You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

lilpenguinlost

Queries regarding the Proposed Marriage Visa

Apologies if I have provided too much info in this thread. I have split it into sections for those who want to skip to my queries. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provid

First a bit of background info:

I am a British citizen (35 years old). 3 years ago an Australian girl came for a 1 year trip to the UK. During that time, we met and continued dating for the rest of her trip. When she returned to Australia, we maintained a long distance relationship. In that time she has come to the UK twice and I have been to Sydney once. She has met most of my family and I have met most of hers.

VISAs

I employed the services of a MARA agent, who after reviewing my details, stated that I had an excellent chance of being granted a "Skilled Visa (subclass 189)" (for ICT Business Analyst). The issue with this approach is that it will take between 8 and 16 months to get the visa - we are hoping to get married during Easter 2015. I enquired if the "Proposed Marriage Visa" would be a quicker way to proceed - which he agrees it would be.

1st QUERY

From what I have read, it is rare for genuine couples to have their PMV turned down, but the process can take between 3 weeks and 3 months. As it is a requirement for us to get married within 9 months of the visa being granted, when should I submit the application? (As I dont want it to start before August, in order for us to get married in April 2015).

2nd QUERY

I am hoping to land a job in Sydney before I move. Should I state within my covering letter that I have applied for PMV (I expect it would help as they wouldnt need to sponsor me). Also, should I state my reasons for moving to Australia (I know that personal details are usually excluded from covering letters, but this would give them an indication of how long I intend to stay in Australia).

Nov 2014: PMV submitted in UK via Migration Agent | Sept 2015: PMV granted | Dec 2015: Arrived in Australia | March 2016: Got married | May 2016: Onshore Partner Visa 820/801 submitted via ImmiAccount | June 2016: 820 visa granted

Where did u read that it's rare for couples to get their PMV turned down?

I think it takes about 8-9 months for a PMV which would work out just right for u :) but yr agent should have told u that. I really don't know much as i'm just collecting info myself and hope to apply for a PMV at some point this year!

Offshore PMV 300 Lodged online 19/6/15, Co (JM) assigned 17/8/15

Medical completed 29/12/15

Uk police check completed 8/1/16

Spanish police check finally arrived 5/4/16 (took 13 weeks!) Translated & submitted 11/4/16..... Visa Grant 19/4/16 :jiggy:

Apologies if I have provided too much info in this thread. I have split it into sections for those who want to skip to my queries. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provid

First a bit of background info:

I am a British citizen (35 years old). 3 years ago an Australian girl came for a 1 year trip to the UK. During that time, we met and continued dating for the rest of her trip. When she returned to Australia, we maintained a long distance relationship. In that time she has come to the UK twice and I have been to Sydney once. She has met most of my family and I have met most of hers.

VISAs

I employed the services of a MARA agent, who after reviewing my details, stated that I had an excellent chance of being granted a "Skilled Visa (subclass 189)" (for ICT Business Analyst). The issue with this approach is that it will take between 8 and 16 months to get the visa - we are hoping to get married during Easter 2015. I enquired if the "Proposed Marriage Visa" would be a quicker way to proceed - which he agrees it would be.

1st QUERY

From what I have read, it is rare for genuine couples to have their PMV turned down, but the process can take between 3 weeks and 3 months. As it is a requirement for us to get married within 9 months of the visa being granted, when should I submit the application? (As I dont want it to start before August, in order for us to get married in April 2015).

2nd QUERY

I am hoping to land a job in Sydney before I move. Should I state within my covering letter that I have applied for PMV (I expect it would help as they wouldnt need to sponsor me). Also, should I state my reasons for moving to Australia (I know that personal details are usually excluded from covering letters, but this would give them an indication of how long I intend to stay in Australia).

I think you should have stuck with Plan A, the skilled migrant visa. You won't get a PMV in anything like 3 weeks to 3 months, it will be more like 9 months. Depending on the occupation skills assessment, you could get a skilled migrant visa in a fraction of that time, plus be PR from the start. The PMV route and you will be on temporary visas for best part of three years. It would be a no brainier for me.

What occupation would you apply under if you did do this?

Edited by Rupert
  • Like 1

First of all, thank you for your quick responses.

Apart from the time factor, the other problem that I have with the Skilled Visa is documentation.

