You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Nikey

The Australian Flag

Will the union jack bit of the oz flag change if the scots get independence?

Be careful.....I might bite:shocked:

we should disown oz and take our union jack back....tell them to go it alone.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

we should disown oz and take our union jack back....tell them to go it alone.

I think a lot of Aussies would agree with you PB

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

I think a lot of Aussies would agree with you PB

so would most brits, majority do not even know the jack is on the oz flag.

so would most brits, majority do not even know the jack is on the oz flag.

I read somewhere on here recently that it's only the 'Jack' when being flown at sea

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

The Hawaiian flag also contains the Union Flag. Enzed is thinking of replacing their's completely with something more appropriate to their country, I think Australia should do the same by replacing the Union Flag with the Aborigine Flag or maybe a flag with just a Kangaroo on it or another maybe a Kangaroo plus an Emu, two animals that never go backwards, they appear together in the Federal Coat of Arms.

Nigel's Travel Blog

General Blog

I live in Australia for family reasons. My family is in UK.

The Hawaiian flag also contains the Union Flag. Enzed is thinking of replacing their's completely with something more appropriate to their country, I think Australia should do the same by replacing the Union Flag with the Aborigine Flag or maybe a flag with just a Kangaroo on it or another maybe a Kangaroo plus an Emu, two animals that never go backwards, they appear together in the Federal Coat of Arms.

the aborigine symbol looks awesome, should defiantly replace the Union Jack...

I read somewhere on here recently that it's only the 'Jack' when being flown at sea

Yes that's correct, Flag on land, Jack at sea, hence a sailor is a Jack Tar!

Enjoying life in Queensland

Guest Guest66881
I don't understand. Will the Union Flag be changed if Scotland goes independent?

Secret Government papers propose ditching the cross of St Andrew, a white X on a blue background, that makes up a third of the current design if Scotland votes for independence, the Daily Mail can reveal today.

article-0-1CB9878500000578-121_634x392.jpg

+3

Banishing the blue: How the new Union Jack will look, according to secret Government documents

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2593781/Scot-free-Union-Jack-gets-Yes-vote-makeover-Secret-Government-papers-reveal-flag-look-Scotland-votes-independence.html#ixzz2xb1gbNRE

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I don't understand. Will the Union Flag be changed if Scotland goes independent?

It didn't when Ireland became independent but

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2593781/Scot-free-Union-Jack-gets-Yes-vote-makeover-Secret-Government-papers-reveal-flag-look-Scotland-votes-independence.html

the same issue will apply to a whole lot of other nations, New Zealand been the first to come to mind.

I guess there is an argument that the Union Jack represents the country which Australia originates from (whether that is right or wrong is another argument) and that country included Scotland (and Ireland) so it shouldn't change.

If it were to be proposed for a change to the "new" Union Jack, then I suspect the whole flag will be up for a potential change.

Guest Guest66881

:laugh:

Oh @PaulandDeb that's truly lovely. U made me smile big time with that one. I especially like the name Avril McTickle :laugh:

ps. My OP was genuine....I wasnt taking the pee....it was a genuine post and I didnt write it on 1st April but thanks for finding that one.....absolutely brilliant

Secret Government papers propose ditching the cross of St Andrew, a white X on a blue background, that makes up a third of the current design if Scotland votes for independence, the Daily Mail can reveal today.

article-0-1CB9878500000578-121_634x392.jpg

+3

Banishing the blue: How the new Union Jack will look, according to secret Government documents

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2593781/Scot-free-Union-Jack-gets-Yes-vote-makeover-Secret-Government-papers-reveal-flag-look-Scotland-votes-independence.html#ixzz2xb1gbNRE

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I think it's about time the Aussies got a green and gold flag to match their sporting colours!

That is correct. Odd Brit's don't seem to be taught that at school. The correct term is Union Flag.

Oh @PaulandDeb that's truly lovely. U made me smile big time with that one. I especially like the name Avril McTickle :laugh:

ps. My OP was genuine....I wasnt taking the pee....it was a genuine post and I didnt write it on 1st April but thanks for finding that one.....absolutely brilliant

Could always replace the blue with the Welsh green and the dragon for luck.

does not affect most poms on here as our flag is the union jack.....only the aussies on here should be bothered about their flag.

Fiji is another that comes to mind. I see a conflict in the colour scheme if the aboriginal flag replaces the Union Flag in the canton. A completely new design is warranted imo. Canada came up with an inventive design. One of my favourite flags. South Africa came up with the multi coloured flag representing the diversity. Surely Australia could go one better?

does not affect most poms on here as our flag is the union jack.....only the aussies on here should be bothered about their flag.

If Scotland leaves the Union though then surely it would.

If Scotland leaves the Union though then surely it would.

Scotland will not leave the union.

The Union Flag is a monarch's flag and predates the Union between Scotland and England so why should it change?

If Scotland votes for independence, and the UK changes its flag, that has no bearing on what Australia may do or not do, because the present Aussie flag reflects its history and origins.

As an Aussie citizen, I want to keep the flag as it is, and for that matter keep Australia as a constitutional monarchy, rather than a republic.

I don't want change for the sake of change, with no guarantees of any improvement in the way we live.

If Scotland votes for independence, and the UK changes its flag, that has no bearing on what Australia may do or not do, because the present Aussie flag reflects its history and origins.

As an Aussie citizen, I want to keep the flag as it is, and for that matter keep Australia as a constitutional monarchy, rather than a republic.

I don't want change for the sake of change, with no guarantees of any improvement in the way we live.

But I and most brits do not want oz to be a monarchy.

But I and most brits do not want oz to be a monarchy.

I want oz to b whatever she wants to be.....we have a historical connection and if they want to maintain that then I like that (snuggle up close sister). If however she wants independence and to cut ties then I understand that too. No worries.

IMO the flag can stay the same. As others have said it relates to history. Damn hard flag to draw as a kid though! Personally my most preferred option would be the aboriginal flag in the corner with the stars as is.