going to affect if I quit my studies and my student visa gets cancelled?

Thank you so much.

1. If your 457 visa has been granted with you as a dependent on that visa, you are now on a 457 - your Student visa would have been cancelled by the grant of the 457.

2. 457 holders can travel overseas and re-enter Australia as long as they continue to meet their 457 visa obligations. That would normally mean that you should travel during your husband's annual leave unless the 457 sponsor has given permission for at short absence at some other time.

3. Because you're still on the 457, you don't need a Bridging visa B but your Bridging visa A will be cancelled when you leave Australia and you will need to apply for another one after you return.

4. Unless I've misunderstood something you've told us, your Student visa is already cancelled.

1. If your 457 visa has been granted with you as a dependent on that visa, you are now on a 457 - your Student visa would have been cancelled by the grant of the 457.

2. 457 holders can travel overseas and re-enter Australia as long as they continue to meet their 457 visa obligations. That would normally mean that you should travel during your husband's annual leave unless the 457 sponsor has given permission for at short absence at some other time.

3. Because you're still on the 457, you don't need a Bridging visa B but your Bridging visa A will be cancelled when you leave Australia and you will need to apply for another one after you return.

4. Unless I've misunderstood something you've told us, your Student visa is already cancelled.

Thank you so much

Oh wow you have given that 14 minutes.....? I won't be replying to the question on account of your rudeness.

If it is this urgent you would need to consult a migration agent and pay for advice, we are just volunteers that maybe go to work during the day.

no worries someone else has helped me..

My input is similar to Ozmaniac's:

1. You're currently on a 457 (it would have replaced your student visa)

2. You can travel freely on the 457

3. You don't need a BVB as you can travel on the 457. If your 457 was nearing expiry and you weren't going to be back in Australia before it expired, you'd want to get a BVB to allow you to re-enter Australia.

4. Not sure, but I don't think quitting your studies will matter at all as your student visa would have been replaced by the 457.

To confirm your current visa status, you can check it in VEVO.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have deleted some comments from the thread, if you get fed up of answering migration questions and set out to provide incorrect information then may I suggest the migration forum isn't for you. People are under enough stress and anxiety without members deliberately setting out to destroy any hopes the member may have.

If the op cancelled their 457 then they would go to bridging visa E with no work or travel rights.

Perhaps, and I said that the OP would be able to leave Australia as planned. That is correct - people on bridging visas can leave. It's just the coming back that may be problematic.

Perhaps, and I said that the OP would be able to leave Australia as planned. That is correct - people on bridging visas can leave. It's just the coming back that may be problematic.

Perhaps you should re-read the op post. The op is currently on a 457 visa that does not expire for 3 more years.

The advice I gave - which was deleted - was factually correct.

While factually correct, it didn't give them the outcome they were obviously looking for. They have a 457, have applied for a 186 and want to take an overseas trip. Your recommendation to cancel the 457 would have completely messed up their long-term plans and left them with few options.

DIBP policy update:

DIBP has decided that a bridging visa that is not yet in effect cannot cease to be in effect when the holder leaves Australia.

DIBP policy update:

DIBP has decided that a bridging visa that is not yet in effect cannot cease to be in effect when the holder leaves Australia.

Thanks for that info.

Does that simply mean that the holder no longer needs to reapply for a BVA if they leave and then return to Australia before it has taken effect? If so, it seems like a good move - the way it worked previously always seemed a bit strange.

So what does that actually mean in a practical sense?

When I applied for PR I was on a 457 and the bridging visa would only come into effect once my 457 had expired. I got my PR well before my 457 expired. If I'd needed to travel before my PR was granted I would have been travelling as a 457 visa holder not a bridging visa holder. Before DIPB changed the rule if I'd travelled, I'd still have been treated as a 457 visa holder but my bridging visa A would have been terminated. Now if I'd travelled before my PR was granted I'd still be treated as a 457 visa holder but my BVA would have been unaffected.

DIBP policy update:

That strange, I was applying for Bridging B visa but because I'm on Subclass 444, it would be a waste of money as my current visa 444 get ceased when I leave Australia in a way of losing Bridging A visa too.

I guess I would have to apply new Bridging A visa once I returned back to Australia as I get a new subclass 444. Unless the current Bridging A visa would be linked to my passport while I get a new SCV444?

So what does that actually mean in a practical sense?

If a visa applicant applies onshore and is granted a bridging A that has not taken effect because a visa held by the applicant has not expired then departing an returning to Australia on the visa already held will not result in cancellation of the inactive bridging A.

Previously people have been caught out by travelling on (say) a student visa or a 485, or a 457 or whatever which has resulted in them becoming unauthorised non citizens. As a rule the DIBP would reinstate the A in these circumstances, but the clock would start again for a citizenship application.

Edited by wrussell

Honestly, you sound so frustrated.. You need a break!!!

Anyways things are clear to me now.