help for parents on 410 visa

jen80

Hi I am after some advice for my parents!

They are in Australia on a 410 retirement visa. They now have a 10 year visa but this doesn't cover them for medicare and private health insurance is expensive as they aren't permanent residents. They have been here since 2006. Both my sister and I are Citizens. They would like a to become permanent residents, any suggestions that wont cost too much or take too long????

if parent visa is the only way to go, any ideas how long and much the contributory takes and also the same for non contributory???

TIA

They are in Australia on a 410 retirement visa. They now have a 10 year visa but this doesn't cover them for medicare and private health insurance is expensive as they aren't permanent residents. They have been here since 2006. Both my sister and I are Citizens. They would like a to become permanent residents, any suggestions that wont cost too much or take too long????

if parent visa is the only way to go, any ideas how long and much the contributory takes and also the same for non contributory???

TIA

I doubt there are any suggestions that won't cost too much or take too long. In fact, that is probably precisely the choice they face. The contributory parent visa is very expensive but only takes 18 months or so. The non contributory one is not so expensive but takes about ten years.

Thanks Rupert, I had a feeling that would be the case.

There used to be somewhere on the net that told you approx. wait times for the visas and give a rough estimate of when it would be granted. Does anyone know where this page is???

Also, any ideas how much the contributory may rise in July?? Its a hard decision for them cos they are here and love being in Australia, so its do they wait on non contributory but over the 10 year period pay out the same amount in private health insurance as they would for a contributory visa. They pay $200 a fortnight for the health cover they need to have for their retirement visa!

opinions on what you would do would be gratefully received too!

Thanks

We are also on the 410 visa since 2003. At the moment we wouldn't be eligible to change to a parent visa, but not sure that we would if and when that might change. When we balance up the $43000 ? charge for each of us + other charges? That's an awful lot money balanced against what we pay for medical insurance and what we might we could gain from having Medicare.

it's a personal decision and depends perhaps on your age. Might make a different decision when there Is sadly only one of us left, sorry that sounds a bit morbid, but it might change the decision. We feel quite safe on this visa and know many others on it, some for over 20 years.

Obviously we have to have medical insurance, but I have had a few problems over the last couple of years, and not really very out of pocket. Also most of our Australian friends and friends who now have citizenship all have medical insurance, so it is possible that you might still decide that you need medical insurance, so still paying out quite a lot.

sorry don't know much about your visa options question, I'll leave that to posters who know more, or perhaps you could have a preliminary chat with an agent.

There used to be somewhere on the net that told you approx. wait times for the visas and give a rough estimate of when it would be granted. Does anyone know where this page is???

Thanks

Here is a link to the Parent visa queue page:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/parent-visa-processing-priorities.htm

Edited by Ozmaniac

Thanks Rupert, I had a feeling that would be the case.

Also, any ideas how much the contributory may rise in July?? Its a hard decision for them cos they are here and love being in Australia, so its do they wait on non contributory but over the 10 year period pay out the same amount in private health insurance as they would for a contributory visa. They pay $200 a fortnight for the health cover they need to have for their retirement visa!

opinions on what you would do would be gratefully received too!

Thanks

Hello Jen.

The Visa Application Charges for the CP visas (subclasses 143 and 864) increased last week, on the 22nd.

They may increase again on the 1st of July.

Consider also the subclass 804 Aged Parent visa - if one of your parents is "aged" (as defined). See our factsheet on this webpage:

http://www.gm-parent-visas.com/factsheets/

Note also that the taxation of UK source pension income will change when a permanent residency visa is granted. At the moment such income is taxable in the UK and not in Australia. Once a permanent visa is granted the pension income becomes wholly taxable in Australia. This should be factored into a consideration of whether the permanent visa strategy leaves your parents better off financially.

Best regards.

We are also on the 410 visa since 2003. At the moment we wouldn't be eligible to change to a parent visa, but not sure that we would if and when that might change. When we balance up the $43000 ? charge for each of us + other charges? That's an awful lot money

Hello Ramot,

I was just curious to know that is diabetes an issue while issuing contributory parent visa. My mother is taking medicines for diabetes, thyroid, and blood pressure. Everything is controlled other than her diabetes. Its not very high, but slight above the normal range.

Regards.

I am no financial expert, but the other consideration for us to possibly not apply for the parent visa when and if this is a possibility, is that to pay out approximately $100.000 out of our savings, depending on individual circumstances would leave a big hole in our finances, and we would to prefer to pay for medical cover over the years, and keep the security of savings, and to spend it on having a good time!!

it costs very little to renew the 410 visa, and it's valid for 10 years from renewal, and as far as I know unless you have a contagious disease, eg. TB, renewal is almost automatic, several people we know on this visa do have serious health conditions, but have had no problems renewing.

good luck to your parents with their decision, and I do understand that the security of feeling more permanent here is important.

Hello Ramot,

I was just curious to know that is diabetes an issue while issuing contributory parent visa. My mother is taking medicines for diabetes, thyroid, and blood pressure. Everything is controlled other than her diabetes. Its not very high, but slight above the normal range.

Regards.

Sorry I don't know anything about the contributory parent visa as we don't qualify for one, I am only an ordinary poster. Hope you find out and good luck

• 2 weeks later...

TIA

I was on the 410 visa until last December. I applied for the 804 visa in September 2006 and got the visa on December 16 2013 - total waiting time a little over seven years.

One distinct advantage of being in the queue for the 804 is that you become entitled to an RHCA Medicare card. We relied on it totally during the waiting period and got just as good treatment as we did before then with private insurance. At the moment there are tax advantages to being on the 410 visa but there are proposals in the most recent UK budget to remove them. Total cost for the 804 including medical tests is around $8,000. For comparison the tota cost for the Contributory Parent visa is around $100,000 but the waiting time is much less (1 - 2 years). Incidentally your parents can keep the 410 visa while they are waiting for a decision on the 804.