I need to get a formal personlised reference from every job Ive had in my career (to be honest, I think I can get this for most jobs, but not all).

I need to provide a copy of my contract of all jobs Ive had (I can provide a emailed copy of contracts for the last 3 years, but before that I dont have any - my current job is the only one I can provide a signed copy for).

I need to provide payslips for all jobs I have worked (I can only provide them for the current job I have - I shredded the rest years ago).

Obtaining all of this documentation will take a few months - again killing the timeline for our wedding date.

I have been working in my current job for 18 months.

If I went the Skilled Visa route, I would be getting a Skills Assessment for "ICT Business Analyst".

(Here's where I'll get cut down for my assumptions)... I assumed that as I have enough experience to qualify for a Skilled Visa, I would not find too much difficulty finding a Business Analyst job once I get to Sydney on a PMV.

True it signs me up for a few years of temporary visas, but at least I will be with my fiancée - for me that is a no brainer.

Unless there are significant disadvantages to going via the PMV/Partner Visa route, then it looks like my best option. I have not seen any restrictions in entry/exit of Australia being granted either of these visas - though if I did leave the country, I would most likely be taking a trip with her.

Put simply, I just want to move to Australia, marry my fiancée, get a job in Sydney and live with her happily ever after.

Nov 2014: PMV submitted in UK via Migration Agent | Sept 2015: PMV granted | Dec 2015: Arrived in Australia | March 2016: Got married | May 2016: Onshore Partner Visa 820/801 submitted via ImmiAccount | June 2016: 820 visa granted

First of all, thank you for your quick responses.

Apart from the time factor, the other problem that I have with the Skilled Visa is documentation.

I need to get a formal personlised reference from every job Ive had in my career (to be honest, I think I can get this for most jobs, but not all).

I need to provide a copy of my contract of all jobs Ive had (I can provide a emailed copy of contracts for the last 3 years, but before that I dont have any - my current job is the only one I can provide a signed copy for).

I need to provide payslips for all jobs I have worked (I can only provide them for the current job I have - I shredded the rest years ago).

Obtaining all of this documentation will take a few months - again killing the timeline for our wedding date.

I have been working in my current job for 18 months.

If I went the Skilled Visa route, I would be getting a Skills Assessment for "ICT Business Analyst".

(Here's where I'll get cut down for my assumptions)... I assumed that as I have enough experience to qualify for a Skilled Visa, I would not find too much difficulty finding a Business Analyst job once I get to Sydney on a PMV.

True it signs me up for a few years of temporary visas, but at least I will be with my fiancée - for me that is a no brainer.

Unless there are significant disadvantages to going via the PMV/Partner Visa route, then it looks like my best option. I have not seen any restrictions in entry/exit of Australia being granted either of these visas - though if I did leave the country, I would most likely be taking a trip with her.

Put simply, I just want to move to Australia, marry my fiancée, get a job in Sydney and live with her happily ever after.

Do as you see fit, you are the best judge. I was simply addressing the points you raised, that PMV does not take 3 weeks to 3 months and skilled migration could be just as quick.

Having said that, make an informed decision. You have made some rather extraordinary claims there about what evidence you think you need to collect for a skilled migrant visa. Of course you do not need all your payslips, I didn't provide a single one. And no you do not need "personalised references" from every job, you need to provide sufficient evidence of work experience points you need to claim. My entire work experience evidence could not have amounted to more than 5 pieces of paper.

It's a case of act in haste, repent at leisure. It is tempting to go for the quickest route to Australia, but if the price is 3 years on a temporary visa and other options exist then you really should explore the. On a temporary visa, you'll have a much harder time getting a job, getting credit, getting a mortgage, getting a rental property. The visa status will bite when you least expect it. Plus, for 3 years, you would be totally dependent on your partner's continued sponsorship. Even when you have a solid relationship, that power imbalance can be awkward and act as a psychological barrier.

Feb 2010 Prospective Marriage Visa | Nov 2010 Temporary Partner Visa | Nov 2012 Permanent Partner Visa | Jan 2015 Australian Citizenship

Thank you for everyone's comments.

As much as I am not going to like the time apart, I am going to go for the Skilled Visa.

Hopefully my previous employers will send their references quickly.